U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 06-25-2008, 10:58 AM

553 posts, read 141,277 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by veralidaine View Post
Love this!
Just about sums it up. I think people keep forgetting to take into consideration the atmosphere of those times. To the Jew, the end of the world was nigh. As a result, messiah expectations were rampant. Possibly an itinerant, wandering preacher known as Jesus began preaching that the "kingdom is at hand" and a call to a more intimate relationship with God contrary to the rigid rituals of Judaism caught the attention of many. He was quickly shut up and from then his followers began legends that would grow beyond anyone's wildest dreams, carefully crafted over the next 500 or more years. All the other messiahs were frauds in their estimation, but their Jesus went away to build mansions for them and would be right back.
Quick reply to this message

Old 06-25-2008, 12:53 PM

2,077 posts, read 4,181,094 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deb in VA View Post
Those of you that believe Jesus did exist....who was he? Discuss
Who's Jesus? That's the name of my gardener,Jesus(Hey-zus). He does a great job pruning our magnolias!

Old 06-25-2008, 03:24 PM

7,508 posts, read 14,634,951 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cleatis View Post
The guy would probably want to come back and slap a few people around for twisting his ideas.
I have often fantasized about Jesus coming back and appearing before the members of the Christian Right. He informs them that they had it all wrong and that he was sending them all to Hell for the sin of spreading a false ideal in the name of God. Now that would be divine justice.

Old 06-25-2008, 06:41 PM

17 posts, read 34,612 times
I think maybe Jesus was a real guy. He would have been very charismatic and had some really radical ideas for his time. He was conceived the old fashioned way. I think he and Mary Mag were a couple and maybe had kids. Jesus also had a big ego and his own political agenda. His old lady's money and influential family didn't hurt, either.

Unfortunately, Jesus didn't know when to shut up and made the Romans and a bunch of others really mad. Then he got whacked. The end? No. Ever play the game 'Alligator' where the first person whispers a word to the next and the next. By the time it gets to the last person it has turned into a totally different word. His followers kept talking and that friend of a friend thing happened. (Urban legend)

And here we are today with a really whacky story that is still told as interpreted by the latest friend of a friend.

I also think that today's Christians would totally diss him if he appeared as the short, curly haired Jew that he was. He'd be stinky, too.

Old 06-25-2008, 06:59 PM

25,489 posts, read 11,581,227 times
I think yydaynay515 hit on something. It would be tough for any of us to fully comprehend what life was like 2000 years ago. We have mental images from sunday school or the media, etc., but how many of us can really think in terms of the world 2000 years ago?

But like anyone who lived in the 1930's america, it is hard to use words to convey the way life was in the depression. All we see are b&w photos. We don't know the insecurity, the hunger, and the worry they went through.

With that thought, I think Jesus came into the world at a time when the jewish religious leaders were exercising great power and authority over the jewish people. And I think Jesus sparked their fears by his message.

I also think humans need something to explain their place in the universe, and religion fills that need. *I am not implying EVERYONE needs religion to explain the cosmos...

I also think christianity is 2000 years old and the vine is growing pretty far from its initial starting point in more ways than one.

Last edited by _redbird_; 06-25-2008 at 07:18 PM..

Old 06-25-2008, 07:31 PM

2,955 posts, read 4,995,141 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by redbird4848 View Post
It would be tough for any of us to fully comprehend what life was like 2000 years ago. We have mental images from sunday school or the media, etc., but how many of us can really think in terms of the world 2000 years ago?
It's true -- but historians and authors try to do this regularly. Some of them are very good at it.
I like the book The Last Temptation of Christ by Milan Kundera because I think it is an excellent re-creation of the character (Jesus) and the time period in which he lived and died. It's historical fiction - and does not claim to be fact (that didn't stop Christians from protesting it) but, as someone who believes that Jesus did exist but was not a messiah, I found it to be a very realistic portrayal. By the way, the book doesn't even suggest that Jesus was not who he said he was, it just adds parts where Jesus is tempted to live his life as a normal person (blasphemy!) rather than be a martyr. It's a fascinating read.

Old 06-26-2008, 12:05 AM

1,889 posts, read 2,017,142 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by K-Luv View Post
I have often fantasized about Jesus coming back and appearing before the members of the Christian Right. He informs them that they had it all wrong and that he was sending them all to Hell for the sin of spreading a false ideal in the name of God. Now that would be divine justice.
I might even say Amen at that point!

Old 06-26-2008, 12:10 AM

3,415 posts, read 4,586,088 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by K-Luv View Post
What about the Christian Left?

Old 06-26-2008, 05:38 AM

4,176 posts, read 10,168,503 times
I don't know if he existed or not, but what I do know for sure is that Buddha taught the same things 500 years earlier.

Old 06-26-2008, 06:47 AM

4,349 posts, read 4,560,999 times
My gut feeling is that he never existed, and is a repetition of several thousands of years of different gods used to control a population who had no central law systems.
We can see in history the same story was used in Egypt and prior to that in several areas of the Middle East for several sun gods. (Virgin birth, giving life to the dead, angles, mangers, born in a barn, hiding from an evil king, crucifixion, rose from the dead on the third day) With it being the exact same story used over and over again and with no history to confirm he ever lived I think I would place in the category of one more character in the cultural mythology of Western Civilization.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism