Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-10-2019, 06:16 PM

919 posts, read 848,355 times

Advertisements

No offense to anyone but it just occurred to me that you, I and Miss Hepburn sound like virgins discussing sex.
Ah well, I am sure that can be a mystic experience too Maybe that's as close to it as I will get in my life.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-10-2019, 07:02 PM

5,671 posts, read 4,352,826 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cfa-ish View Post
No offense to anyone but it just occurred to me that you, I and Miss Hepburn sound like virgins discussing sex.
Ah well, I am sure that can be a mystic experience too Maybe that's as close to it as I will get in my life.
Probably.

Old 07-11-2019, 12:51 AM

16,779 posts, read 4,982,520 times
Quote:
Arach Angle - you say "standard model" like that's a thing everyone here knows. Where can I get more info?
As your format means this may get missed - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Standard_Model

Arach can explain how the standard model fits with his special science theory in the science section, where it is allowed. Arach is banned from talking about it here due to his need for personal attacks on those who point out Arach uses science terms, but shows no evidence he knows what they actually mean (just like religious fundamentalists who use science terms to pretend their woo is backed by evidence).

Old 07-11-2019, 06:03 AM

28,432 posts, read 11,580,220 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry Diogenes View Post
As your format means this may get missed - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Standard_Model

Arach can explain how the standard model fits with his special science theory in the science section, where it is allowed. Arach is banned from talking about it here due to his need for personal attacks on those who point out Arach uses science terms, but shows no evidence he knows what they actually mean (just like religious fundamentalists who use science terms to pretend their woo is backed by evidence).
your wrong harry. You are so wrong that you have to report any link to the standard model to the aurthorites so you are not exposed.

to the lurkers ...

The fact harry has to report anything that links properties of god to accepted science should be a clue of what we are up against. when he tried to put his claim right next to mine he had to "report to the authority" when it became crystal clear he had a far less valid claim.

keys to expose these types of atheism.

"don't match the properties of god to the properties of system we are in.". you will see a long convoluted line of logic about how it "clouds" the issue of "stopping religion". Which is fine, but when they start acting like its more than that, its just religious at that point.

Old 07-11-2019, 06:09 AM

28,432 posts, read 11,580,220 times
Quote:
"the standard model" is the bases of everything we understand for now. Every volume of the universe seems to be working by the mechanism in the standard model. chemistry and physics is a good place to start. youtube how small is it 05. its very boring but its great at showing what I base everything I say off of.

You are a volume of the universe that is operating by those mechanisms.

"Life" is volumes of the universe operating under that mechanism. Some sect of atheism do not want to start an investigation of "mysticism" at that base line. They want to start at "stop religion/god at all costs".

The high ranking atheist at this site have lobbied hard to stop those of us that link what some spiritual people claim to the standard model. But it ok to use the standard model when we are showing where mysticism doesn't fit. weird right?

That in of itself should be a red flag to anyone that is just honestly trying to sort things out independence of religion and statement of belief about god.

Old 07-11-2019, 07:41 AM

Quote:
Is fascinating to me.
IMHO it is a genuine feeling or mood or mental state that people have. And it has been documented a whole lot of times in people who were unlikely to be influenced by others.
Most people have an innate belief in purpose behind things, it is called teleology. I believe this plays a role in all religious beliefs in that we assign purpose where none exists. We also suffer from cognitive bias, where we select evidence we like and which supports our belief over whether those beliefs are probable or not. And people like stories, ritual, and they like something outside of their mundane lives. People also have a hard time thinking of things happening with consciousness, even though this happens all the time around us. And they can not accept that our conscious thoughts can simply not exist, because their conscious thoughts are with us every minute we are awake. These are just some of the reasons why people are subconsciously religious. The mystics and the pagans reject some of the bizarre and authoritarian religious beliefs, so their journey takes them to a mystical world view.

Quote:
At the outset, sure, you can dismiss it as yet another form of self-delusion, and you may be right. But I'd like to explore the possibility that it is real in the realm of the mind. The following might sound woo-woo vague but it's trying to describe knowledge that cannot be captured fully in words.
I agree the mystical experiences are actual experiences, whether they are true or not.

Quote:
My belief (blind faith, really) is that it is a sort of "understanding" that is normally hidden from our conscious mind. Occasionally, the veil lifts, only to fall back again. Maybe there is a good reason for the transience, rooted in survival (surely the minds of animals follow evolutionary pathways similar to how their bodies do)?
Again I think you are close to what is happening. Our subconscious mind plays a larger role than many people know. For example many atheists will say they simply do not believe in gods, but I am sure their subconscious mind has evaluated the evidence though they do not know this.

This will be the same for mystics, who reject orthodox religions, and do not take the final step of not believing in all gods for some of the reason listed above.

Quote:
I refuse to believe that all mystics are charlatans or simple-minded, bent on deceiving themselves or others. So if it is real, what purpose does it serve, biologically speaking? And why is it not a permanent state of mind?
I know some mystics who are genuine in their belief, they are the ones who do not try and sell their beliefs. They are often gentle, helpful people who have an interesting view on life, especially when they are trying to have a conversation with you and their visions at the same time.

But then there are those who are charlatans, and they come in two kinds. First we have the believers who try and sell their view because their ego needs it. They often ask questions to pretend they have superior knowledge, but can never answer them rationally; and when forced to defend their beliefs, they need to resort to lies.

Then there are the pure charlatans who want to be rich on someone else's money. Unfortunately if there are religious or spiritual truths, they are overwhelmed by these charlatans.

Last edited by Harry Diogenes; 07-11-2019 at 07:55 AM..

Old 07-11-2019, 08:45 AM

21,020 posts, read 19,383,279 times
cfa, all this is between you and me.
I can't remember if I said this here, cuz, I'm on other forums.
If I may, cuz, oh my God...I have had so many (so called) mystical experiences...
And I mean the earth stops revolving, I am breathless and stunned...changed for months...
sometimes cry each day for months at the humility I feel and awe.

I one time started to write them done with times and places. I surprised myself, there were dozens.
These truly are so holy, so sacred, so divine that I would never talk about them here.
I would like to say they certainly are not hallucinations, dreams or imaginings.
They are 'given'. (I call them 'grace', but that's me.)
Sure, I have lived in a monastic order for maybe 5-6 years...lived an austere life. vegetarian diet for decades...(not now, lol)....meditated (or 'sat in silence and stillness') for 3-6 hours a sitting ....so I am different than some here.
As a teen I said the Rosary ever night, the esoteric way it ...I went to Mass before school on an empty stomach to receive Communion....So I am different than most of the goofballs here.
I joke because I love!

So I can't talk about the biology...I only know the focus of intention or the desire of the heart placed consistently in one direction...and the results that have happened to me.
'Other worldly', supernatural, divine, mystical or psychic things are common for me.
(My mother and I can pick a card from a deck and tell ya what it is exactly, repeatedly.
I think some people are just made that way.)

Btw, yesterday I was not banned, but am not allowed to post on 95% on another Forum, cuz from 2009 when I joined...
I went back to my profile to say 'Other', instead of 'Christian'.
Just a funny aside.

Old 07-11-2019, 11:02 AM

63,809 posts, read 40,087,129 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry Diogenes View Post
People also have a hard time thinking of things happening with consciousness, even though this happens all the time around us. And they can not accept that our conscious thoughts can simply not exist, because their conscious thoughts are with us every minute we are awake.

I agree the mystical experiences are actual experiences, whether they are true or not.
These two statements more than any other reveal a complete lack of how our Reality manifests. The ONLY vehicle we have for experiencing our Reality is our consciousness and EVERYTHING that manifests within our consciousness is real in some form or it could not conceivably manifest. The ridiculous idea that "our conscious thoughts can simply not exist" is beyond silly. The notion that mystical experiences can be actual experiences "whether they are true or not" is absurd.
Quote:
Again I think you are close to what is happening. Our subconscious mind plays a larger role than many people know. For example, many atheists will say they simply do not believe in gods, but I am sure their subconscious mind has evaluated the evidence though they do not know this.
Our subconscious mind IS the real us. Our conscious mind is a delayed playback of the very creation of our subconscious mind using the recordings in the brain of that creation. Our subconscious resides in the unified consciousness field that establishes our Reality itself, NOT in the matter of the brain that produces it.
Quote:
I know some mystics who are genuine in their belief, they are the ones who do not try and sell their beliefs. They are often gentle, helpful people who have an interesting view on life, especially when they are trying to have a conversation with you and their visions at the same time.
I assume this determination is the result of your vast psychic powers or is there some other secret way you KNOW who is genuine, Harry.
Quote:
But then there are those who are charlatans, and they come in two kinds. First, we have the believers who try and sell their view because their ego needs it. They often ask questions to pretend they have superior knowledge, but can never answer them rationally; and when forced to defend their beliefs, they need to resort to lies.
This is more of your vaunted psychic powers or is it your familiarity with their ego needs based on your own ego needs that drive your views? Is the mere presenting and defending of one's views automatically trying to sell one's view in your estimation? Can there be no other possible motivation? When did you discover that you had these psychic powers to know when others are lying?

Old 07-11-2019, 11:11 AM

63,809 posts, read 40,087,129 times
Quote:
Mystic - Is the God in "God's consciousness" an external entity (according to you) that exists outside of the mystic's mind but that they perceive? Your talk of 7+ billion consciousnesses makes me think that is so. Possible but unprovable.
Sorry I missed this question. God's consciousness is the unified field that establishes our Reality itself. Our consciousness is produced by our brain but does not reside within the matter of the brain. Its locus is the unified field itself - God's consciousness - and it is either resonant or dissonant. Prior to Christ, all human consciousness was dissonant and remained in that way separate from God. Christ attained perfect resonance and united all human consciousness with God's consciousness. When we have these mystical experiences we get a brief glimpse into and become temporarily part of and aware of the true situation.

Old 07-11-2019, 11:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
These two statements more than any other reveal a complete lack of how our Reality manifests. The ONLY vehicle we have for experiencing our Reality is our consciousness and EVERYTHING that manifests within our consciousness is real in some form or it could not conceivably manifest. The ridiculous idea that "our conscious thoughts can simply not exist" is beyond silly.
Please do not talk down to me while making stupid statements. Of course there are people who can not accept that our conscious thoughts can simply not exist, people tell us all the time they can not accept we simply stop existing after we die.

Quote:
The notion that mystical experiences can be actual experiences "whether they are true or not" is absurd.
Mirages. Optical illusions. Dreams.

Did I really need to explain THAT?

Quote:
Our subconscious mind IS the real us. Our conscious mind is a delayed playback of the very creation of our subconscious mind using the recordings in the brain of that creation. Our subconscious resides in the unified consciousness field that establishes our Reality itself, NOT in the matter of the brain that produces it.
Your opinion without evidence is once again noted.

Quote:
I assume this determination is the result of your vast psychic powers or is there some other secret way you KNOW who is genuine, Harry.
Neither, try again. It is obvious when you stop looking in dark places.

Quote:
This is more of your vaunted psychic powers or is it your familiarity with their ego needs based on your own ego needs that drive your views?
Another false dichotomy, when will the fallacies end? When someone who is obviously ignorant of science pretends science is on their side by using irrelevant science terms, this is someone who's ego is trying to make them feel important. Or have you never met anyone who's ego makes them pretend they were a special forces soldier, a wall street banker, or a mystic?

Quote:
When did you discover that you had these psychic powers to know when others are lying?
Psychic powers? You do not need psychic powers when someone misrepresents what you have said, or invents things you have not said.

For an alleged genius, you do seem to be unable to see more realistic options. Psychic powers, lol.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism