Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-27-2008, 11:32 AM

5,493 posts, read 7,333,090 times

Advertisements

If and when I can ever obey Christ's command to love my wife as He loved His Church, then maybe I'll be able to speak to the wife's role.

Did'nt Christ wash his disciples feet? (A true lesson in servant-hood and submission.)

Christian husbands that throw around the command of submission,
IMHO just don't get it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-27-2008, 03:41 PM

7,915 posts, read 18,618,410 times
Oakback wrote:
Quote:
Christian husbands that throw around the command of submission,
IMHO just don't get it.
I completely agree. I also doubt that Jesus would have prevented women from becoming preists. I think that many men just like the idea of being the boss and this is a convenient method for basing it on something that appears to be authoritative to certain religious people.

Old 11-28-2008, 07:50 AM

21,026 posts, read 22,142,009 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MontanaGuy View Post
Oakback wrote:

I completely agree. I also doubt that Jesus would have prevented women from becoming preists. I think that many men just like the idea of being the boss and this is a convenient method for basing it on something that appears to be authoritative to certain religious people.
Bolding mine.

Great point...and true!

Old 11-30-2008, 11:00 AM

8,568 posts, read 16,227,664 times
Originally Posted by sanspeur
Quote:
No need to give up individuality in a partnership of any kind
I only give up the illusion of individuality; in a relationship 'the other' at least becomes as important as yourself (read: your ego).
In this state of mind 'violating' the other is the same as abusing yourself.
So submitting to 'the other' is the same as submitting to yourself and vice versa.

Old 11-30-2008, 01:32 PM

5,004 posts, read 15,346,950 times
I used to be a submissive wife in my first marriage, and I was submissive to the Jehovah's Witesses when I joined them, but then I got wise. I am not in my first marriage nor am I a Jehovah's Witness anymore. I joined a few religions after that where they wanted you to be submissive to the guru, but instead I stood up for myself, was shunned by the guru, and left. I don't put up with anything anymore, and I don't submit to anyone. I don't believe I am an atheist, but I certainly can relate to what they have to say much easier than any religion. Submitting to anyone means to me that they want to control me. I am my own person. I don't even believe in equal subservient. I have remarried, and neither of us try to control the other.

Old 11-30-2008, 06:21 PM

414 posts, read 776,724 times
Default can't help giggling ---

Quote:
Originally Posted by arod0331 View Post
I hate the word submission.
Does this mean that the husband can rape his wife if he's inclined?

... sub-missionaries, perhaps in a yellow submarine

I stay clear of anyone not hating the word.

Old 11-30-2008, 11:38 PM

8,568 posts, read 16,227,664 times
Originally Posted by lwowl
Quote:
I stay clear of anyone not hating the word.
The problem with submission and Christianity is that most Christians have problem with acknowledging that Jesus as a leader was totally submissive to his followers.
Most Westerners have trouble with seeing that Jesus was not a leader in the traditional sense. That the followers of Jesus followed him out of their own free will and not because God or some other deity told them to.
Jesus doesn't care if you follow him or don't follow him, so in that sense he wasn't a traditional (read: Western) leader. Neither did Jesus' ego grow because 100's of people adored him. At 1 point in time he even despised the fact that he had to play the role of leader (read: martyr) and yet he continued to do so, simply because he believed it was necessary for his followers.
You do things for a greater good and not because you only individually profit from your deed.

Old 12-01-2008, 10:33 AM

414 posts, read 776,724 times
Smile .... which takes us to ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tricky D View Post
Originally Posted by lwowl The problem with submission and Christianity is that most Christians have problem with acknowledging that Jesus as a leader was totally submissive to his followers.
Most Westerners have trouble with seeing that Jesus was not a leader in the traditional sense. That the followers of Jesus followed him out of their own free will and not because God or some other deity told them to.
Jesus doesn't care if you follow him or don't follow him, so in that sense he wasn't a traditional (read: Western) leader. Neither did Jesus' ego grow because 100's of people adored him. At 1 point in time he even despised the fact that he had to play the role of leader (read: martyr) and yet he continued to do so, simply because he believed it was necessary for his followers.
You do things for a greater good and not because you only individually profit from your deed.

... the global question of us following what kind of leadership.
Any more -isms, or the quite refined royalty currently representing some European countries (apart from the hedonistic lifstyles they apparently cannot hide from the yellow press)?

The last time I saw a similarity to Jesus as you portray him was a few months ago on TV: the leader of a Mongolian tribe (he's also a fine writer!) saying:
"I belong to my people." 'Belonging' in the language he writes has to do with HEARING.

Old 12-01-2008, 10:44 AM

13,640 posts, read 24,500,581 times
IMO, and without using any belief system here, you simply cannot take customs, and politics that were popular in the Arab Countries 2000 years ago and expect us to be able to follow them today.

Old 12-01-2008, 12:55 PM

6,712 posts, read 13,455,221 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blue62 View Post
IMO, and without using any belief system here, you simply cannot take customs, and politics that were popular in the Arab Countries 2000 years ago and expect us to be able to follow them today.
Heck, we can't even take customs and politics from fifty years ago and apply them to today. The world changes that rapidly.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism