Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-19-2009, 06:34 PM

7,084 posts, read 14,862,875 times

Advertisements

I believe I am in the majority here. My beliefs are mine. Sometimes I will share them when asked, sometimes I do not. It is not my job to be the arbiter of the beliefs of anyone else, they may believe as they see fit. Or, they usually believe to the best of their understanding. If they don't preach at me, I will not harangue at them. Tain't my job to set anyones' thinking straight.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-20-2009, 01:13 PM

50,088 posts, read 20,717,984 times
Maybe this is why I am putting in so much time on this. I am disinclined to go out proselytizing (1) atheism, but here, it is discussing in detail and at length the things we want to say and anyone who wants to come and see how we reason and why we think we are worth hearing can come and hear - incuding theists. No point in preaching to the choir. Not so much as to send them away all Bumptious Bible-burners (2), but to counteract the extraordinarily poor press theism has dished out to to us the last 2,000 + years.

(1) did I spell it right this time?

(2) just gentle gospel -grilling will do

Old 11-20-2009, 01:17 PM

10,757 posts, read 35,437,415 times
I don't hide it, if someone asks then I tell them OR if someone has offended me with their bible beating then I tell them. If someone were to ask me to explain I would also do that.

I just don't WANT to try and talk someone into MY WAY of thinking.

I believe its true that you should never substitute your own judgment for someone else. Maybe people who are religious NEED the beliefs they have to get through life, I honestly believe like a person needs a crutch.

In the end, I really honestly don't care what people believe, the very last conversation I want to have with someone is someone trying to defend their belief system to me. Thats usually what it ends up being. SOME religious people are like a dog with a bone on this topic, I would rather not stir that need in them to convert me.

I find very few people who are willing to accept my atheism and leave it at that. Its like dangling a toy in front of a baby, they can't resist trying to bring another one into the fold.

Old 11-20-2009, 01:34 PM

4,348 posts, read 7,356,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lindsey_Mcfarren View Post
I don't hide it, if someone asks then I tell them OR if someone has offended me with their bible beating then I tell them. If someone were to ask me to explain I would also do that.

I just don't WANT to try and talk someone into MY WAY of thinking.

I believe its true that you should never substitute your own judgment for someone else. Maybe people who are religious NEED the beliefs they have to get through life, I honestly believe like a person needs a crutch.

In the end, I really honestly don't care what people believe, the very last conversation I want to have with someone is someone trying to defend their belief system to me. Thats usually what it ends up being. SOME religious people are like a dog with a bone on this topic, I would rather not stir that need in them to convert me.

I find very few people who are willing to accept my atheism and leave it at that. Its like dangling a toy in front of a baby, they can't resist trying to bring another one into the fold.
I have thought the same thing related to religion and crutches, but I wonder if the crutch is not part of the problem and allows the sheep to grow weak by not using their minds. What will happen when they wake up and see how the church has used them, and will they be able to function when they no longer have a god myth to hide behind? I wonder if this is why we are seeing so many church shootings.

Old 11-20-2009, 02:30 PM

10 posts, read 17,090 times
I straight up say no. Amen

Old 11-20-2009, 02:42 PM

2,331 posts, read 3,374,933 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by b. frank View Post
When atheists handle snakes -- if they get bitten does it mean that they actually believe in God?
If it does, among atheists that would be an original sin!

Old 11-21-2009, 11:25 AM

5,002 posts, read 12,360,632 times
I say, yes. The sooner we educate people and ensure they understand that nearly all religions today are based off of sun worship and/or quackery, then the better.

Old 11-22-2009, 11:25 AM

50,088 posts, read 20,717,984 times
Should We As Atheists Try To Persuade Others To Consider The Positive Influence Of Atheism?

Quote:
Originally Posted by RACHELLA View Post
I straight up say no. Amen
Then I'd take that as a very strong signal for us to say Yes.

Old 11-22-2009, 10:28 PM

63,809 posts, read 40,087,129 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by june 7th View Post
Rarely has June encountered a more concrete example of "reaction formation."
She finally understands where you're coming from, cncracer.
(Might wanna rethink those "survival rules?")
I fear your words are falling on deaf ears, June. I suspect cncracer doesn't even know what "reaction formation" is psychologically.

Old 11-22-2009, 10:32 PM

8,827 posts, read 7,328,824 times
I think if asked we should maybe answer people's questions but I don't believe in persuasion..it's what religious folks try to do, why lower yourself to that level? If someone has doubts and needs someones opinion, sharing your thoughts is fine but lets not go 'preach' about atheism being the only way...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism