Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-26-2012, 10:34 AM

4,975 posts, read 11,657,319 times

Advertisements

I like it!

Celebrating Love and Light: 10 Holiday Tips for the Post-Religious
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-26-2012, 12:50 PM

5,671 posts, read 4,324,711 times
Very nice.

Old 11-26-2012, 02:58 PM

973 posts, read 1,446,694 times
Nice list. I usually celebrate the "spirit" of Yule. Maybe this year I should go with a Saturnalia theme.

Old 11-26-2012, 03:59 PM

1,316 posts, read 1,577,629 times
I read the article, and it's all false information.

Winter solstice celebrated on December 21/22 is the day when the daylight is at shortest in Northern hemisphere, and longest in Southern hemisphere.

Christmas Day is celebrated by most Christians on Dec 25 and has to do with the birth of Christ.

I do understand that you atheists may not celebrate Christmas for religious reasons, but stop trying to remove the reason for the holiday. Every person, website, federal site, dictionary, etc. know that the birth of Christ = Christmas. However, Dec 25 may not be the real date of his birth, but it was picked to be that date. It does make sense because January 1 is New Years Day, which is 7 or 8 days after his birth, and according to Jewish law he got circumcised.

Old 11-26-2012, 05:33 PM

794 posts, read 1,402,015 times
Nunnor, did you forget you outed yourself?

Old 11-26-2012, 09:17 PM

21,026 posts, read 22,063,341 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nunnor View Post

Winter solstice celebrated on December 21/22 is the day when the daylight is at shortest in Northern hemisphere, and longest in Southern hemisphere.

Christmas Day is celebrated by most Christians on Dec 25 and has to do with the birth of Christ.

I do understand that you atheists may not celebrate Christmas for religious reasons, but stop trying to remove the reason for the holiday. Every person, website, federal site, dictionary, etc. know that the birth of Christ = Christmas. However, Dec 25 may not be the real date of his birth, but it was picked to be that date. It does make sense because January 1 is New Years Day, which is 7 or 8 days after his birth, and according to Jewish law he got circumcised.
There's nothing false about celebrating or not celebrating Christmas for any damn reason a person chooses.

Wanna scream Happy Birthday Jesus while dancing naked around a nativity scene...go for it.

Wanna ignore the whole stupid ,expensive , stressful mess...do it!

Neither is wrong and all the variations in between are OK, too.

Christmas.....something to argue about..... Bah! Humbug!

Old 11-27-2012, 12:53 AM

4,869 posts, read 10,467,580 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nunnor View Post

Oh, the reason for that is that when they adopted it on December 25th that was the winter solstice. See, at the time they were still using the Julian Calendar which was mostly accurate, but which drifted a little over time because it didn't have leap years to correct for a year not having an exactly even number of days. So the winter solstice as an astronomical event drifted until a clever Roman figured out the Gregorian Calendar and fixed that little error. It's that same reason St. John the Baptist Day is also celebrated 3 days from the summer solstice (still a big holiday in my neck of the woods, and we burn bonfires all night long, presumably to commemorate the longest day of the year, the origin of that little tradition which is universal for all St. John the Baptist Days in every country and which has been reported in the historical records from ancient times).

By the way, I love Christmas and feel sad for Atheists who don't celebrate it. My cousin's boyfriend's atheist family don't celebrate Christmas and he always felt he was missing out on a wonderful tradition, so now he goes to her Hindu family's house and celebrates Christmas with them, a holiday they've embraced as a fun, joyous cultural tradition.

Old 11-27-2012, 01:03 AM

8,827 posts, read 7,298,757 times
I'm not gonna exchange one deity for a spirit or any other thing..I just decorate for the end of the year because it looks nice. You can enjoy everything about the end of the year without all the added stuff. without the superstitious stuff. If you give gifts, eat good food, enjoy company..whatever floats your boat ...you can do so just for enjoyment's sake..not because some deity or spirit moved you.

Last edited by MaggieZ; 11-27-2012 at 01:19 AM..

Old 11-27-2012, 11:11 AM

21,026 posts, read 22,063,341 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BIMBAM View Post
Oh, the reason for that is that when they adopted it on December 25th that was the winter solstice. See, at the time they were still using the Julian Calendar which was mostly accurate, but which drifted a little over time because it didn't have leap years to correct for a year not having an exactly even number of days. So the winter solstice as an astronomical event drifted until a clever Roman figured out the Gregorian Calendar and fixed that little error. It's that same reason St. John the Baptist Day is also celebrated 3 days from the summer solstice (still a big holiday in my neck of the woods, and we burn bonfires all night long, presumably to commemorate the longest day of the year, the origin of that little tradition which is universal for all St. John the Baptist Days in every country and which has been reported in the historical records from ancient times).

By the way, I love Christmas and feel sad for Atheists who don't celebrate it. My cousin's boyfriend's atheist family don't celebrate Christmas and he always felt he was missing out on a wonderful tradition, so now he goes to her Hindu family's house and celebrates Christmas with them, a holiday they've embraced as a fun, joyous cultural tradition.
Why you feel sad for people who don't celebrate Christmas????

Are you sad for yourself when you're not celebrating Christmas the rest of the year?

I am an atheist and don't celebrate Christmas and being an atheist has nothing to do with my not "doing" Christmas.
I just don't feel like going through all the expense , stress and general overload, over spending, over drinking, over eating, over footballing, over forced socializing.....

I can do all that if I choose at any time I choose....not when society tells me I should.

Old 11-27-2012, 03:46 PM

1,316 posts, read 1,577,629 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BIMBAM View Post

No it wasn't picked to celebrate Christ birth on 12/25 because of the winter solstice.
Anyone who don't celebrate Christmas is missing out an amazing holiday
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism