Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-15-2019, 08:16 AM

50,086 posts, read 20,691,451 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Julian658 View Post
New Atheism lends itself to and often overlaps with secular humanism and antitheism, particularly in its criticism of what many New Atheists regard as the indoctrination of children and the perpetuation of ideologies founded on belief in the supernatural. Some critics of the movement characterize it as "militant atheism" or "fundamentalist atheism

From wikipedia

And I cannot state this anymore. Atheism is fine and a very strong intellectual position.
What's your point? Other than confirming your willing, even fervent- misunderstanding of 'new atheism' by citing a wiki article that shows how it is misunderstood and misrepresented as though it supported your case- and as if that wasn't enough, you essay the misdirection of saying how you agree with atheism. Your beef is with New atheism as though it was some dogma arising out of atheism. And i think we know why. We have known from the start.

Old 07-15-2019, 08:24 AM

12,030 posts, read 9,336,151 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TRANSPONDER View Post
What's your point? Other than confirming your willing, even fervent- misunderstanding og 'new atheism' by citing a wiki article that shows how it ir misunderstood and misrepresented as though it supported your case- and as if that wasn't enough, you essay the misdirection of saying how you agree with atheism. Your beef is with New atheism And i think we know why. We have known from the start.
Because sometimes new Atheism is sort of silly. Like citing the Crusades ions of years ago, or mocking bizarre OT passages written by barbaric men thousands of years ago, or by asking how come there is evil in the world? Or by exaggerating the evil of Christianity and defending Islam. This is all kinder garden atheism and painfully boring. And like Mensa said, there is no need to read books about this.

Proudly professing atheism while mocking the religious past without having a shred of knowledge about why the past was the way it was. It is just bush league minor league new atheism. And that is why people get so defensive.

Old 07-15-2019, 08:35 AM

50,759 posts, read 24,261,465 times
Quote:
Ideally an atheist is just that---nothing else. But, I tend to find that for many atheism is married to a myriad of other philosophies. I have said this from day one and every day my hypothesis is confirmed. The true atheists would have nothing to post about.
No. And the reason we may "marry" atheism to other philosophies is because atheism (or whatever one's spiritual belief is or isn't) is part of a person's "world view".

Old 07-15-2019, 08:39 AM

50,086 posts, read 20,691,451 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
No. And the reason we may "marry" atheism to other philosophies is because atheism (or whatever one's spiritual belief is or isn't) is part of a person's "world view".
He finds this so hard to understand, doesn't he? Atheism isn't anything. It is Not believing in any god -claim. he gets that clear enough (which is good in itself) but then he get confused between what atheists then do individually and collectively in repose to the questions thrown up by being an atheist in a society where religion has a lot of influence and what atheism (he knows) actually is but he is confused into thinking that 'New atheism' is something else (and is trying to manufacture evidence to support this belief) with the backup in case that fails that -ok, New atheism is just like Old atheism but something is wrong with the 'New' atheists, and that is pretty much par for the course with the atheist -bashing 'agnostics'. And (like the silly and deprecating remarks about kindergarten' atheists debating the Bible) is again trying to fiddle 'evidence' to support his personal Bias, which I reckon we all see (and have from the start, and is quote common with anti atheist atheists ) is driven by an indoctrinated emotional attachment to religion, and in Julian's case catholicism, as he exhibits all the traditional dislike of Catholic no no's; sex education, Islam..

Quote:
Because sometimes new Atheism is sort of silly. Like citing the Crusades ions of years ago, or mocking bizarre OT passages written by barbaric men thousands of years ago, or by asking how come there is evil in the world? Or by exaggerating the evil of Christianity and defending Islam. This is all kinder garden atheism and painfully boring. And like Mensa said, there is no need to read books about this.

Proudly professing atheism while mocking the religious past without having a shred of knowledge about why the past was the way it was. It is just bush league minor league new atheism. And that is why people get so defensive.
Julian, your ..I won't call it ignorance..but wilful blindness is truly amazing. I have told you a million zillion times that the crusades are only wheeled out as a counter to Christian claims to the high moral ground or trying to slam atheism with Pol pot or the Terror.
A gazilion buzzilion times about the Bible being the basis of ALL the problems that America is experiencing through religion right now. And a couple of times at least about dickering about why the past was what it was. That has nothing to do with it, other than misdirection or perhaps trying to create 'gaps for God' or Bible or Christianity - credibility, otherwise it is irrelevant and i don't know why you even mention it. I hardly need mention your slimy sneering at 'kindergarten atheism' when it is clear that you understand very little about atheism and don't want to. You have a theist mindset and are thus - and painfully obviously - not Listening. The only glimmer of hope is that you Are being obliged to shift a few footsteps to keep from being overbalanced.

Why are you still being dishonest in the misdirection of the 'evils of Christianity' or 'defending islam' which is just...dishonest misdirection. It is simply you fossicking around for misrespresentations to justify your personal biased prejudice against new atheism which you see as threatening to abolish the religion to which you have emotional attachments. You have said as much and we all see this clearly. We understand and we sympathise, but that you are unfair and abusive and dishonest about the atheist campaign going on and Why you are is now clear to everyone but yourself, it seems.

Last edited by TRANSPONDER; 07-15-2019 at 09:01 AM..

Old 07-15-2019, 08:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KaraZetterberg153 View Post
I like talking about discrimination against atheists in our culture, specifically within the family dynamic. If your mother is a religious nutcase, and you favor Darwin, Huxley, Samuel Butler, Carl Sagan, and any and all scientists and non-religious thinkers, it can cause terrible anguish and all kinds of attendant problems.
I guess I was lucky in that regard. Even though in college my major was geology, and even though I taught evolution as a high school earth science teacher, my family was uneducated enough that they had no grasp of concepts like evolution. One good thing about them was that they usually didn't talk about what they didn't know about.

Old 07-15-2019, 08:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brickandiron View Post
I was raised fundamentalist. I know ALL about it.

But I’m also interested in discrimination in school and politics, in particular. Admitting that you do not believe in god would be political suicide at this point in American politics. And school kids pledge “under God” every day. It’s not really right, but if you bring it up, people get really upset.
I don't have a problem with voters usually not being willing to not support an atheist. That's free choice in our relative democracy. Just as I usually won't vote for candidates who foam at the mouth about their religion.

In public schools, children are no longer required to say the Pledge, or even to stand for it. If they are made to do so, then the school is breaking established law as supported by federal courts. I was forced each morning to say the Pledge...since I was the principal and led the morning announcements. I did have to reprimand (verbally) a couple of teachers who were not aware that they could not force students to say the Pledge. Our county rules were simply to sit and remain silent during the Pledge if the student chose not to participate.

Old 07-15-2019, 08:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishbrains View Post
Really? This is your biggest fear? Bigger than global warming, the nuclearization of North Korea, increasing income inequality, anti-vaxxers, rising housing costs, Netflix raising prices by a dollar or Trader Joe’s discontinuing the good English muffins? The potential that atheists might look for a common cause keeps you up at night?
Sounds to me like he doesn't want to "maintain cohesion in society".

Old 07-15-2019, 08:55 AM

Quote:
BOLD: Another straw man.
Are you saying that "theists [don't] try and impose their beliefs on others, or attack atheists as immoral"?

Old 07-15-2019, 08:57 AM

Quote:
BOLD: Islam apologist, they are a dime a dozen in the forum.
I'd rather be call an "Islam apologist" (even though I'm not) than be a hater.

Old 07-15-2019, 09:00 AM

Quote:
I have said a billion times that atheism is fine. However, new atheism is militant and aggressive and antireligion, there is a difference.
If you've said something a billion times and people aren't buying into it, then maybe it's time you stopped that line of discussion. Really, a billion times of anything is enough.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism