Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-19-2021, 09:54 AM

50,809 posts, read 24,321,239 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElijahAstin View Post
Certainly. And there is an especially long and proud tradition of Jewish atheism, owing to the fact that Judaism is an ethnic religion, and that when you’re born a Jew, the rest of the world views you as Jewish regardless of what you have to say about it.

I’ve also met some people who don’t understand this nuance. Some people are intellectual lightweights. Bully to them.
I'm curious. Do atheistic Jews tend to attend synagogue?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-19-2021, 09:56 AM

9,340 posts, read 13,007,749 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
It’s a mixed bag, but I’d say that apart from special celebrations and community gatherings like High Holiday services, the answer is more “no” than “yes.” I very seldom participate in the purely theological rituals because I get nothing out of them.

Old 04-19-2021, 09:58 AM

50,809 posts, read 24,321,239 times
Quote:
It’s a mixed bag, but I’d say that apart from special celebrations and community gatherings like High Holiday services, the answer is more “no” than “yes.” I very seldom participate in the purely theological rituals because I get nothing out of them.
I think that's true of "agnostic christians", as well. Most would not bother to go to church (at least anymore) if they didn't have a rather strong belief...or an ulterior motive.

Old 04-19-2021, 10:04 AM

Quote:
I think that's true of "agnostic christians", as well. Most would not bother to go to church (at least anymore) if they didn't have a rather strong belief...or an ulterior motive.
Yes, I see it as a continuum between purely theological and purely social. The closer you get to the theological side of the spectrum, the harder a “sell” it becomes for most people who don’t pay heed to a higher power. There are exceptions to every rule, of course.

Old 04-19-2021, 10:12 AM

28,432 posts, read 11,580,220 times
Quote:
Yes, I see it as a continuum between purely theological and purely social. The closer you get to the theological side of the spectrum, the harder a “sell” it becomes for most people who don’t pay heed to a higher power. There are exceptions to every rule, of course.
Exactly.

nicely stated by you.

Old 04-19-2021, 10:25 AM

12,030 posts, read 9,342,394 times
Quote:
Of course I do. Since you brought up transgender people, there are trans-exclusionary radical feminists whose transphobia is 100% secular.

You say you’re not that dogmatic. I say you’re somewhat transphobic.
I am 99.999999999999999999% for LGBTQIA+ rights.

However, I cannot conceive a transgender woman competing in sports (that require physical strength) with biological much smaller women. If you believe that then you are no different than the fundamentalist deity believers.

Old 04-19-2021, 10:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Julian658 View Post
I am 99.999999999999999999% for LGBTQIA+ rights.
If you’re against trans women competing in women’s sporting events, I’d knock that number down a bit. Maybe you’re 85% in favor. Maybe less.

Quote:
However, I cannot conceive a transgender woman competing in sports (that require physical strength) with biological much smaller women. If you believe that then you are no different than the fundamentalist deity believers.
I never said (and am not trying to represent) that there are no biological differences between cis- and transgender women. But I don’t think these differences are anywhere near big enough to justify excluding trans women from these events on the implicit (and quite often explicit) basis that they’re not “real women.” This is especially the case for trans women who undergo hormone replacement therapy, although I don’t think that should be a prerequisite for allowing trans women to compete alongside cis women.

Old 04-19-2021, 10:36 AM

9,345 posts, read 4,325,044 times
Quote:
I had to as a kid as the nearby town where my grandparents lived needed the bodies so they could hold a service during the High Holidays. My father did not like doing so but Mom insisted for her parents sake.

When my wife and I first moved down to Medicine Hat we were invited by a new friend and my wife wanted to see what the service was like. I know I was not the only atheistic Jew in attendance that day. In the time passed the land and building were sold to construct a commercial building.

We've also attended a Christmas Mass in a small w town we were visiting once and my wife is a Christian atheist. Attending voluntarily is fine and different from being forced. I remember in Sea Cadet camp I had to attend the Protestant service on Sundays as all non Catholics had to. I did not believe that was right back then and still don't.

Old 04-19-2021, 10:42 AM

12,030 posts, read 9,342,394 times
Quote:
If you’re against trans women competing in women’s sporting events, I’d knock that number down a bit. Maybe you’re 85% in favor. Maybe less.

I never said (and am not trying to represent) that there are no biological differences between cis- and transgender women. But I don’t think these differences are anywhere near big enough to justify excluding trans women from these events on the implicit (and quite often explicit) basis that they’re not “real women.” This is especially the case for trans women who undergo hormone replacement therapy, although I don’t think that should be a prerequisite for allowing trans women to compete alongside cis women.
Your philosophical position will destroy biological women in sports. I have to say your belief system with regards to this issue is no different than that of fundamentalist religious evangelicals with respect to their belief in God . You are buying the entire enchilada and leave no room for nuance or scientific analysis.

Boys are generally bigger, stronger, and faster than girls and this is often evident even before puberty.

Old 04-19-2021, 10:48 AM

9,131 posts, read 6,185,387 times
Quote:
Your philosophical position will destroy biological women in sports. I have to say your belief system with regards to this issue is no different than that of fundamentalist religious evangelicals with respect to their belief in God . You are buying the entire enchilada and leave no room for nuance or scientific analysis.

Boys are generally bigger, stronger, and faster than girls and this is often evident even before puberty.
I think we are going off off topic here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism