Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-16-2019, 06:13 PM

48,564 posts, read 24,122,692 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mircea View Post

If you've learned anything in life, you should know that christians are liars.

So, reading what christians translate from Hebrew texts isn't really a smart thing to do.
You need not have gone to all the trouble, you are preaching to the choir when it comes to issues of Biblical reliability. The original fairy tails from which we have our common stories of Hansel and Gretel, or Cinderella, were rip roaringly violent and grotesque. What we know as those stories are the Christian sanitized versions. When those stories are referenced in modern times, it is commonly understood that it means the sanitized editions, not the authentic original.

What I wrote about Job is the common understanding of the Job story by Christians, irrespective of authenticity. It is from that common understanding that Christians are supposed to extract moral lessons. My post was about how bizarre those particular moral lessons are.

I do believe that "the adversary" or "the opposition" as I have also seen it translated, would of course be seen by a Christian audience as Satan.

There is an oxymoronic aspect to the notion of arguing about a fable's authenticity.

Last edited by Grandstander; 07-16-2019 at 06:30 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-16-2019, 06:25 PM

566 posts, read 678,011 times
Regarding Job-I worship a God of the impossible and bizarre, who likes to test people's faith and endurance, and I am a-ok with that.

Old 07-16-2019, 06:29 PM

48,564 posts, read 24,122,692 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by glenninindy View Post
Regarding Job-I worship a God of the impossible and bizarre, who likes to test people's faith and endurance, and I am a-ok with that.
Were you rooting for the Ralph Bellamy and Don Ameche characters in "Trading Places?"

Old 07-16-2019, 06:36 PM

50,809 posts, read 24,321,239 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Huckleberry3911948 View Post
I do believe and in god yes that is why ----disasters and crime stopped happening to me
I don't believe in god now, and no crime or disasters have hit me, either.

Old 07-16-2019, 08:17 PM

23,856 posts, read 13,749,968 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by glenninindy View Post
Good to know you think it's OK to kill someone's spouse and children as a test. Now I'd like to know where you live, in order to avoid living there myself.

I've always thought that the worst thing about religious faith is that it destroys the ability to think clearly.

Old 07-16-2019, 08:48 PM

63,809 posts, read 40,087,129 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jacqueg View Post
Good to know you think it's OK to kill someone's spouse and children as a test. Now I'd like to know where you live, in order to avoid living there myself.

I've always thought that the worst thing about religious faith is that it destroys the ability to think clearly.
As Steven Weinberg said about religion: "With or without it you would have good people doing good things and evil people doing evil things. But for good people to do evil things, that takes religion."

Old 07-17-2019, 06:23 PM

11,162 posts, read 7,637,791 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
I don't believe in god now, and no crime or disasters have hit me, either.
Me either. I consider myself to be extremely fortunate. Meanwhile, believers in third world countries struggle for enough food to stay alive.

Old 07-17-2019, 09:35 PM

41 posts, read 18,975 times
How true that is. I have heard/seen many different angles of beliefs in a "God." It is beyond frustrating, confusing, and offensive. They're all over the spectrum, ranging from "love/accept/don't judge" Christians to far-right and some in between. No one can agree on worshiping a single "God." It's unbelievable and the things some have done "in HIS name" are beyond embarrassing.

Old 07-17-2019, 11:03 PM

50,088 posts, read 20,723,660 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
As Steven Weinberg said about religion: "With or without it you would have good people doing good things and evil people doing evil things. But for good people to do evil things, that takes religion."
I don't often do this but Not to so would be discriminatory

Old 07-18-2019, 12:24 AM

11,019 posts, read 5,987,049 times
I don't believe in any sort of god or gods and while no jetliner has fallen on my heat or a volcano erupted under my feet or something, I can't claim that no disaster has ever befallen me. Then again, if the disaster that did befall me happened because I don't believe in some deity ..... maybe Jesus did it to punish me for not believing in him? Which makes me think - why would anyone want to worship a deity that would do such a thing?!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism