Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-16-2021, 12:50 PM

50,766 posts, read 24,261,465 times

Advertisements

From time to time things can get a bit heated on this part of the forum, and that's often when some poster gets frustrated because his religion (or his atheism) is being "attacked". But I expect religions to be critiqued by atheists on a chat/discussion board, just as I expect religionists to critique atheistic positions. What is the difference between a post that 'critiques' a religion (or atheism) and a post that 'attacks' a religion (or atheism).

I don't think we should ever let things get nasty here, and our mods do an a very good job of heading that off in most cases. But another part of me thinks, "If you can't stand the heat..."

Thoughts?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-16-2021, 02:07 PM

15,945 posts, read 7,009,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
From time to time things can get a bit heated on this part of the forum, and that's often when some poster gets frustrated because his religion (or his atheism) is being "attacked". But I expect religions to be critiqued by atheists on a chat/discussion board, just as I expect religionists to critique atheistic positions. What is the difference between a post that 'critiques' a religion (or atheism) and a post that 'attacks' a religion (or atheism).

I don't think we should ever let things get nasty here, and our mods do an a very good job of heading that off in most cases. But another part of me thinks, "If you can't stand the heat..."

Thoughts?

Thoughts? You should know.
Quote:
I did not say that literacy is a condition for spirituality. In fact, I said just the opposite. That spirituality doesn't need to be complicated.

All you do is argue. What an odd religion you must be a student of.

Religion had no place in that dialog. Yet you brought it in

1) to attack the poster, and

2) by labeling the poster as a representative of her religion, you thus attack the religion.

And you dont even see it!

Now we will watch while you wiggle yourself out of your own mental cave.

Old 10-16-2021, 02:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cb2008 View Post
Thoughts? You should know.

Religion had no place in that dialog. Yet you brought it in

1) to attack the poster, and

2) by labeling the poster as a representative of her religion, you thus attack the religion.

And you dont even see it!

Now we will watch while you wiggle yourself out of your own mental cave.
Actually, that exchange is why I started this thread.

But for starters, why would you say that "Religion had no place in that dialog" when we are in a subforum entitled "Religion & Spirituality"?

Does not a member of a religion act -- to some degree -- as a (not THE) representative of that religion?

I would also remind you that you said you would not longer have any dialog with me. ?

Old 10-16-2021, 02:29 PM

15,945 posts, read 7,009,348 times
Quote:
Actually, that exchange is why I started this thread.

But for starters, why would you say that "Religion had no place in that dialog" when we are in a subforum entitled "Religion & Spirituality"?

Does not a member of a religion act -- to some degree -- as a (not THE) representative of that religion?

I would also remind you that you said you would not longer have any dialog with me. ?
Wiggle, wiggle.
This is not a dialog, that is not possible with you, although you would love one.

This is to demonstrate how the OP becomes the very object of the topic. Your "critiques" are ALL attacks, so you no longer need to wonder where the line is for you.

If you want to critique a religion, pick your own religion to critique - Buddhism. Demonstrate how little you do know by critiquing it. Not the poor monks and the Thai people you love to berate, but the religion as you understand it and pracice.

Old 10-16-2021, 02:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cb2008 View Post
Wiggle, wiggle.
This is not a dialog, that is not possible with you, although you would love one.

This is to demonstrate how the OP becomes the very object of the topic. Your "critiques" are ALL attacks, so you no longer need to wonder where the line is for you.

If you want to critique a religion, pick your own religion to critique - Buddhism. Demonstrate how little you do know by critiquing it. Not the poor monks and the Thai people you love to berate, but the religion as you understand it and pracice.
Thank you for two posts in a row of attacks.

Old 10-16-2021, 02:48 PM

16,663 posts, read 15,654,903 times
There is nothing wrong with the topic of this thread. Discuss the topic. Don't make posts attacking the other members.

Old 10-16-2021, 03:57 PM

15,849 posts, read 6,308,360 times
That line is in the eye of the beholder. If you are questioning someone's deeply held beliefs it will be seen as an attack no matter how nice you are saying it. No one is actually being attacked here by any stretch of the imagination. If someone wants to be nasty they can be ignored or return fire upon. The personal comments made just make the yapper of those comments look weak so it hardly seems worth worrying about them.

Old 10-16-2021, 04:03 PM

2,512 posts, read 3,056,040 times
People become ingrained and naturally part of their belief system, thus making it difficult to separate out the elements/teachings/history/etc. of the belief and treat it as a third party entity for purposes of argument and discussion. Beliefs, in addition, become "camps" or "tribes" of collective like minded believers either in a formal organized group or something more loosely structured.

So argument can quickly become heated and divisive either among individuals or warring collectives.

Critiquing is when you can not only consider a belief you do not hold personally with respect and consideration regarding elements that trouble you or that you may take issue with, but also have an "out of body experience" with your own belief and apply it without prejudice or malice when taking issue with another belief.

Attacking is when you take issue with a belief with personal prejudice and malice and do not afford said belief respect and consideration.

Old 10-16-2021, 04:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by L8Gr8Apost8 View Post
That line is in the eye of the beholder. If you are questioning someone's deeply held beliefs it will be seen as an attack no matter how nice you are saying it. No one is actually being attacked here by any stretch of the imagination. If someone wants to be nasty they can be ignored or return fire upon. The personal comments made just make the yapper of those comments look weak so it hardly seems worth worrying about them.
In general I agree with your post, particularly the bolded part. I think sometimes a few of us do go a step too far, but it's easy to get to that point with -- as you put it -- "deeply held beliefs". It can also be a bit challenging to let the other person have the last word, although...

Old 10-16-2021, 04:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShouldIMoveOrStayPut...? View Post
People become ingrained and naturally part of their belief system, thus making it difficult to separate out the elements/teachings/history/etc. of the belief and treat it as a third party entity for purposes of argument and discussion. Beliefs, in addition, become "camps" or "tribes" of collective like minded believers either in a formal organized group or something more loosely structured.

So argument can quickly become heated and divisive either among individuals or warring collectives.

Critiquing is when you can not only consider a belief you do not hold personally with respect and consideration regarding elements that trouble you or that you may take issue with, but also have an "out of body experience" with your own belief and apply it without prejudice or malice when taking issue with another belief.

Attacking is when you take issue with a belief with personal prejudice and malice and do not afford said belief respect and consideration.
Should we respect something we feel strongly against? That's a difficult question, in my view.

Thanks for your thoughtful post!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism