Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-13-2019, 10:47 AM

16,779 posts, read 4,982,520 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Julian658 View Post
The king of strawmen has spoken!
I used a fallacy because you do not understand the point, or is this another mere dismissal by pretending I have used a straw man?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-13-2019, 10:49 AM

16,673 posts, read 15,672,301 times
When I was in college, we had George Carlin on campus. I believe that the student organization would have invited a person immediately if they found out the administration had banned someone from campus.

Old 07-13-2019, 10:55 AM

13,011 posts, read 13,047,890 times
Quote:
As I posted to Kara, extremists tend to be restrictive. IN AMerica many colleges forbid comedians or speakers that are not agreement with the students philosophy.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mensaguy View Post
When I was in college, we had George Carlin on campus. I believe that the student organization would have invited a person immediately if they found out the administration had banned someone from campus.
In America it is not MANY colleges as claimed. It is the very occasional college for misguided reasons.

While it has happened occasionally, college and universities typically do not ban student sponsored speakers. The money used to sponsor these speakers generally comes from student activity fees, and most colleges do not get involved in how student government spends their own money.

I have seen a few instances where a speaking engagement was cancelled because of protests by other students or the community at large. That is more of an unfortunate security concern rather than a stifling of opinion.

Speaking to the occasional institution that has banned a student-sponsored speaker on viewpoint issues, that is abhorrent and those institutions need to reconsider their role in student life.

Old 07-13-2019, 10:56 AM

16,779 posts, read 4,982,520 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TRANSPONDER View Post
It's a bit of a tightrope act deciding what is free speech and what is unacceptable. i have an ideal view that Anything can be believed and said and if it makes the speaker look bad, that is their own fault. But the fact is that the governing bodies consider that they must decide that some things are not allowable. And it's a tricky one.

I remember in the workdays where the Communists were trying to hi -jack our union, they passed resolutions denouncing discrimination on the basis of gender, race or creed - but not on political grounds; they wanted to leave room for them to battle British Naziism which was gaining a lot of support at the time.

In fact..I suppose that the extreme and even violent Liberal left (Berkley) isn't being Hi-jacked by the former communists/Anarchists? We certainly had a fair bit of that during the 'Student loan' riots.
My point was not about unacceptable free speech, it was about institutions that have certain criteria they follow. That does not make them extreme, as Julian pretends, that makes them normal. So if a speaker or comedian goes against the principles of that institution (whether it is a college, club or a country), then they are not allowed.

And as usual, Julian avoids the issue. One has to ask what he would like to say but would get him banned from certain institutes?

Old 07-13-2019, 12:48 PM

12,030 posts, read 9,342,394 times
As Jordan Peterson says. Natural hierarchies can become tyrannical.

Old 07-13-2019, 02:05 PM

50,088 posts, read 20,723,660 times
That's why we devise codes of conduct to ensure that they don't.

Old 07-13-2019, 02:18 PM

2,269 posts, read 1,639,596 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hapa1 View Post
My Mom has been an atheist her entire life, but has always respected my decisions to believe in what I wanted. I realized at a very young age that many religions hate me because I’m gay and their god calls me a sinner and should burn forever in some underground hell! Was anyone else fortunate enough to have family members who are also atheists and understood you?
To the best of my knowledge, I am the only atheist in my direct and extended family. They ran the gamut of religious beliefs but all believed in some Christian religion or another.

Old 07-13-2019, 04:32 PM

12,030 posts, read 9,342,394 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TRANSPONDER View Post
That's why we devise codes of conduct to ensure that they don't.
The ones that design the codes of conduct can become corrupt and tyrannical.

Old 07-13-2019, 04:36 PM

61,288 posts, read 87,420,711 times
My wonderful grandfather who raised me was an atheist a very developed man with great ethics
The fact that I am devout Christian never posed a conflict for him or me
What we lack is a respect for the views of others

Old 07-13-2019, 05:24 PM

50,088 posts, read 20,723,660 times
Quote:
The ones that design the codes of conduct can become corrupt and tyrannical.
In which case, they stand accused by the very rules they approved. And you may consider some prominent theists who do not conform to the high standards of the religion they trumpet, while you are at it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huckleberry3911948 View Post
My wonderful grandfather who raised me was an atheist a very developed man with great ethics
The fact that I am devout Christian never posed a conflict for him or me
What we lack is a respect for the views of others
The thing about the rational method is that it is no respecter of persons, but of the best evidence. I have a very great respect for Bruckner (as some may know) and would vehemently defend his right to believe in his religion. But that doesn't mean that i would do other than tell him that i did not believe it if he asked me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism