U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 06-10-2008, 02:43 PM
 
1,233 posts, read 2,102,703 times
Reputation: 901

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by juj View Post
Oh and I bet your parents had Christian influences. They didn't grow up in a vacuum either.
Probably even less than I did. Yes, like many others, my parents were good, moral people without a Christian influence. I know that's so hard for you to understand but just try....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 06-10-2008, 05:58 PM
 
Location: Los Angeles Area
3,306 posts, read 1,481,089 times
Reputation: 592
Quote:
"Boring" is different from "stupid".
Replace the word "boring" with "stupid" in my sentence. But perhaps you don't know the ways in which the word "stupid" can be used, so I will help with an entry from the dictionary:

3. tediously dull, esp. due to lack of meaning or sense; inane; pointless: a stupid party.

That is how I was using the word....and its not much different than the word "boring". Crazy how a word can have more than one meaning huh?

Quote:
Again, they mean different things. I'll stop confusing you by trying to explain...
Sure they mean different things what is your point? That doesn't mean they enrich the language in any sort of way. People come up with the words so they can label themselves with something. We could sit here all day creating words for the infinite amount of different beliefs a person can have....not exactly useful though.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-10-2008, 06:00 PM
 
Location: Los Angeles Area
3,306 posts, read 1,481,089 times
Reputation: 592
Quote:
at least I understand where they are coming from. It's the agnostics I have a problem with.
Agnosticism is the claim that one cannot know whether god exists or not? What is so hard to understand about that?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-10-2008, 06:45 PM
 
2,955 posts, read 4,993,449 times
Reputation: 1868
Quote:
Originally Posted by Humanoid View Post
Replace the word "boring" with "stupid" in my sentence. But perhaps you don't know the ways in which the word "stupid" can be used, so I will help with an entry from the dictionary:

3. tediously dull, esp. due to lack of meaning or sense; inane; pointless: a stupid party.
OK - so it's "stupid: definition 3" - thanks for the correction.

Quote:
That is how I was using the word....and its not much different than the word "boring". Crazy how a word can have more than one meaning huh?
Not crazy - actually it's very useful to our communication.

Quote:
Sure they mean different things what is your point?
My point is that, if you care about all of those stupid nuances of our language, then deeper understanding of concepts can be had, and better conversations result.

Quote:
That doesn't mean they enrich the language in any sort of way.
Wrong. The enrichment isn't the point, though. It's about specificity.

Quote:
People come up with the words so they can label themselves with something.
Words don't label people. People label people.

Quote:
We could sit here all day creating words for the infinite amount of different beliefs a person can have....not exactly useful though.
If it would help people understand themselves or others better, then it would be very useful. If you don't personally care, that is fine. But why criticize the attempts of others to understand their world better and communicate more effectively? That's just stupid. And by stupid, I mean boring - but you already know that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-10-2008, 06:53 PM
 
Location: Los Angeles Area
3,306 posts, read 1,481,089 times
Reputation: 592
Quote:
Wrong. The enrichment isn't the point, though. It's about specificity.
Creating a word for idea X doesn't make idea X any different. Its about communication, sometimes creating a word for X is useful sometimes its just pointless. I would suggest all the words for the different sorts of atheism are pointless.

Quote:
But why criticize the attempts of others to understand their world better and communicate more effectively
I'm not criticizing others for attempts to understand their world better, creating a word for an belief doesn't aids one understanding. And its pretty clear these words create a lot of confusion, so perhaps people could just describe what they believe instead?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-10-2008, 06:59 PM
 
2,955 posts, read 4,993,449 times
Reputation: 1868
Quote:
Originally Posted by Humanoid View Post
Creating a word for idea X doesn't make idea X any different.
Different from what?

Quote:
Its about communication, sometimes creating a word for X is useful sometimes its just pointless. I would suggest all the words for the different sorts of atheism are pointless.
In the case that you brought up so long ago, it does have a point. You just don't care about it.

Quote:
I'm not criticizing others for attempts to understand their world better, creating a word for an belief doesn't aids one understanding.
There has been no creation of words to describe the levels of atheists - just concepts. Those concepts exist.

Quote:
And its pretty clear these words create a lot of confusion, so perhaps people could just describe what they believe instead?
The words "weak atheist" describe an entire concept in only 2 words. You don't know what they mean because you don't care to. That is different from being confused. Take the time to learn the concepts before you deem them stupid and boring.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-10-2008, 07:06 PM
 
Location: Los Angeles Area
3,306 posts, read 1,481,089 times
Reputation: 592
Quote:
There has been no creation of words to describe the levels of atheists - just concepts. Those concepts exist.
What are you talking about? No creation of words? So the word "Weak atheism" always existed?....NO someone started to use it refer to some concept. You can talk about the concept without the word, in fact most "concepts" don't have a corresponding word used to refer to them with.

Quote:
You don't know what they mean because you don't care to. That is different from being confused. Take the time to learn the concepts before you deem them stupid and boring.
I don't know what they mean? Did you look inside my head? I have never claimed I don't understand the "concepts" they are rather banal after all. I did claim all the different words tend to confuse people, christian and atheist alike.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-10-2008, 07:10 PM
 
2,955 posts, read 4,993,449 times
Reputation: 1868
Quote:
Originally Posted by Humanoid View Post
I did claim all the different words tend to confuse people, christian and atheist alike.
Yes you did, yet you are the only one who seems confused.
Since you have repeated that you don't care about any of this stupid stuff, I hereby stop wasting my time defending the cause of useful conversations - but it is possible to have them - you just need to believe...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-10-2008, 07:36 PM
 
Location: Los Angeles Area
3,306 posts, read 1,481,089 times
Reputation: 592
Quote:
Yes you did, yet you are the only one who seems confused.
I never stated I was personally confused. I have seen much confusion on the topic from others though. But you are free to use whatever words you like.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-10-2008, 09:34 PM
 
Location: Retirementland
1,234 posts, read 1,536,508 times
Reputation: 829
My childhood was... interesting. My father had a Book of Mormon at his bedside table and took me to Baptist churches. Mom never felt the need to make me go anywhere, I guess, but I'm not complaining about that at all.

As a child, I told myself over and over that the Bible was truth, the only truth. And then I lost all interest in it. I was an agnostic for a while. Then, last year, I drifted into atheism.

I hate it when people tell me I "turned my back on Jesus" or something, because I didn't. The guy was great, had awesome ideals, just like Buddha. I've got a lot of respect for 'em. I just don't believe in their religious institutions.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism
Similar Threads

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2014, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25 - Top