U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-24-2008, 04:15 PM

3,162 posts, read 10,288,469 times

Advertisements

This thread is for those who were Atheists, to share their stories on what made them Atheists, and what made them change their view.

In my case I was an atheist for a longer time I've been a believer, it all started in my childhood, thankfully my parents were never religious freaks who forced their children into believing, actually they never go to church hehehehe but both of them believe in something higher, however my grandmother kept constantly pressuring them to get closer to God, and she always made us go to church with her which I hated, back in those days I considered a complete waste of time to go and keep listening empty words said by empty people, I've always liked to go deep in the things that interested me, so after studying the bible and the catholic faith, I simply didn't agree with it, and decided that wasn't for me, you can imagine what I had to endure being an 8 years old who had decided to be an atheist, I remember friends of mine telling me, my father told me not to associate with you because your an atheist, or people getting shocked every time I said I was an atheist, and trying to convert me with scary stories about hell and eternal damnation, I also remember how people kept pushing my mom to send us to cathecism to prepare ourselves (my brother and I) for our first comuniion telling her the same horrible stories, she gave in to this pressure and sent us to cathecism which I hated, fortunately the people in the cathecism got scared of my constant questionings about the faith and strong convictions about atheism and told my mom that they couldn't receive me anymore, but in the meantime my peers at cathecism looked at me like some kind of devilspawn hahahaha, all this made me associate religion with all those nasty experiences and reject it, please note that I have nothing against any religion or think that there is only one true religion i'm simply trying to describe my feelings towards religion back in those early years of my life, actually these was another reason to hate anything that had to do with religious stuff, I found tremendously unfair to discriminate people for having different beliefs and believing these people's fate will be eternal punishment.

Well time passed and I felt really comfortable being an atheist, trying to give a rational explanation to anything that happened in my life and thinking science had all the answers, yet there was always a part of me who was afraid of death, I had attachement to this world, and wanted to see how science, technology and societies kept evolving, back in those days, I wanted to save money in order to freeze my body at old age hoping I could be brought back in a time with more advanced technology, another thought I had back in those days was to download my consciousness to a computer and things like that, anything was better than total oblivion after death.

It was in those days that I started to discover that there were different religions outside the traditional christian faiths I had been exposed to, and as I've always liked to read I found concepts like reincarnation, karma, higher planes of existence, perfected beings, etc very interesting, I also discovered that there were religions who didn't oppose science, but complemented it, all this made me wonder, hmmmm after knowing these things, why not putting them into practice, the worst thing that can happen is that I confirm that this is nothing but fantasies, then I started to be really aware and pay a lot of attention to things that happened in my life and confirmed the existence of karma, for me this was a surprising discovery! I thought hmmmm there is something here that is working for me, I continued making experiments about the law of karma and I saw more and more results which kept me surprising, this made me want to know more and experience more, this made me research buddhism, hinduism, and other dharmic religions, reading about all these made me feel something that I had never felt in my whole life, so I kept experiencing more and more, I thought hmmm ok I've never prayed before in my life, I'll start doing it and see what happens, then I saw the power of prayer working in my life, this surprised me again because I was actually experiencing in my own flesh these things, and I was also feeling something in the deepest part of me that I've never felt before, and beautiful things started to happen in my life, this made me want to know more, it was then when I found my guru, what caught my attention is that when I read his teachings I felt his words sincere, and I loved the fact how he explained metaphysical things on scientific terms, and how he said things like Saints of all religions, I bow to you all, or that the easiest way to find God, is to love everybody with my entire heart, this perfect, eternal and unconditional love touched my heart like nothing had, now I want to say that all this was my experience, I don't have the intention of converting anyone, simply describing what made me believe, well, after finding my guru and starting to study and know more about what religion truly is, I kept again putting into practice his teachings, and again i kept seeing results which made my faith stronger and my love for mankind and all living beings stronger as well.

Well this is my experience, the last thing I have to say is that I believe it was a great thing to had been an atheist for some time, because this made me tolerant, and it also made me a person who doesn't blindly believe in things that haven't been thoroughly tested by my own experiments, it also made me understand why a lot of people don't want to know anything that has to do with religion

share your stories!!

Love and Light!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism