Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-08-2008, 09:58 AM

5,160 posts, read 9,171,899 times

Advertisements

I thought it would be interesting to see what other atheists like to watch, read, listen to, follow, etc. I wanted to take a turn away from politics and religion for a moment, lol. So here are the questions. I'll give my answers (in bold) with them.

Movies: What is your favorite movie genre (Give more than one if you want.)? My favorites would be action and comedy. To have both in one movie is great. Stoner movies are great too. What is/are your favorite movie(s)? The Color Purple, The Terminator Trilogy, Good Will Hunting, Jackass (both), The Lion King (Watched it 100's of times when I was little.), Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon, Sin City, 300, and a few others that don't come to mind immediately. What have you seen recently? Nothing as I'm one of the last people to check out new movies unless I hear really good things about them by others. The last movie I saw in a theater was "This Christmas" last year. I hated it. What are you watching now? "Bad Santa". No matter how many times you watch that movie, you can always play it again and laugh it. I haven't met one person who hasn't laughed at that movie.

Comedy: Do you like stand-up comedy? Yes. What is your favorite genre? I like surreal comedy and wit/wordplay. Political satire and rants are nice too. Who are your favorite comedians? Richard Pryor, George Carlin, Chris Rock, Steven Wright, Mitch Hedberg (If you don't know who he was look him up on youtube. A talented guy for sure.), Jimmy Carr, Demetri Martin, Lewis Black, Dave Chappelle, Eddie Griffin, Dave Attell, Bernie Mac, Bill Hicks, Ron White, and Larry the Cable Guy. I like some of Dane Cook's older stuff. The rest is just subpar. Who's comedy are you watching/listening to currently? Mitch Hedberg's "Strategic Grill Locations" album and Demetri Martin's "These Are Jokes" album.

Music: What are your favorite genres of music? Jazz (Any kind is good.), Blues, Soul, Rock (Especially psychedelic rock, hard rock, acid rock, stoner rock, and blues rock. I like a lot of Industrial and some Heavy Metal.), Funk (Specifically the kind pioneered by Parliament and Funkadelic. The 80's Funk can't compete with that.), psychedelic music in general, and hip-hop (Real hip-hop, not the mindless tunes you hear on the radio.). Who are your favorite musicians/groups? The Doors, Jimi Hendrix, Parliament-Funkadelic, The Beatles, Radiohead, Pink Floyd, Nine Inch Nails, The Temptations, Rakim, Common, Papoose, Aesop Rock, MF DOOM, Canibus, Esham, Sage Francis, Lupe Fiasco, and some others that don't come to mind immediately. What is/are your favorite song(s). "People Are Strange", "Riders on The Storm", and "Waiting For the Sun". They are all by The Doors. I don't know what it is. Just seems like most of their songs I can listen to and connect to moments in my life. What are you listening to right now? "Nobodies" by Marilyn Manson.

Books: Favorite book genre(s)? Horror, mystery, and nonfiction. Poetry books are nice too. Who are your favorite authors? I have too many to list. What are your favorite books? Anything by Carl Sagan, Stephen Hawking, Richard Dawkins, Michio Kaku, Edgar Allen Poe, Shakespeare, Maya Angelou, or Steven King is good in my opinion. What are you reading right now? I'm not reading anything at the moment to be honest.

Last edited by Haaziq; 08-08-2008 at 10:49 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-08-2008, 10:34 AM

3,412 posts, read 10,170,652 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Haaziq View Post
I thought it would be interesting to see what other atheists like to watch, read, listen to, follow, etc. I wanted to take a turn away from politics and religion for a moment, lol. So here are the questions. I'll give my answers (in bold) with them.
Movies: What is your favorite movie genre (Give more than one if you want.)?
Comedy, Thrillers, Horror

What is/are your favorite movie(s)?
Tought choice. It depends who plays in it. My old time favorites:
Animal House
All of the Griswold Vacations

What have you seen recently?
Watched Vantage Point just yesterday, and day before i watched 21

What are you watching now? "
Right now i'm watching what i'm typing

Comedy: Do you like stand-up comedy?
Yes

What is your favorite genre?
Anything that makes me laugh.

Who are your favorite comedians?
Jerry Seinfeld along with just few others.

Who's comedy are you watching/listening to currently?
I like to watch Comedy Central and few sitcoms

Music: What are your favorite genres of music?
No country please!

Who are your favorite musicians/groups?
The Beatles, Pink Floyd, Airsmith, Journey, etc...

What is/are your favorite song(s).
Too many to list, i'll just sing along with whatever i like LOL

Books: Favorite book genre(s)?
Mystery, Detective Fiction, Horror, some juicy romance

Who are your favorite authors?
Stephen King, Clive Barker, V.C. Andrews, Agatha Christie, Arthur Conan Doyle, Edgar Allan Poe, Guy de Maupassant

What are your favorite books?
Anything by the authors above

What are you reading right now?
Nothing at this moment.

Old 08-08-2008, 10:36 AM

I would also like to add I'm a fan of Woody Allen and Groucho Marx. Marx's comedic skills were incredible.

Old 08-08-2008, 10:46 AM

4,348 posts, read 7,355,904 times
I agree it would be nice to take a break from the real issues.

Movies: What is your favorite movie genre (Give more than one if you want.)? My favorites would also be action and to some extent comedy. I also like History movies, but usually ruin it for others as I will point out where they changed history to make a political correct point in the movie. Last one I went to I don’t remember. We get them on the Sat system, and also have them mailed in on CD so it has to be a block buster to have us in a theater.

What is/are your favorite movie(s)? The Harry potter series, The John Grissom movies, Steven king movies, I liked the Borne identity movies and I think I will like the new Bat Man Movie, but will have to wait and see it before I get too carried away.

What have you seen recently? Nothing here too unless you count the one’s on TV.

What are you watching now? On the TV I like the history Channel, and the Science channel. They don’t have too many movies, but lots of information. My wife likes to watch foreign movies in French, and I do sit in there and listen, but in reality I am also on CD while they are on. The French movies just seem to have too much drama for me to want to watch.

Comedy: Do you like stand-up comedy? Yes.

What is your favorite genre? I like dry wit, political humor, and humor that is off color, but not obscene.

Who are your favorite comedians? George Carlin was my #1 and I just don’t know many others.

Whose comedy are you watching/listening to currently? None, been hooked on the history channel, or on CD in my free time this week.

Music: What are your favorite genres of music? Opera, Jazz, Blues, Soul, and what we call beach music.

Who are your favorite musicians/groups? I have no idea, I hear them and than let their music drifts away.

What is/are your favorite song(s)? Same as above. It is more background noise for me.

What are you listening to right now? The hum of the power running through this building and the whispers of people passing by outside, no music.

Books: Favorite book genre(s)? Horror, History, and nonfiction.

Who are your favorite authors? I also have too many.

What are your favorite books? Grissom, Steven king, Stephen Hawking, Richard Dawkins, is good in my opinion.

What are you reading right now? I’m mid way in several. I got a book of facts a few weeks ago and of the 1000 pages I think I am to about 400 now. I also got a book on our founding fathers which I have finished, but keep going back to after reading CD post on Thomas Jefferson. I have a book Called the “Portable Atheist†which I have started, but can’t remember who wrote it off the top of my head, and last but not least I have my magazine (American scientific) which I will read and try to absorb new issues being researched.

Old 08-08-2008, 11:31 AM

8,568 posts, read 16,232,534 times
Movies: What is your favorite movie genre (Give more than one if you want.)? My favourites would be SF (Starship Trooper) and raw realistic movies like The Woodsman & Glengarry Glen Ross (often plays adapted to movies). What is/are your favorite movie(s)? The Matrix, Fist of Fury, Always Outnumbered, Deep Cover. What have you seen recently? Street Kings and Felon. What are you watching now? I'l be seeing Forgetting Sarah Marshall tonight.

Comedy: Do you like stand-up comedy? Yes. What is your favorite genre? Political satire and (Dutch) Cabaret*. Who are your favorite comedians? Richard Pryor, Eddie Murphy, Dave Chappelle, Koot & de Bie, Theo Maassen, Hans Teeuwen , De Lama's. Who's comedy are you watching/listening to currently? None at the moment.

Music: What are your favorite genres of music? Rock Who are your favorite musicians/groups? Johnny Ca$h, Jimi Hendrix, Depeche Mode, Christina Aguilera, Body Count, The Prodigy, Lenny Kravitz What is/are your favorite song(s)? Condemnation by Depeche Mode, Save Me From Myself by Christiana Aguilera, Fear by Lenny Kravitz, Breathe by The prodigy, Horny Toad by Prince, Strippers by Body Count. What are you listening to right now? Truth or Death by Body Count.

Books: Favorite book genre(s)? Fantasy, mystery, and nonfiction. Who are your favorite authors? Alan Moore, Mark Millar, Brian Michael Bendis, Peter David, Ed Brubaker. What are your favorite books? The Story of B, Everything I know I learned from TV and Zen & The Art of Motorcycle Maintenance. What are you reading right now? Nothing.

Quote:
* Unlike Stand-up comedy this Dutch form usually has more of a storyline throughout the performance. Often it is a mixture of comedy with theater and like German-speaking cabaret it can be politically engaged. Famous are the new year's eve performances by Dutch cabaretiers, which are well watched on television.

Source: Cabaret - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 08-08-2008, 11:42 AM

2,630 posts, read 4,939,882 times
Movies: What is your favorite movie genre (Give more than one if you want.)?
smart psycological thrillers and action.

What is/are your favorite movie(s)?
I liked Akira quite a bit, I'm a fan of bleak future films

What have you seen recently?
Wall-e, Dark knight

What are you watching now? "
3rd rock from the sun

Comedy: Do you like stand-up comedy?
Absolutely, gonna go see Chris Rock on the Hammersmith Apollo with a few friends

What is your favorite genre?
I love dark humour, England is full of it.

Who are your favorite comedians?
Probably Tim Minchin though he is more of a musician.

Who's comedy are you watching/listening to currently?
I'm a man, i can't multitask

Music: What are your favorite genres of music?
Trash metal, nu metal and Classical

Who are your favorite musicians/groups?
System, Slipknot, Disturbed....ect ect.

What is/are your favorite song(s).
I've been listening to Dark side quite a bit.

Books: Favorite book genre(s)?
Non-fiction only please

Who are your favorite authors?
Too many

What are your favorite books?
Anything deeply philosophical

What are you reading right now?
Astronomy, the cosmic journey by Haartman publications

Old 08-08-2008, 01:49 PM

Location: In the North Idaho woods, still surrounded by terriers
2,179 posts, read 7,019,105 times
Okay...make room for a "senior's" comments:

Movie genres: I love movies of all kinds, but probably psychological thrillers (not slasher flicks) and comedies are my favorites.

Favorites movie(s): too many really...Tombstone, Close Encounters, Oh, God!, Bringing up Baby, just too many to list.

Recently: Saw Mama Mia (loved it) and Dark Knight (liked it)

What am I watching now? the TV is on and I am listening to "Monk", but not really "watching it".

Stand up comedy: Yes

Favorite genre: all sorts

Favorite comedians: Monty Python, George Carlin, Carlos Mencia, Bill Cosby

Current comedy?: Uh...see above

Music genre: Easy listening stuff, mainly...musicals, too. Loved surfer music back in the 60's, as well as folk music. But I am old

Musicians: I assume singers is included, and they would be: Josh Groban, John Denver, Nat King Cole, folk groups I grew up with such as the Kingston Trio, Peter, Paul & Mary, Limelighters, ABBA...also like Elton John.

Favorite songs: Wow, hard to choose. I love "All I Ask Of You" from Phantom of the Opera, which is probably my all-time favorite...otherwise, there are many, many, many songs I really like. They are mostly love songs and easy-listening.

Books& authors: love crime, mystery, thrillers. King, Koontz, Grissom, Patterson, Reichs, Evanovich...My favorite all-time book is "The Stand" by Stephen King, but I am a reading machine so I really can't list favorites, it would take pages.

At the moment I am reading "John Adams", which was highly heralded but I am finding it dull. May not make it through. Going back to a good mystery after that.

Old 08-09-2008, 07:44 AM

13,026 posts, read 24,626,809 times
Movies: What is your favorite movie genre :
Indie /Foreign movies , Any thing which is good otherwise/comedy/drama/documentary/thrillers etc...

What is/are your favourite movie(s)?:
"Cyrano de Bergerac", "The Shawshank Redemption" , "Ghandi", "Cry Freedom", "Citizen Kane", "La Grande Vadrouille", "Breakfast at Tiffany's", "Joeux Noel", "A very long engagement", "Fried Green Tomatoes", "The Rabbit Proof Fence", "Ferris Bueller's day off" etc...

What have you seen recently? :

The X-Files movie ( quite enjoyed it), "Summer Hours" ( loved it) , "Paris" ( loved it), "Mongol" ( loved it) , "Juno " ( loved it), "Hancock" ( complete and utter tripe of the worst kind)

Who are your favourite musicians/groups?:

Francis Cabrel ( French singer), Louis Armstrong, Ella Fitzgerald, Sting, Chris Rea, The Proclaimers, Robert Palmer, U2 ( up to "The Joshua" tree), Red Hot Chilli Peppers, Lloyd Cole and the Commotions, Capercaillie, Cherish the Ladies, La Bottine Souriante, Les Batinses, Jacques Brel, and too many others to mention. I also love Opera especially Bizet, Verdi and Wagner.

What is/are your favourite song(s).

Pretty much anything by Francis Cabrel / Capercaillie .

Books: Favourite book genre(s)?:

Historical/Archaeology/Anthropology, Short Stories/Fiction/Historical novels/Classics/Crime novels/Humour and Science ( the stuff easy enough for my little brains)

Who are your favourite authors?:

Guy de Maupassant, Arthur Miller, John Steinbeck, Alexandre Dumas, Emile Zola, Honore de Balzac, PG Wodehouse, Hemingway, George Orwell, Paul Theroux, Anton Chekhov, Pushkin, Fyodor Dostoevsky, Aleksey Tolstoy, Alexander Mc Call Smith, Ivan Turgenev, CJ Sansom, Michael Wood, Simon Schama and many, many others. I read ravenously and could never imagine life without books.

What are you reading right now?:

"The ascent of Man" by Bronowski and "AA Gill is away" by AA Gill, about to start " A spot of Bother" by Mark Haddon ( who worte the fantastic "The curious incident of the Dog in the night-time").

Last edited by Mooseketeer; 08-09-2008 at 09:20 AM..

Old 08-09-2008, 08:10 AM

6,712 posts, read 13,459,170 times
Favorite Movie Genre:

I feel that a quality movie can be made from any genre so I don't have a particular favorite. Is "quality" a genre? If I had to narrow it down a bit more I'd have to say I am a very big fan of Quentin Tarrantino thus far.

Favorite Movie(s):

Pulp Fiction (I've probably watched it a thousand times and still love it); Kingpin, The Ten Commandments , The Dirty Dozen, and the Indiana Jones movies (although I haven't seen the latest one - I'm a little scared to) as well as Back to the Future

Seen recently:

Not much... Come to think of it, I can't think of the last movie that I went to or rented... I need to work on that.

Favorite musicians:

Talk about eclectic taste...

Nine Inch Nails, Frank Sinatra, John Lennon, Rage Against the Machine, Andrea Bocelli (Con Te Pardido is one of the best opera style songs ever), and I can handle anything else in small to medium doses with the exception of rap/hip-hop and most, if not all, of the new stuff out there today.

Favorite Song:

I can't say I have an absolute favorite as with a change in mood comes a different feel. I do know that the song "Woman" by John Lennon has a lot of special meaning to me. I guess, in part that he wrote it for Yoko Ono, my wife is Japanese, and every single day my laptop seemed to pick it out of my list of 3,000+ songs to play at "random". So, it always made me think of her.

Books - Genre:

Name it except for the not so unique fiction novels that pervade bookstores as well as romance novels. But, other than that... Science, science fiction, history, classical literature (if I'm not commanded to adhere to interpreting it a certain way), Shakespeare - except for his comedies; Pretty much everything under the sun as long as its either factual or if it's fictional that it's
unique.

Favorite Authors:

As far as science writers go, Richard Dawkins is simply unbelievable. Brian Green is another fantastic writer who has turned me onto a world of physics that I have simply become enamored with. Steinbeck (mostly fiction) is fantastic too. And a friend has recently turned me onto Jose Saramago

Reading Now:

Working on three books but haven't had much of a chance lately:

The Elegant Universe, Death of a Black Hole, and Genes, Memes, and Human History.

Old 08-09-2008, 08:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GCSTroop View Post
I can handle anything else in small to medium doses with the exception of rap/hip-hop and most, if not all, of the new stuff out there today.

YouTube - Sage Francis - Escape Artist Video

YouTube - Common - The People

YouTube - Aesop Rock - None Shall Pass

YouTube - Lupe Fiasco - Daydreamin' (Featuring Jill Scott) (Video)

YouTube - Lupe Fiasco feat. Nikki Jean - Hip-Hop Saved My Life

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism