Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-10-2008, 09:48 PM

4,904 posts, read 6,014,158 times

Advertisements

I'd have to agree that atheism or agnosticism isn't as much of a choice as a realization. It seems that it's being honest with one's disbelief rather than carrying the weight and baggage that religion would make someone carry if they weren't being honest with themselves.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-11-2008, 09:18 AM

Location: In the North Idaho woods, still surrounded by terriers
2,179 posts, read 7,017,657 times
You do not "choose" your beliefs...or your thoughts or your feelings or your emotions. What you "choose" is how you act or react to them.

Old 06-13-2008, 05:24 AM

428 posts, read 1,630,550 times
I tend to agree with what's been said. I don't think we choose agnosticism or atheism. There simply no way I can "make" myself believe in something, even if I scrunch up my face and wish really hard (Tinker Bell is still dead. ) So I can't possibly choose to be a believer.

Old 06-13-2008, 07:14 AM

8,185 posts, read 12,636,097 times
I think that the people who 'choose' to be athiest as an act of defiance or because they feel god let them down really aren't athiest. They are about as athiest as girls that get drunk on spring break and french kiss their sorority sister are gay. Which brings up a point....it sounds as though people who are 'just' athiest or agnostic were born that way much as gay people are born that way. I wonder if any studies have been done on the differences between brain acivity between believers and non believers? I would be very interested in such a study.

Old 06-13-2008, 07:50 AM

1,240 posts, read 3,969,781 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MontanaGuy View Post
I know that many people are going to read that question and say yes, you've obviously made a decision at some point in your life to become and atheist or an agnostic. I've read posts in which religious people have stated that an atheist is deliberately turning their back on God or that they've chosen to be an atheist because it's becoming more trendy or fashionable to do so. I can't speak for others but I was thinking about this and realized that at least in my own life there was never such a decision and it was not an intentional act. Let me explain. When I was in my mid teens I clearly recall reading the Bible after not having been going to church for quite awhile and gradually losing interest in it. I was reading various passages in Genesis, Revelations and other books of the Bible when I was just struck by the fact that what I was reading couldn't possibly be true. I felt guilty feeling that way and kept thinking about it for a couple of months. At some point I came to the realization that I really didn't believe in God, the resurrection of Jesus and all of the rest of it. It wasn't a choice I was making, I was just acknowledging to myself that I didn't believe. Now that I look back on that period in my life which was over fourty years ago I realize that my atheism isn't any different from any other belief or lack of belief. When presented with certain information about anything an individual is going to go through a mental evaluation and come to a conclusion of some sort. That's exactly what I did, I didn't choose to become an atheist, I simply realized I was an atheist. What are your thoughts on this subject?
You're basically asking others if they choose whether 2+2=4 makes sense to them.

Old 06-13-2008, 08:07 AM

2,255 posts, read 5,396,729 times
Quote:
I know that many people are going to read that question and say yes, you've obviously made a decision at some point in your life to become and atheist or an agnostic. I've read posts in which religious people have stated that an atheist is deliberately turning their back on God or that they've chosen to be an atheist because it's becoming more trendy or fashionable to do so. I can't speak for others but I was thinking about this and realized that at least in my own life there was never such a decision and it was not an intentional act. Let me explain. When I was in my mid teens I clearly recall reading the Bible after not having been going to church for quite awhile and gradually losing interest in it. I was reading various passages in Genesis, Revelations and other books of the Bible when I was just struck by the fact that what I was reading couldn't possibly be true. I felt guilty feeling that way and kept thinking about it for a couple of months. At some point I came to the realization that I really didn't believe in God, the resurrection of Jesus and all of the rest of it. It wasn't a choice I was making, I was just acknowledging to myself that I didn't believe. Now that I look back on that period in my life which was over fourty years ago I realize that my atheism isn't any different from any other belief or lack of belief. When presented with certain information about anything an individual is going to go through a mental evaluation and come to a conclusion of some sort. That's exactly what I did, I didn't choose to become an atheist, I simply realized I was an atheist. What are your thoughts on this subject?
Interesting. I actually believe that the majority of people here in Europe who are Athiest and Agnostics, (and this is an extremely Secular Progressive Society these days) became that way especially after World War II. I believe that most have observed all the different so-called Christianity religions and never have observed the supposed benefits in it's members lives. Europe is the birth place of most all the major denominations and almost all of the worst wars have been fought here by people claiming to be of the same faith. So it was a stumbling block for many after WWII.

However your experience in reading the Bible is also the same evident reality of most of those who claim to believe in it , since their conduct belies that claim to belief in Christianity. It should be reflected in their lives , but it's in actuality , absent.

Just my 2 cents

Old 06-13-2008, 09:01 AM

14,164 posts, read 27,220,012 times
Quote:
alicenavada wrote:

I do understand what you're saying and I think a great many people who are religious feel the same way. In that sense it seems to me that you also didn't make a choice, you just realized that you were a believer. It's very possible that people just have a different way of thinking and evaluating things. I know I tend to be very analytical and I want to understand the details of how things work and the logic behind it all. Maybe people who are religious approach this from a completely different perspective, I don't know. I'm just trying to explain that I didn't make a concious decision to become an atheist.
I know exactly what you mean as it's the same for me. For years, as a kid, I was worried that I would go to hell because I knew deep down I didn't really belive. Then after a year of Western Civ in college and gaining a better understanding of how religions evolved, the evidence just backed up my beliefs.

I'm analytical like you, and need proof. I consider myself agnostic because I have no proof there isn't a god either. It's not at all a conscious choice to "turn against God". No matter what I do, I can't convince myself that the Bible is pure truth or that a particular brand of Christianity is the "one true and correct" religion. Then add in the fact that I'm gay and the lies and hatred so many Christians toss my way, and there's no way I'll ever believe unless Jesus himself comes to my house and performs a miracle.

Old 06-13-2008, 10:05 AM

1,235 posts, read 3,677,987 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by denverian View Post
I know exactly what you mean as it's the same for me. For years, as a kid, I was worried that I would go to hell because I knew deep down I didn't really belive. Then after a year of Western Civ in college and gaining a better understanding of how religions evolved, the evidence just backed up my beliefs.

I'm analytical like you, and need proof. I consider myself agnostic because I have no proof there isn't a god either. It's not at all a conscious choice to "turn against God". No matter what I do, I can't convince myself that the Bible is pure truth or that a particular brand of Christianity is the "one true and correct" religion. Then add in the fact that I'm gay and the lies and hatred so many Christians toss my way, and there's no way I'll ever believe unless Jesus himself comes to my house and performs a miracle.
My thoughts exactly! When I was younger, I told myself I was a believer but I knew very little about the bible & christianity in general. As I got older (& smarter), the more I learned, I realized there is no way I can believe what the bible says as truth nor do I accept christianity as being THE one. By the way, my uncle is gay. I adore & support him & gay rights in general. They way I've seen 'christians' treat him & other homosexuals makes me sick.

Old 06-13-2008, 02:24 PM

14,164 posts, read 27,220,012 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by acegirl View Post
My thoughts exactly! When I was younger, I told myself I was a believer but I knew very little about the bible & christianity in general. As I got older (& smarter), the more I learned, I realized there is no way I can believe what the bible says as truth nor do I accept christianity as being THE one. By the way, my uncle is gay. I adore & support him & gay rights in general. They way I've seen 'christians' treat him & other homosexuals makes me sick.
I actually go to church - my partner is into it and insisted our children be raised in a church. It's totally accepting of gay people, the people are extremely nice, uplifting messages in the sermons, support missions to actually help people rather than convert them, and great music, so I don't mind. I find it very odd that I can go to a church with 2500 members where I'm treated like an equal, and a human being, yet so many Christians come on here and finger point, claim gay people are "the enemy", condemn them to hell, make up lies about them, etc. One part of me says attending this church is actually doing something good in the world because at least this church is part of the solution in this country, not the problem like so many right-wing evangelical Bible literalist churches.

Old 06-13-2008, 02:54 PM

1,235 posts, read 3,677,987 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by denverian View Post
I actually go to church - my partner is into it and insisted our children be raised in a church. It's totally accepting of gay people, the people are extremely nice, uplifting messages in the sermons, support missions to actually help people rather than convert them, and great music, so I don't mind. I find it very odd that I can go to a church with 2500 members where I'm treated like an equal, and a human being, yet so many Christians come on here and finger point, claim gay people are "the enemy", condemn them to hell, make up lies about them, etc. One part of me says attending this church is actually doing something good in the world because at least this church is part of the solution in this country, not the problem like so many right-wing evangelical Bible literalist churches.
I'm glad you found a group of accepting christians. My uncle & so many others haven't been so lucky
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism