Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-07-2008, 02:16 PM

16,806 posts, read 39,934,099 times

Advertisements

I wish them right back. The only time I wish Happy Holidays is if the person I'm saying it to is an annoying proselytizer who is of the "They're trying to take Christ out of Christmas" mindset. "Happy holidays" is especially annoying to these people.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-07-2008, 03:11 PM

6,712 posts, read 13,456,617 times
Yeah, I'll usually return the favor as well. If I'm in a particularly cheery mood I may even initiate a "Merry Christmas" or two. Although, I still firmly believe that "Merry Christmas" should not be hung on the walls of government buildings or places of business.

Old 11-07-2008, 04:52 PM

8,046 posts, read 28,469,020 times
I say Happy Holidays to everyone. I worked in retail for a long time, and got a few strange looks and one person questioned me on it. I just reply that not everyone celebrates Christmas.

I've been really put off by the people who get offended over Happy Holidays, that we are trying to take Christmas away from them. I don't get that. By saying Happy Holidays, I thought I was being all-inclusive. Its still the holiday season, even for atheists, even though we don't actually celebrate a particular holiday, we still get days off work, and that is worth celebrating all in itself

Old 11-07-2008, 05:47 PM

109 posts, read 242,949 times
Well, I say Merry Christmas, but not for any religious aspect. I am an athiest, but as I have grown up my whole life saying Merry Christmas, I am not likely to stop saying it any time soon.

Old 11-08-2008, 09:56 AM

3,517 posts, read 13,258,363 times
I say it and don't worry about it. It's like saying how are you to a stranger. You don't really want to know, it's just a pleasant greeting.

I too like the Christmas season. The dark of the year festivities are fun. Besides all the fun aspects of the season are pagan in origin. If you stick religiously to only the strictly Christian aspects, it is a dull and dreary time, indeed. Like all of the strictly Christian things.

Old 11-08-2008, 04:31 PM

1,114 posts, read 2,116,267 times
Well just for a joke I was going to suggest that we should have something like Darwin Days.
Then I thought I’d better google it. Sure enough, Darwin Day Celebration
On February 12th I’m going to expect all my religious and nonreligious friends to say “Happy Darwin Day”
Luckily I’ve collected lots of fossils I can wrap up for gifts.

Last edited by Aeroman; 11-08-2008 at 04:42 PM..

Old 11-08-2008, 09:19 PM

134 posts, read 145,182 times
Really, it's just plain stupid to make a big deal out of saying Merry Christmas. I say it, and Happy Holidays, as well as Happy Hanakuh, and Happy New Years! I mean really people, who cares? They are just words, and if you're not religious then don't have the intention behind them. It's not like you're saying "Happy Birthday to Christ, our lord and savior!" because then I could understand the fuss. I am also an atheist, but what a pointless, time-wasting phrase to get all worked up over.

Old 11-08-2008, 09:57 PM

414 posts, read 776,832 times
Thumbs up Guten Morgen, Herr Staatsanwalt?

Quote:
Originally Posted by katzenfreund View Post
You could always answer "Happy Holidays"...
Will you kindly make an exception?

Frohe Weihnachten and Joy to the World!

Old 11-09-2008, 10:59 AM

8,998 posts, read 14,783,813 times
I normally respond with a "You too" but it still pisses me off.
I "celebrate" Christmas with my family but once I am out on my own, there will be no gift exchanging or any of that.
I'll reserve the big gifts for birthdays.

Old 11-09-2008, 07:09 PM

1,385 posts, read 3,005,984 times
We celebrate the holidays, for us it's not about any religious undertaking as it is about being with the people you love most.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism