Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-24-2015, 01:07 PM

19,956 posts, read 13,450,937 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruithne View Post
Can someone please explain jokes #2232 and #2233.
I don't get either of them.
I don't get 2233 either but 2232 isn't really a joke so much as pointing out the commercial opportunism of a particular church, renting out sign space to a commercial enterprise. As to the cell phone tower, here in the US at least, churches and schools are often approached by cellular operators to lease roof space for them. In fact it's a source of some minor controversy among the electromagnetically sensitive to put them on school buildings. At any rate, given the low utilization rates of church buildings (they are often shuttered except during services and the occasional special event) it's understandable that they would leap at the chance for some steady residual income such as from a cell phone tower. Another tactic is to rent some or all of the facility out as a meeting space for (sufficiently tame) secular events, weddings, etc.

I don't really have that much of a malfunction with the bank sign, although it has some ironic value I guess.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-24-2015, 01:19 PM

605 posts, read 704,537 times
I thought #2232 was ironic as well, but it is the state of the things as far as organized religion goes anyways. Also, I guess any extra income they receive from commercialization would be tax-exempt also?

#2233 is much more funny and cute.

Old 04-24-2015, 02:05 PM

5,535 posts, read 7,105,410 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Annilyna View Post

#2233 is much more funny and cute.
"And, now we wait", for the water to change into wine?

Old 04-24-2015, 02:13 PM

10,522 posts, read 6,157,413 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mordant View Post
I don't get 2233 either but 2232 isn't really a joke so much as pointing out the commercial opportunism of a particular church, renting out sign space to a commercial enterprise. As to the cell phone tower, here in the US at least, churches and schools are often approached by cellular operators to lease roof space for them. In fact it's a source of some minor controversy among the electromagnetically sensitive to put them on school buildings. At any rate, given the low utilization rates of church buildings (they are often shuttered except during services and the occasional special event) it's understandable that they would leap at the chance for some steady residual income such as from a cell phone tower. Another tactic is to rent some or all of the facility out as a meeting space for (sufficiently tame) secular events, weddings, etc.

I don't really have that much of a malfunction with the bank sign, although it has some ironic value I guess.
Thanks. I didn't recognise the building as a church until you pointed it out, then I noticed the cross (almost obscured). Even then I wouldn't have got the cell phone tower reference.

The wine glass joke - I guess yes - water into wine. What's the significance of the little buildings drawn on the glass?

Old 04-24-2015, 02:14 PM

3,805 posts, read 6,353,637 times
This might help with #2232.

Matthew 21:12-13New International Version (NIV)

Jesus at the Temple
Jesus entered the temple courts and drove out all who were buying and selling there. He overturned the tables of the money changers (banks) and the benches of those selling doves. “It is written,” he said to them, “‘My house will be called a house of prayer,’[a] but you are making it ‘a den of robbers.’[b]”

The church pictured in the post has a billboard for a bank - i.e. "money changers". Therefore they are "defiling" the purpose of the church, which is for praying, by allowing the "money changers" to rent space from them. Does that help?

Old 04-24-2015, 02:35 PM

10,522 posts, read 6,157,413 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sayulita View Post
This might help with #2232.

Matthew 21:12-13New International Version (NIV)

Jesus at the Temple
Jesus entered the temple courts and drove out all who were buying and selling there. He overturned the tables of the money changers (banks) and the benches of those selling doves. “It is written,†he said to them, “‘My house will be called a house of prayer,’[a] but you are making it ‘a den of robbers.’[b]â€

The church pictured in the post has a billboard for a bank - i.e. "money changers". Therefore they are "defiling" the purpose of the church, which is for praying, by allowing the "money changers" to rent space from them. Does that help?
Yes it does. Thanks.

Old 04-24-2015, 03:34 PM

605 posts, read 704,537 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tantalust View Post
"And, now we wait", for the water to change into wine?
Yes, you got it.

Old 04-26-2015, 04:31 AM

5,563 posts, read 7,211,173 times
and Noah for something completely different...

Old 04-26-2015, 10:44 AM

5,851 posts, read 5,275,259 times
Not really a joke but I love this and laugh EVERY time I see it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7INIhD9P0Pw

Cat

Old 04-26-2015, 12:33 PM

5,563 posts, read 7,211,173 times
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism