Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-19-2008, 04:09 PM

3,032 posts, read 8,900,099 times

Advertisements

If Jesus existed, he was just a human man. He was obviously a philosopher of sorts, and probably an all-around decent kind of guy. He had some good things to say, and was charismatic enough that he had groupies.

If he existed, he wasn't the son of a god, his mother didn't conceive him supernaturally, and he didn't rise from the dead. There are also several miracles ascribed to him that he couldn't possibly have done. So perhaps he was a really good illusionist on top of it all. At the very least, he was certainly a performer.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-19-2008, 08:36 PM

7,084 posts, read 14,805,707 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dusty Rhodes View Post
Interesting..... Somehow, Jesus is mentioned in the Roman records.
OOPS, my bad, my brain, or what is left of it, was moving faster than my fingers, it should read, "Somehow, Jesus is not mentioned in the Roman records." Pontius Pilate was real enough and the records of his court proceedings are fairly complete. Barabas (sp?) was a thief, and executed, in spite of the popular legend.

Old 10-19-2008, 10:47 PM

520 posts, read 893,261 times
I agree with toop, it is very difficult to find any real hard evidence to the existance of Jesus. But my view on this charachters life are as such: If there was a man named Jesus i think that he would have been a kind and compashonate man. He may have placesd his ideas and moras in his divine father, but so what if it made him a better man and kinder to the people. as far as Jesus being devine, resurceted, turning water to wine, i see it all as an elabort bed time story.

The images of a lone man wondering through out a country, having an impact on so many people, attempting to make the world a better place the best way he knew how, is an admirable life story.

i just wish that other people could do such on there own with out needing some story character to guide there wayl.

Old 10-20-2008, 01:23 PM

3,331 posts, read 5,937,413 times
I believe he was a real person who was one of many 'messiahs" among the Jews of the day. I obviously, do not believe he is a god-man, nor did any of his miracles really occur. There is some sketchy evidence that he was crucified by the Romans, but I certainly don't believe he rose from the dead. The reason for the ascendancy of the Christian Church was due to politics via the power for the Roman Empire, not due to any religious aspects. If Rome had not been behind it, the Christian sect would have disappeared like so many other movements.

Old 10-26-2008, 05:19 PM

272 posts, read 483,206 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tic_constant View Post
So in response to one of the threads about things being so quiet, I figured I'd ask what you all think of the historical Jesus. What are the common A&A thoughts on the life and death and resurrection of Jesus of Nazareth?
To me it's not important if Jesus did or did not exist. The importance is that people believed he did. The christian concept of life and death and the resurrection was borrowed from older and contemporary mythologies (amongst other things). That's how I view it.

Old 10-26-2008, 06:29 PM

Location: In the North Idaho woods, still surrounded by terriers
2,179 posts, read 6,997,981 times
Like most of the rest have written, I believe JC existed, but I do not believe he was the literal son of God, nor that he was born of a virgin nor that he worked miracles or rose from the dead. JC was a very charismatic man who lived in a time of great turmoil and confusion. His "world" was such a small part of the globe we now know to be our earth, however, and his ideas and beliefs were only in relationship to what he knew. Without knowledge or understanding of natural science, medicine, etc, the people of JC's time lived in constant fear, and this man, who taught love and salvation (from whatever terrorized the people) was a person many would grasp on to for a feeling of safety.

I believe the man Jesus was obsessed with whatever "mission" he felt compelled follow. He didn't have to die on the cross, he had plenty of chances to get out of town...but he literally forced the issue. His determination to be a martyr for his beliefs was all-encompassing. Today he would probably be diagnosed as borderline schizophrenic and his followers would be said to have joined a "cult". They fit the profile perfectly...giving up everything, including their own being, to follow a man who promised perfection and Nirvana...so to speak...but only if they gave up their lives and ways and took on his cause.

Old 10-27-2008, 05:03 PM

4,049 posts, read 5,017,397 times
The whole concept of Jesus doesn't make sense to me. First of all, he is God (same being), and yet God sent him down to earth to die for our sins (separate beings). So, he sent himself down to be crucified? And why does God need to do such a horrible thing, if he is all powerful, loving and forgiving. Why can't he just wave his hand and say "I forgive all people for their sins, since I am responsible for giving them free will anyway."

Next, even though there is a lot of secular evidence of many people of Jesus' day, we have no contemporaneous writings at all of Jesus. All of the NT was written decades after his supposed story happened. There is no record of events such as the infanticide at Jesus' birth, or the big disturbance he made at the temple on passover eve. These things seem so big that there had to be someone who wrote about them at around the same time they happened. But we have no evidence like this.

Also, practically every 'fantastical' thing about Jesus was common mythology that predates Jesus by far. Things like the virgin birth, the death and resurrection, the faith healing, etc. I mean, Hercules had a pretty similar origin, God impregnating a mortal woman. He also traveled the earth, performing amazing feats to help people. Hercules also died, ascended to Mt. Olympus and became a god. Ancient Greeks believed in Hercules in a similar way Christians believe in Jesus today. Hail Hercules, our savior!

BTW, Josephus and Tacitus both reference Hercules, even more than Jesus. But they were not contemporaneous of Jesus anyway, so they prove nothing regardless.

Old 10-27-2008, 08:09 PM

7,084 posts, read 14,805,707 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by calmdude View Post
unless you are willing to let "faith" guide you.
Actually I am, I have great faith that god is a myth.

Old 10-29-2008, 10:16 AM

1,577 posts, read 3,691,085 times
I see no harm in thinking he existed as a person. Thats fine. Not as far as all the magical things he did, without proof and evidence, its hard to swallow. It would be more likely in today's day and age, but if anyone claims to be a healer and son a God today, we (including Christians) call him a kook. Its all very hypocritical. You don't beleive in Wizards and Witches and magicians today, but if it happened 2000 yrs ago in some old book it happened? HUH?

Old 11-20-2008, 11:35 AM

4,049 posts, read 5,017,397 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tic_constant View Post
So in response to one of the threads about things being so quiet, I figured I'd ask what you all think of the historical Jesus. What are the common A&A thoughts on the life and death and resurrection of Jesus of Nazareth?
the short answer is, its a story, nothing more.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism