Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-05-2008, 03:14 PM

2,630 posts, read 4,939,060 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by b. frank View Post
Yep, I hear you. In fact, I have been reading about Zen lately and it is renewing my interest in Buddhism (I used to be what you might call a "seeker") to the point that I am starting to identify with it even though I am not practicing it (at least not on purpose).

So, Zen will accept me as I am? Is Zen really a philosophy?
I wouldn't even call it a philosophy, more like being spontaneous.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-05-2008, 05:59 PM

5,160 posts, read 9,169,978 times
Tittha Sutta AN 3.61

Having approached the priests & contemplatives who hold that...
'Whatever a person experiences... is all caused by a supreme being's act of creation,'
I said to them: 'Is it true that you hold that... "Whatever a person experiences... is all caused by a supreme being's act of creation?"'
Thus asked by me, they admitted, 'Yes.'
Then I said to them, 'Then in that case, a person is a killer of living beings because of a supreme being's act of creation. A person is a thief... unchaste... a liar... a divisive speaker... a harsh speaker... an idle chatterer... greedy... malicious... a holder of wrong views because of a supreme being's act of creation.'
When one falls back on creation by a supreme being as being essential, monks, there is no desire, no effort [at the thought], 'This should be done. This shouldn't be done.' When one can't pin down as a truth or reality what should & shouldn't be done, one dwells bewildered & unprotected. One cannot righteously refer to oneself as a contemplative. This was my second righteous refutation of those priests & contemplative who hold to such teachings, such views.

While Buddha never declared himself an atheist in his writings (to my knowledge), it has been written by many of his students and followers that when he was asked if a god exists, he would reply, "No".

Old 08-05-2008, 06:51 PM

6,712 posts, read 13,456,617 times
Quote:
Well, reincarnation in itself is not a problem.
Even if the truth is that all organic matter simply turns into dirt after death/decompositon - that is still a reincarnation.
I'm more concerned about "the soul" because I don't believe in them so I don't believe they reincarnate in the way that, say, the Tibetan Buddhists believe.
I'm along the same road. I think they call it a more Taoist point of view? From my understanding, Taoism is quite secular. In a lot of ways it seems very similar to Japanese Shintoism without the "nature Gods". There does seem to be a slight hint or smattering of what one might call a guiding force of nature but it's not really specified other than being called 'Tao' itself - from my understanding.

Then, of course, there is Zen Buddhism which has been brought up before.

For me, I wouldn't mind identifying with Buddhism or Taoism but I just can't bring myself to even meditate under the premise of a name. So, for example, I couldn't say "I'm a Buddhist, I'm going to meditate now" because I don't like doing anything of the sort. If I want to meditate, I want to do it for myself and not under the premise of something else. But, all attempts to meditate on my behalf have failed miserably. I think I'm too much of a control freak.

Old 08-05-2008, 07:01 PM

2,630 posts, read 4,939,060 times
I just call myself a fan of such ways of thinking. I grab what I like and combine it with my philosophies with impunity(AFAICT)

Old 08-05-2008, 07:21 PM

7,995 posts, read 12,271,295 times
Default b. frank's koan:

Quote:

So, Zen will accept me as I am?

-As opposed to how you are not?

koans...

Old 08-05-2008, 07:49 PM

244 posts, read 393,185 times
Quote:
Even if the truth is that all organic matter simply turns into dirt after death/decompositon - that is still a reincarnation.
No it isn't. (reincarnation - Definitions from Dictionary.com)
Not according to the dictionary and certainly not from a Buddhist perspective. If you're going to adopt a religion you can't go around redefining their core tenants willy nilly. Either you accept their beliefs or you don't.

Old 08-05-2008, 08:31 PM

2,957 posts, read 7,382,731 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GCSTroop View Post
I'm along the same road. I think they call it a more Taoist point of view? From my understanding, Taoism is quite secular. In a lot of ways it seems very similar to Japanese Shintoism without the "nature Gods". There does seem to be a slight hint or smattering of what one might call a guiding force of nature but it's not really specified other than being called 'Tao' itself - from my understanding.
It's interesting that you bring this up now. Taoism is my first love when it comes to non-theist religions. I first learned about it in high school and I read the Tao Te Ching for a class in college. At the time , I loved the idea because it was the first time that I saw a religion that talked about how to live this life - without basing its philosophy on some future afterlife. In college, I dog-eared the passages in the Tao Te Ching that I particularly liked. Well, I had not looked at the book for years and, just recently (like, within the last year) I picked it up and reread it. I realized that probably 70% of it is virtually meaningless unless you are dealing with the social problems of ancient China. I really liked "The Tao of Pooh", though.
Anyway, there are also Taoist monks who actually worship LaoTzu and others and there is a whole branch of deity-worshipping Taoists. So, this is another religion that can "go both ways" I guess, regarding theism.

Quote:
For me, I wouldn't mind identifying with Buddhism or Taoism but I just can't bring myself to even meditate under the premise of a name. So, for example, I couldn't say "I'm a Buddhist, I'm going to meditate now" because I don't like doing anything of the sort. If I want to meditate, I want to do it for myself and not under the premise of something else. But, all attempts to meditate on my behalf have failed miserably. I think I'm too much of a control freak.
I have meditated loosely before. I got into doing yoga mostly for the physical benefits of it, and found myself "meditating" a little bit during long, slow breathing exercises. I actually felt that it was really beneficial but I fell out of the habit. I think that I may try out some Zen Buddhist meditation and see if I like it. I actually like sitting still for long periods of time (guilty of being sloth-like) so Zen ideas kind of appeal to me. I can't see myself chanting or anything, though. By the way, I just realized that I used the word "I" about 50 times in this post, so I've got quite a way to go if I'm supposed to get rid of my ego.

Old 08-05-2008, 08:49 PM

2,957 posts, read 7,382,731 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cirbryn View Post
Not according to the dictionary and certainly not from a Buddhist perspective. If you're going to adopt a religion you can't go around redefining their core tenants willy nilly.
I don't intend to adopt or participate in any religion.
Is it true that I am not a Buddhist if I don't believe in reincarnation of souls? - because I don't.
If you know the core tenants of Buddhism, then please share.

I dont know who he is but this guy, Yew Han Hee, says here that Buddha did not teach reincarnation...

http://mail.saigon.com/~anson/ebud/ebdha001.htm (broken link)

Quote:
Either you accept their beliefs or you don't.
I'm not sure that I have to accept anyone's beliefs in order to be a Buddhist - that's what I'm trying to figure out.

Old 08-06-2008, 03:07 AM

7,995 posts, read 12,271,295 times
Quote:

If you know the core tenants of Buddhism, then please share.

I'm not sure that I have to accept anyone's beliefs in order to be a Buddhist -that's what I'm trying to figure out.

^

The Great Way is not difficult
for those who have no preferences.
When love and hate are both absent
everything becomes clear and undistinguished.
Make the smallest distinction, however,
and heaven and earth are set infinitely apart.
If you wish to see the truth
then hold no opinions for or against anything.
To set up what you like against what you dislike
is the disease of the mind.
When the deep meaning of things is not understood
the mind's essential peace is disturbed to no avail.

(A snippet from Zen poem Hsin hsin ming)

Old 08-06-2008, 09:03 AM

Location: In the North Idaho woods, still surrounded by terriers
2,179 posts, read 7,017,657 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cirbryn View Post
Not according to the dictionary and certainly not from a Buddhist perspective. If you're going to adopt a religion you can't go around redefining their core tenants willy nilly. Either you accept their beliefs or you don't.

No, you do not...that is the entire essence of Buddhism. From all I have read and learned, especially from the Dalai Lama himself, Buddhism is the ability of man to accept whatever beliefs brings him or her to the inner Buddha nature (simplified version)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism