U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-15-2008, 07:39 AM

2,136 posts, read 4,390,101 times

Advertisements

I just read over MG's thread on funerals. I found it interesting that almost one year later a thread has resurfaced. I didn't realize it was old until I ran across a post from an old friend and at first felt joy by her presence. Then I looked at the date (had to take a 2nd look) and realized that it said 2007.

My question to the non-believer is, How do you feel about friends, family, fellow CD-posters, etc. praying for you?

Also, before you answer, I wanted to explain why I, as a Christian, might say a prayer for you. I was hoping that might give you a little insight into the Christian mind.

I will admit to praying for many posters on this site. I guess, in general, I pray for ALL posters because sometimes my prayers are for "all of the CD forum family". I pray for your safety and health. I pray that your needs be met. There are also times that I pray for a specific poster. If there has been a specific concern mentioned or if I have felt anger or hate coming from the heart of a poster. I have also been known to pray that God make Himself known to those that are seeking Him. My intentions are good and heartfelt. I don't see my prayers as something that could in anyway hurt you or your non-belief. They are not spiteful. And, if I am right, and my God is true, then they could only be helpful. Right? In my belief, my God loves you and wants only good for you.

I hope that I have done well in explaining myself. I look forward to hearing from you.

weather...

Note added: As I reread my post, I felt that I should clarify that it is not only the non-believer that may have expressed anger and hate. I pray for all.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-15-2008, 07:48 AM

30,894 posts, read 31,793,503 times
Pray for me if it makes you feel good. I do not believe I will derive any benefit from it, but as you say it cannot harm me. Please just do it privately and do not post that you are praying to save my soul from hell...I consider that nothing but a form of prosletizing.

Edit to address your edit... What exactly is the point of that statement?

Old 06-15-2008, 07:52 AM

10,946 posts, read 8,263,546 times
Pray for anyone as you wish. To me it is irrevelant and done only to make you feel better about yourself. I may be wrong about the motivation but feel certain as to the action.

Old 06-15-2008, 07:56 AM

6,715 posts, read 12,282,541 times
Honestly, weather, as with all things there are two sides. I understand completely where you are coming from. I know that you pray to God for a variety of different things. It's what gives you hope for yourself, the people aronud you, and even the people on this forum. It is with good intentions that you want good things to happen to those of us on this forum and so I don't take offense when someone says they're going to pray for me.

Now, with that being said, there are those who say "I'll pray for you" in a different manner. I had someone from a Church knock on my door (I think they were Jehovah's Witnesses) several years ago and when I told the guy I wasn't interested he said "I'll pray for you." It was so disingenuous and not filled with any sort of meaning, it was just a means to get the last word in. Not to be outdone, I retorted "And I'll think for you."

But, in all honesty, I don't take it as an insult. I know it's important to you. I know it's how you feel about how things work, and so I don't think it's any different than giving a kind or gentle thought to someone in a time of desparation or need. There's most certainly a difference in how it's approached and I can respect and appreciate the concern and thoughts towards others on your behalf.

Old 06-15-2008, 07:56 AM

7,916 posts, read 16,806,965 times
I remember once when I was driving home for Christmas from Denver to Montana and once I got into Wyoming the roads turned into solid ice. I was a nervous wreck and when I stopped for the night at a motel in northern Wyoming I called my Mother and told her I wasn't sure if I would be able to drive all the way there and that if it got any worse I might have to turn around and go home. She said she would pray for me to have a safe journey. I just accepted that as a gesture that she cares about me and she does believe in prayer so it made me feel good even though I don't believe that a prayer can do anything because there's not a God to listen to it. I did finally make it to my Mother's house late the next day but after that experience I always fly to Montana.

Old 06-15-2008, 08:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GCSTroop View Post

I retorted "And I'll think for you."
LOL. I love that, troop. I had a tee shirt once that said, "I'm ready to listen. Are ready to think?"

Thanks for your thoughts.

Last edited by weatherologist; 06-15-2008 at 08:42 AM.. Reason: did you see that?

Old 06-15-2008, 08:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanspeur View Post
Edit to address your edit... What exactly is the point of that statement?

I don't know. Sometimes words on this forum can get twisted into hate and anger and when I reread my post I thought, I hope no one thinks that I meant that only atheists shpew (what is that word?) hate and anger out in their words.

Old 06-15-2008, 09:16 AM

10,736 posts, read 31,809,572 times
I think prayer is a form of self hypnosis. I have heard catholics talk about confession and I can see where it would be comforting to confess all you have done wrong and to have someone SAY your forgiven, it sounds an awful lot like psychotherapy to me.

Old 06-15-2008, 09:17 AM

4,349 posts, read 6,623,393 times
I do not pray, but I do sit and let my mind explore. I suspect the mediation most of us take, weather on a relaxing drive in the country, or an hour watching birds feed in the lakes is a form of mental prayer, or a defragmentation of our thought process.
I donít look for any other higher being to answer my questions or reach down to give me a boost. I look within myself to find the strength and will attempt to open mental paths to help me in that quest of improvement in all facets of life. When I canít find an answer I go find someone (a person) to help open more doors. I think one of the things which set atheist and agnostic apart from many is we have all the questions and are in search of answers, and for me the best part is with each answer there seems to be many more questions.

Old 06-15-2008, 09:37 AM

4,597 posts, read 10,436,165 times
I suppose I pray -- I hear myself doing it in my mind, but I think it is 'thinking of sorts' more than a supplication. I have been known to solicit prayer because I do believe in a consciousness of all of us, so to speak, a communion of people.

I wish someone would/could explain to me the Catholic prayers said to 'pray someone out of purgatory?' Did I understand that correctly from my time spent in Catholic School as a small child, or have I misinterpreted something? (I attended Catholic School at a time when non-Catholics were treated the same as the Catholic schoolchildren.)

For me, prayer is more meditation -- a sort of, if I think it, it will be.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism