Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-30-2008, 03:50 PM

5,493 posts, read 7,336,634 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MontanaGuy View Post
I don't go on the Christianity subforum. The whole point of creating it was to have a place where Christians could talk about things without getting into a debate with atheists. I do think it's possible for people to discuss religion without insulting each other even if they completely disagree with each other regarding their beliefs. The best place to have such a discussion is on the main forum. As far as the meaning of offend, I think I would describe it as resorting to insults and ridicule instead of having an intelligent conversation and I've seen posts by people who are Christians, atheists and just about every other religion that would fall into this category. I know I've been guilty of it myself but I honestly want to challenge the things that people think without offending them.

I've been guilty as well.

But I'm workin on it.

Old 11-30-2008, 03:54 PM

2,008 posts, read 3,326,178 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gretchen_SDCA View Post
I have a question for other atheists on CD. Do you think that any person has the right to not be offended, i.e. especially in the context of his or her religious beliefs. I do not share this opinion and typically believe that as long as discussion is substantive and non-violent, any topic (whether religious or not) is fair game.

As an example, I recently challenged another poster on the Christianity forum regarding the lack of logic and reasoning behind Christianity. Subsequently, I was cited for "attacking Christianity" on that forum.

As an atheist, I often get told on here that I will go to hell, be doomed forever, and even that I have no right to hold such views. Even though some of it may be offensive, I learn to take it from whom it comes and/or argue back. Do you think that Christians(and others) have the right to some sort of bubble-wrap around their beliefs, where criticism should be construed as "attack?"
To me offensive is when things get unnecessary in a disagreement.

IE:

"I think christianity causes many problems and it isn't that productive for a society to bind itself to 3500 old ideals."

"Christianity is stupid, and so are all the people who believe in it - You're stupid too. They're all sheep. All it has done is make people kill each other"

If someone finds the first one offensive, I think that's their problem for being too uptight Or perhaps bad wording on my part. But It would more reasonable to be offended by the second one as it is my attempt to outright **** someone off.

So I guess in short, it depends on the person. For one to be offended on the mere basis that they disagree is pretty childish in my opinion. But to get offended by childish jabs from one who is being offensive is more reasonable

Old 11-30-2008, 04:01 PM

5,493 posts, read 7,336,634 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cleatis View Post
To me offensive is when things get unnecessary in a disagreement.

IE:

"I think christianity causes many problems and it isn't that productive for a society to bind itself to 3500 old ideals."

"Christianity is stupid, and so are all the people who believe in it - You're stupid too. They're all sheep. All it has done is make people kill each other"

If someone finds the first one offensive, I think that's their problem for being too uptight Or perhaps bad wording on my part. But It would more reasonable to be offended by the second one as it is my attempt to outright **** someone off.

So I guess in short, it depends on the person. For one to be offended on the mere basis that they disagree is pretty childish in my opinion. But to get offended by childish jabs from one who is being offensive is more reasonable

Frankly I am more "offended" by well reasoned arguments than silly antics.
The well reasoned arguments are more challenging to me than childish name calling.
But I do enjoy the intellectual jousting.
Afterall, it's the main reason I participate.

Old 11-30-2008, 04:23 PM

7,915 posts, read 18,621,412 times
Oakback wrote:
Quote:
But I do enjoy the intellectual jousting.
Afterall, it's the main reason I participate.
I feel the some way and fortunately there's a few top notch members with differing beliefs who are so good at expressing themselves that it makes doing this worthwhile. I've happened upon a few internet sites by chance in which atheism and religion were supposedly being discussed but the people who were posting messages were just idiots and all they were capable of doing was namecalling and making ridiculous statements. To it's credit, City Data is the only website that I've discovered that actually has discussions that are worth reading and I think the mods deserve some credit for it because they do make an effort to enforce a certain amount of civility and to quickly get rid of any kook who is just looking to start trouble.

Old 11-30-2008, 04:34 PM

3,032 posts, read 8,919,501 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marodi View Post
Boo freakin hoo. You wanna know how much trashing athiesm gets?

So for christians, should we assume that no one can take a little crticism, that we need to sugar coat it for them? Are you really that precious and delicate? Should we all act like we would towards a kid that still believes in Santa or the easter bunny?

Your reaction is like a kid that just got told that Rudolph was stupid. Get some thick skin. It's the internet ffs. There are definately more offensive things out there than the word 'skygod'. The fact we are having this discussion is pathetic.

Someone apparently moderates with blatant bias.
Welcome to CD.

Old 11-30-2008, 04:40 PM

7,996 posts, read 12,272,201 times
Moderator cut:

Guys, here's the quote directly out of the Terms of Service:

"Discussing moderator actions (deleting/moving/editing threads or posts) is not allowed in the public forums. General concerns should be addressed in About the Forum. Any particular issues will only be dealt with in Direct Messages sent to a local moderator. All complaints should be sent via DM to the senior moderators, Yac or markablue."

You know where/how to find us.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism