Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-18-2008, 02:39 PM

2,008 posts, read 3,326,760 times

Advertisements

I have been meeting up with some Atheist friends and we have been trying to get proactive - to the extent of, as my friend says, "puching back". We all pretty much agree that organizing would pretty much turn this into another religion.

We really have no intent to take over the world or anything, but what are some suggestions on how to get our "message" out there without getting too organized?

I have concluded that we could just ditch the term atheist and stick to the ideals that we all adhere to (such as just being an all round good guy without threat or other worldly reward).

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-18-2008, 02:49 PM

6,712 posts, read 13,459,170 times
I don't really like the thought of organizing and more or less turning my non-belief into a religion. Although I discuss it a lot on this forum, it's not really something that pervades my thoughts every waking day. With that being said, if there was one thing that I do wish people in this country better understood is that I am not some sort of monster or eater of babies because I don't believe in God.

My only thoughts on it are that if the environment you live in is 'secular' enough to where people don't ask you what your religious beliefs are and it is treated as something personal and private than there is no reason to proselytize. However, if you live in a place or find yourself in an environment that this question often does come up in conversation, such as where I live, my best suggestion is to just be honest about it and although they may not agree with you, they may realize that you're not a bad person, just a person that doesn't believe in deities.

Old 11-18-2008, 03:10 PM

Yeah, I live in a very red and very religious area... It's kind of like bible belt lite. for the most part we are trying to do what you said, get the idea out there that we aren't baby eating sinners hell bent on taking over the world and imprisoning everyone and anyone that utters the word god. I can't speak for the whole group but I do want to stress that we can be and are very moral people without any crutch.

Old 11-18-2008, 03:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cleatis View Post
Yeah, I live in a very red and very religious area... It's kind of like bible belt lite. for the most part we are trying to do what you said, get the idea out there that we aren't baby eating sinners hell bent on taking over the world and imprisoning everyone and anyone that utters the word god. I can't speak for the whole group but I do want to stress that we can be and are very moral people without any crutch.
Well, in that case, I would just read and examine different philosophies about the existence/non-existence of God so that if it comes up in conversation you have a valid response for each of the hundreds of questions posed by your fellow believing conversationalist. They always ask a ton of questions.

Old 11-18-2008, 03:18 PM

7,943 posts, read 17,252,682 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cleatis View Post
I have been meeting up with some Atheist friends and we have been trying to get proactive - to the extent of, as my friend says, "puching back". We all pretty much agree that organizing would pretty much turn this into another religion.

We really have no intent to take over the world or anything, but what are some suggestions on how to get our "message" out there without getting too organized?

I have concluded that we could just ditch the term atheist and stick to the ideals that we all adhere to (such as just being an all round good guy without threat or other worldly reward).

Thanks
Your message IS being radically pushed "out there" - by colleges and universities. Its successful indoctrination too as nearly 75% of Christian students who attend public school and go on to secular college become atheist by the time they graduate college.

Plus, you are the ones always complaining about the perception that Christians are trying to push their faith on you. Maybe Christians don't want to get atheism pushed on them?

Old 11-18-2008, 03:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bchris02 View Post
Your message IS being radically pushed "out there" - by colleges and universities.
I love this attack. It makes it sound like colleges and universities are forcing people to not believe in God due to the fact that they are educating people. The irony of this actually cracks me up. It's like saying "If you don't believe in God you're smart and well-educated but if you do than you're an ignorant fool who has no education." It sounds like one of the most self-defeating arguments I have ever heard.

Old 11-18-2008, 03:31 PM

2,957 posts, read 7,384,174 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GCSTroop View Post
I love this attack. It makes it sound like colleges and universities are forcing people to not believe in God due to the fact that they are educating people. The irony of this actually cracks me up.
Yeah - seriously. Universities teach people how to think - what students do with their brains is up to them.
One of my professors of History was a Christian who is far more intelligent than I will ever be. Guess what: I learned European History from him and I still don't believe in his religion at all.

Old 11-18-2008, 03:32 PM

7,943 posts, read 17,252,682 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GCSTroop View Post
I love this attack. It makes it sound like colleges and universities are forcing people to not believe in God due to the fact that they are educating people. The irony of this actually cracks me up. It's like saying "If you don't believe in God you're smart and well-educated but if you do than you're an ignorant fool who has no education." It sounds like one of the most self-defeating arguments I have ever heard.
Well churches aren't forcing people to believe in God, but that doesn't mean they don't promote that viewpoint. Same with colleges and universities today.

If professors would stick to philosophy and stick to science instead of focusing on an agenda, this wouldn't be a problem.

Old 11-18-2008, 03:36 PM

Quote:
Your message IS being radically pushed "out there" - by colleges and universities. Its successful indoctrination too as nearly 75% of Christian students who attend public school and go on to secular college become atheist by the time they graduate college.

Plus, you are the ones always complaining about the perception that Christians are trying to push their faith on you. Maybe Christians don't want to get atheism pushed on them?
Look, I have my arguments, you have yours. Neither of us is going to change the other minds. I am here trying to ask a CIVIL question. If this is something that is snared that far into your craw, please send me a message or start a thread about it.

better yet, I just started on ein the religion forum...

Last edited by cleatis; 11-18-2008 at 03:49 PM..

Old 11-18-2008, 03:41 PM

Quote:
Well churches aren't forcing people to believe in God, but that doesn't mean they don't promote that viewpoint. Same with colleges and universities today.

If professors would stick to philosophy and stick to science instead of focusing on an agenda, this wouldn't be a problem.
Yeah, but the whole agenda of the church is to reinforce the principles and notions of believing in God. The main priority of a college or university is not to convince people that there is no God. Furthermore, the answer to a God's existence is a question posed by philosophers and scientists for thousands of years so it would be hardly fair to leave this out of a philosophy class.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism