Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-05-2021, 12:10 AM

16,758 posts, read 4,968,659 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tzaphkiel View Post
bold above
sort of like telling gay people it's Ok to be gay as long as you yourself "don't have to see or hear them at all in public" "it's ok to be gay just keep it private" "it's OK to be gay just act straight in public"

sounds like that's what the post above is saying. so you don't ever have to see it. or hear it.
Again you take parts of posts out of context. Gays do not want to subject everyone else to it, and all it's associated trappings.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-05-2021, 12:23 AM

3 posts, read 1,619 times
Having visited all different kinds of churches, I do not think religion should end.

I think false religion should end.

I think the exploitation and emotional and mental and physical abuse in religion should be stopped.

I think religious threats and intimidation and brain washing should be stopped.

Some people visit only one church and they're put off by their attitudes and wrongly believe that all churches are abusive. They might have had abusive religious people play with their minds.

They have never been to a church that's run in a ethical way for unpretentious purposes and where their members sometimes get help in times of crisis.

They have never seen an abusive church member be kicked out of the building for abusing other members in preference over "forgiving" them.

They have never seen anyone be visited by a pastor with healing qualities after a death in the family.

They have never experienced the warmth of a church congregation where abuse is discouraged.

They have never seen a congregation gather at the church on the spur of the moment to help someone in crisis.

I wish people would stop associating religion with abuse and brainwashing.

Old 10-05-2021, 05:29 AM

50,766 posts, read 24,261,465 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by findingoutaboutthis View Post
Having visited all different kinds of churches, I do not think religion should end.

I think the exploitation and emotional and mental and physical abuse in religion should be stopped.

Some people visit only one church and they're put off by their attitudes and wrongly believe that all churches are abusive. They might have had abusive religious people play with their minds.

They have never been to a church that's run in a ethical way for unpretentious purposes and where their members sometimes get help in times of crisis.

They have never seen an abusive church member be kicked out of the building for abusing other members in preference over "forgiving" them.

They have never seen anyone be visited by a pastor with healing qualities after a death in the family.

They have never experienced the warmth of a church congregation where abuse is discouraged.

They have never seen a congregation gather at the church on the spur of the moment to help someone in crisis.

It seems like you just did that.

Old 10-05-2021, 07:31 AM

2,512 posts, read 3,056,040 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by L8Gr8Apost8 View Post
It's always very unexpected.
The "Comfy Chair" was the worst form of torture....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Troubleshooter View Post
Note that the people who did these things did them in the name of religion but were disobeying the religion involved.
It of course would be best if the deity(s) of a given religion with folks carrying out bad deeds under it's banner would come down from the heavens and rip these people a new one. Barring that and left to human intervention, how do you surgically extract the bad actors/deeds and leave the religion intact, very delicate and risky surgery methinks....

Old 10-05-2021, 07:34 AM

50,766 posts, read 24,261,465 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShouldIMoveOrStayPut...? View Post
The "Comfy Chair" was the worst form of torture....

It of course would be best if the deity(s) of a given religion with folks carrying out bad deeds under it's banner would come down from the heavens and rip these people a new one. Barring that and left to human intervention, how do you surgically extract the bad actors/deeds and leave the religion intact, very delicate and risky surgery methinks....
Hey, you're expecting too much. After all, he's a god. He's only all-seeing and all-powerful. Gee!

Old 10-05-2021, 07:41 AM

1,402 posts, read 476,797 times
Quote:

I don't (necessarily) disagree with that..... but who gets to decide what religion is false, and what is "true?"

Old 10-05-2021, 08:57 AM

11,162 posts, read 7,631,684 times
Quote:

So you're saying that good works make religious beliefs true?

Old 10-05-2021, 05:22 PM

28,432 posts, read 11,567,423 times
First of all some people look for words to target. "religion-ist" type thinkers do it. I accuse some atheist of "only here stopping religion", meaning they are only fighting religion they feel are over reaching. They are here to save us from religion' over reach. But once again, the some people, by their religion-ist nature, have shown they are more about a political end than and objective one.

And its not a bad agenda people. I all for it more times than not. ... until ... Fighting religion and taking steps to evaluate reliability what people believe in terms of this stuff are two different notions.

When people can not separate a discussion on beliefs from how they feel about religion it gets all twisted up.

Toss in thousands of post against religion, against any beliefs, mocking anybody that believes anything. And doing the exact same religionist type do just makes it look like some want it stops.

Some example of people that knowingly distort how to process information because they are worried about religion more than actually seeking some kind of truth in these matters.

1) Always seems to me that spirituality is the spark that religion relies upon to get started and to keep going. As such, spirituality may be part of man's problem as well. We humans are the only ones who have conjured up that notion as well.

2)Sortagod cannot be allowed to pass through inattention or being worn down with constant nagging, because it hands theism the logical default for free. Without their having to produce anything but fallacious arguments.

3)If you are not talking a god here (it's alive but not with a planning, intelligent, will) you are off topic. Remember the only reason for atheists to be here is in refuting the claim of a theism or religion or at least a spirituality. We are not here to put forward speculative non -theist alternatives. Take them to the science forum and argue them there. I'm not going to keep on explaining this.

Deity is light weight fight. Trying to convince people that know we are in a larger more complex system to suppress those notions because its for the good of the team, we are fighting for the same goals, and stopping religion is just more practical so leave those conversations out, "This is about stopping religion (fighting religion's over reach), is deceitful in the end.

Old 10-05-2021, 06:29 PM

22,149 posts, read 19,198,797 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruithne View Post
Not in the least, no.
Pre covid I traveled to Europe every year and made a point of visiting the local Cathedrals wherever I go. It's a big part of human history. I've developed an appreciation of medieval art. Pretty fascinating to me.
Also religion plays a big role in many people's lives. It brings them comfort. It's not for us to spoil any of that.
Your thread is futile though Phet because it doesn't matter what we say. People who have set ideas and negativity about atheism will disregard anything you tell them and say you are not telling the truth and tell you they know what you think better than you do. It's the same on every thread.
I can predict the responses to my post here already.
bold above.
does that behavior apply to atheists also? yup, like this:

"people who have set ideas and negativity about religion will disregard anything you tell them and say you are not telling the truth and tell you they know what you think better than you do. It's the same on every thread."

yes. predictable. and prevalent.

Last edited by Tzaphkiel; 10-05-2021 at 07:56 PM..

Old 10-06-2021, 12:35 PM

1,300 posts, read 959,607 times
There is no non-authoritarian way to end religion, short of a population wide, genetic engineering mental uplift.

I'd like people to be more critical of religion and more rational & empirical in their thinking. And for religion to stay away from public institutions and political discourse.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism