U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-31-2008, 02:06 AM

25,740 posts, read 25,381,708 times

Advertisements

Aliens? Bigfoot? The Jersey Devil? (Okay, NOW I'm going too far.)

I have a really silly question. Please go easy on me. I really am curious. I believe in God but am not Christian. Anyway, I was wondering what atheists, specifically, think about ghosts/spirits and accounts of them, and ESP-type experiences. Obviously to some people this would indicate that there must be some sort of afterlife.

What do you think? Do you think it's all made up? Imagined? Coincidence? Do you think there actually can be something like ESP but that it would have nothing to do with the existence of a god or gods? Etc.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-31-2008, 02:42 AM

9,912 posts, read 12,472,984 times
Aliens

I'm not convinced one way or the other regarding the existence or non-existence of alien life forms. The bit about them popping in here willy nilly I have a problem with because it seems really unlikely and not particularly scientifically possible but then perhaps that opinion is just based on our science as we know it and doesn't take into consideration that intelligent life forms could be way more advanced than us? Then if we consider they could be much more advanced than us one would have to wonder why they'd just pop in and out and not have made themselves known by now.
Upshot, I doubt it and if there are I seriously doubt they'll be anything like that of the Hollywood respresentations we've seen so far. But they did find water on Mars so that would indicate that there is the potential for life so I'm looking forward to seeing what they find next.

Bigfoot

Most likely a hoax but what a delightful hoax it is. If he does exist I'd be very happy to know more about him.

The Jersey Devil

I have no idea what this is, sorry.

ghosts/spirits

I recently read an article about a woman who saw a "ghost" whilst being subjected to an MRI. I really think with the advances in the neurosciences we'll find out a great deal more about the science of "ghosts and spirits".

The afterlife

I don't believe in the afterlife. We're here for a one time deal in my opinion.
I personally believe that cellular memory could explain some of the de ja vu type experiences that people have, that sense of having been here before, and I just recently saw a fascinating public lecture about a neurologist who had a stroke and was able to internally retain enough lucidity to mentally document her experience as best she could while it was happening and has written quite a bit about her experience during her recovery. It was fascinating.

ESP

I think there are senses and cues and interactions that go on between human beings and in their surrounds that perhaps we don't as yet understand. I think that people do experience "esp" or some kind of unspoken "sense" about things but I'm not keen on the hocus pocus explanations we've had regarding it so far. I'm waiting on the scientists again.

Old 10-31-2008, 05:46 AM

1,577 posts, read 3,337,194 times
Aliens: Yes, I can't see how we'd be the only lifeforms in a universe so vast and endless (that we know of). It doesn't make sense.

Bigfoot: Was an admitted hoax when its creator died

Loch Ness: mmm, possibly. Or a tourist trap. Even if they live in underwater caves, any lack of any decay, skin, bones, dung, remains, kinda makes me question it.

Yeti/Jersey Devil/Chubakabra: No idea. Again a lack of biological evidence makes one doubt it.

ghosts/spirits: I dunno, honestly. I can't see how its possible but there's been too many stories throughout time by people that have no link to each other for it to be ignored imho. There's something left behind, for sure. What it is, I dunno.

Afterlife: No reason to beleive in it. We're biological lifeforms like any ohter on Earth. We live, we die. The creation of an afterlife imho was to ease out fear of death and the depressing thought that life just ends and we decompose in the earth. Its to give us some hope that there's something to look forward to, regardless of the complete illogic of it and the lack of evidence. In some ways I wish I was that blind, maybe I'd be a happier person thinking that too. BUt I can't make myself beleive in it.

When people start talking about God and Heaven exisitng on another dimensional level, I wondder if they are really hearing themselves. Its sounds like something out of Star Trek.

ESP: I do beleive in it a little, a sixth sense. There've been times someone will have a good idea of whats gonna happen and they are darn close. People like Nostradomas make me beleive it too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by moonshadow View Post
Aliens

I'm not convinced one way or the other regarding the existence or non-existence of alien life forms. The bit about them popping in here willy nilly I have a problem with because it seems really unlikely and not particularly scientifically possible but then perhaps that opinion is just based on our science as we know it and doesn't take into consideration that intelligent life forms could be way more advanced than us? Then if we consider they could be much more advanced than us one would have to wonder why they'd just pop in and out and not have made themselves known by now.
Upshot, I doubt it and if there are I seriously doubt they'll be anything like that of the Hollywood respresentations we've seen so far. But they did find water on Mars so that would indicate that there is the potential for life so I'm looking forward to seeing what they find next.

Bigfoot

Most likely a hoax but what a delightful hoax it is. If he does exist I'd be very happy to know more about him.

The Jersey Devil

I have no idea what this is, sorry.

ghosts/spirits

I recently read an article about a woman who saw a "ghost" whilst being subjected to an MRI. I really think with the advances in the neurosciences we'll find out a great deal more about the science of "ghosts and spirits".

The afterlife

I don't believe in the afterlife. We're here for a one time deal in my opinion.
I personally believe that cellular memory could explain some of the de ja vu type experiences that people have, that sense of having been here before, and I just recently saw a fascinating public lecture about a neurologist who had a stroke and was able to internally retain enough lucidity to mentally document her experience as best she could while it was happening and has written quite a bit about her experience during her recovery. It was fascinating.

ESP

I think there are senses and cues and interactions that go on between human beings and in their surrounds that perhaps we don't as yet understand. I think that people do experience "esp" or some kind of unspoken "sense" about things but I'm not keen on the hocus pocus explanations we've had regarding it so far. I'm waiting on the scientists again.

Old 10-31-2008, 06:17 AM

9,912 posts, read 12,472,984 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackyfrost01 View Post
Aliens: Yes, I can't see how we'd be the only lifeforms in a universe so vast and endless (that we know of). It doesn't make sense.

Bigfoot: Was an admitted hoax when its creator died

Loch Ness: mmm, possibly. Or a tourist trap. Even if they live in underwater caves, any lack of any decay, skin, bones, dung, remains, kinda makes me question it.

Yeti/Jersey Devil/Chubakabra: No idea. Again a lack of biological evidence makes one doubt it.

ghosts/spirits: I dunno, honestly. I can't see how its possible but there's been too many stories throughout time by people that have no link to each other for it to be ignored imho. There's something left behind, for sure. What it is, I dunno.

Afterlife: No reason to beleive in it. We're biological lifeforms like any ohter on Earth. We live, we die. The creation of an afterlife imho was to ease out fear of death and the depressing thought that life just ends and we decompose in the earth. Its to give us some hope that there's something to look forward to, regardless of the complete illogic of it and the lack of evidence. In some ways I wish I was that blind, maybe I'd be a happier person thinking that too. BUt I can't make myself beleive in it.

When people start talking about God and Heaven exisitng on another dimensional level, I wondder if they are really hearing themselves. Its sounds like something out of Star Trek.

ESP: I do beleive in it a little, a sixth sense. There've been times someone will have a good idea of whats gonna happen and they are darn close. People like Nostradomas make me beleive it too.
I probably should have said that I don't disbelieve that people think that something happened to them or they saw something or they sensed something. I guess I just don't believe the explanations offered so far. Personally I think that most of these things will be scientifically explained and I think a lot of it will be explained with neuroscience.

Old 10-31-2008, 06:27 AM

3,124 posts, read 4,241,057 times
I disbelieve a lot of it. However, I have very strong ESP. Do I think it's Supernatural? NO. I think it's a hieghtened sense of subtle clues that probably manifests itself as some sort of survival technique in some people.

You should see me do a "reading" sometime. I really freak people out! I do, however, explain to them that nothing supernatural is going on; I'm simply a "mentalist".

Old 10-31-2008, 06:34 AM

1,577 posts, read 3,337,194 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Angel and The Dolphin View Post
I disbelieve a lot of it. However, I have very strong ESP. Do I think it's Supernatural? NO. I think it's a hieghtened sense of subtle clues that probably manifests itself as some sort of survival technique in some people.

You should see me do a "reading" sometime. I really freak people out! I do, however, explain to them that nothing supernatural is going on; I'm simply a "mentalist".
Why wouldn't aliens exist? The universe is big beyond comprehension. They probly don't believe we exist either, but here are lol

Seriously, if we are the only ones, we seriously got jipped on real estate. Why not a planet the size of the solar system or even the galaxy if we have the cosmos to ourselves.

Old 10-31-2008, 07:55 AM

3,031 posts, read 8,045,430 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerZ View Post
Aliens? Bigfoot? The Jersey Devil? (Okay, NOW I'm going too far.)

I have a really silly question. Please go easy on me. I really am curious. I believe in God but am not Christian. Anyway, I was wondering what atheists, specifically, think about ghosts/spirits and accounts of them, and ESP-type experiences. Obviously to some people this would indicate that there must be some sort of afterlife.

What do you think? Do you think it's all made up? Imagined? Coincidence? Do you think there actually can be something like ESP but that it would have nothing to do with the existence of a god or gods? Etc.
I do not believe in anything supernatural. If someone can show me solid scientific proof that something exists, then it's by default NOT supernatural. I think all those things you mention either have a very good explanation that just hasn't been discovered yet, or they're figments of overactive imaginations, or hoaxes.

As far as aliens go, homo sapiens would have to be pretty damned pompous to assume we're the only ones out here. Does that mean I think we've been visited? Who knows? I've yet to see evidence, but I wouldn't say it's impossible either.

Old 10-31-2008, 08:14 AM

3,412 posts, read 9,216,039 times
For every account of seeing one of the above, no one provided any real evidence of any of those things exist.
I would love to see a Bigfoot or Lochness monster, or the Jersey devil, whatever that is. But as long as there are no evidence, there is no proof. People become skeptical and stop believing after hearing numerous "encounters" of such things but failed to provide anything but the hearsay.

Aliens, that i'm very interested in, while i have doubts about aliens being "green" and all, i have a slight believe that may be, in this vast universe, there is a possibility of another living thing, more likely bacteria, microbes of some type, or may be even bigger. What always intrigued me, is when you look at biblical paintings, there are almost always an UFO or UFO looking things in the skies. The gods themselves look like aliens, in some of the painting, with big eyes, with the halos about their heads and light around them, i find it very interesting. Did aliens made it down to earth and people actually vitnessed them come out from their space ships and talked to them? Is there where idea of God come from?
Will never know, but would like to find out.....

Old 10-31-2008, 08:22 AM

25,740 posts, read 25,381,708 times
Thanks, everybody!

Old 10-31-2008, 09:02 AM

3,334 posts, read 5,261,128 times
I hold the possibility of those things, but until I see some real evidence of them, I remain skeptical.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism