U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-14-2008, 03:31 PM

1,353 posts, read 2,196,357 times
Question How many atheist/agnostic presidents has America had?

I can think of only two off the top of my head: Thomas Jefferson and Abraham Lincoln. Of course, they paid lip service to "God" in public speeches and-- like Einstein--used the word "God" to denote a higher fundamental power. But it is obvious they were agnostic.

Any others?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-14-2008, 03:39 PM

553 posts, read 91,013 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xavierob82 View Post
I can think of only two off the top of my head: Thomas Jefferson and Abraham Lincoln. Of course, they paid lip service to "God" in public speeches and-- like Einstein--used the word "God" to denote a higher fundamental power. But it is obvious they were agnostic.

Any others?
If you DON'T want to be elected, just publicly question whether god exists or not. Just the quesion alone is political death.

Old 09-14-2008, 06:37 PM

271 posts, read 386,144 times
  1. What has been Christianity’s fruits? Superstition, Bigotry and Persecution. - James Madison
Maybe james madison was?

Old 09-14-2008, 06:47 PM

4,175 posts, read 3,823,586 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yydanay515 View Post
If you DON'T want to be elected, just publicly question whether god exists or not. Just the quesion alone is political death.
I wonder if there are ANY democracies where this will not be true. After all, these godless (and therefore immoral) atheists have caused so much trouble all over the world.

Old 09-15-2008, 03:37 AM

15,622 posts, read 9,308,771 times
Quote:

Any others?
Jefferson was a Diest, not an atheist. If you read a good Lincoln bio you'll find he was very much a God fearing believer.

Last edited by Bideshi; 09-15-2008 at 03:47 AM..

Old 09-15-2008, 07:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bideshi View Post
Jefferson was a Diest, not an atheist. If you read a good Lincoln bio you'll find he was very much a God fearing believer.
Deism has absolutely nothing to do with Christianity. A deist is basically a 17th-19th century term for an agnostic.

And Lincoln was not religious at all, either.

Old 09-15-2008, 07:27 AM

7,767 posts, read 9,129,560 times
Quote:
And Lincoln was not religious at all, either.
Seriously?

You must be kidding us.

Even a rudimentary look into Lincoln will tell you he believed in God and divine providence.

(Have you even read the Gettysburg address? It's pretty short and might help you keep from seeming so un-studied.)

Old 09-15-2008, 08:02 AM

Lincoln's faith was under intense scrutiny for his whole political career, even his wife acknowledged that he was not particularly religious.

As far as the Gettysburg Address is concerned, it was not a religious speech.

Old 09-15-2008, 08:18 AM

7,767 posts, read 9,129,560 times
Quote:
Lincoln's faith was under intense scrutiny for his whole political career, even his wife acknowledged that he was not particularly religious.

As far as the Gettysburg Address is concerned, it was not a religious speech.
'Intense scrutiny' and 'Lincoln was not religious at all' are two totally different comments. You're using the old 'bait and switch' game. Few, if any, well-studied and versed historians would agree with the latter, although you might find several that would agree with the former.

Try browsing this Collected Works of Abraham Lincoln and see what you come up with.

There's a particularly interesting tome there I'd ask you to read ( I believe you can read it in it's entirety online) called Spiritual pilgrimage of Abraham Lincoln, by Elton Trueblood. If you really are interested in what the question you pose in the OP, then research the validity of it yourself.

Old 09-15-2008, 08:40 AM

352 posts, read 315,992 times
Quote:

Any others?
Actually, they weren't agnostic; I've read several documents that they have written and neither one denies the existence of God. These two men are called Deists; they believe that God does exist, but they believe that He worked through natural laws and the mechanics of our universe. God has merely taken a back seat and let us live our lives. In fact, most of the early Presidents were deists.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism