U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-06-2008, 10:47 PM

30,877 posts, read 31,757,930 times

Advertisements

I just ran across these this evening..I thought creationism wasn't taught in US public schools...I guess I was wrong.

YouTube - Penn and Teller Bull****! Creationism Pt. 1

YouTube - Penn and Teller Bull****! Creationism Pt. 2

YouTube - Penn and Teller Bull****! Creationism Pt. 3
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-07-2008, 06:08 AM

5,165 posts, read 8,262,598 times
I saw this episode long ago. Sad, isn't it?

Definitely would only pass in the Bible Belt and heavily religious areas.

Old 12-07-2008, 06:16 AM

9,616 posts, read 11,370,795 times
Cool San, san, san.....

You DO realize, don't you sanspeur, that you've been intellectually and philosophically isolated for too long on that Island, right? It's so big that you've come to feel that your ideas might have "mainland" and "mainstream" merit, validity and "gravity" (only a theory, mind you...) in a real-world discussion.

Come on in to the tent, brother! We have a nice warm place for you, right here between Sister Selma and Brother Francisco. Father Peter is also here, sitting right behind you with the "Ropes of Love", if needed. They even have some Kool-Aid for you to drink (we even warmed it this time. Too many complaints, though short-lived, last time...).

Seriously, san, I had no idea that P & T were into this stuff. Thank you; I'm going to use this stuff wisely. P & T have a very effective (and funny..) pulpit, so to speak, to convincingly put away the frantic and intellectually pathological folks seen in the video. Of course the more emotional and myth-dependant hostile posters herein will resist the inevitable demonstration of truth in the same way that a field mouse on our rural property here tries to resist it's demise when Dottie, my Wonder Cat smacks her nice predatory (functionally evolved and adapted) "carnassials" after she's finally caught said mousey.

Ah yes, predation. Only a theory mind you!

Some things are just plain inevitable, even to mice....

"Squeak Squeak!"

Old 12-07-2008, 08:37 AM

4,172 posts, read 5,991,415 times
What bothers me is not just that evolution is a fact, but also, in the name of religion, we are dissing science and teaching the wrong things to kids. From a practical viewpoint, this is a very competitive world - getting more so as it is becoming smaller - and we need to imbibe sense (not propaganda) into our kids.

Old 12-07-2008, 08:56 AM

2,345 posts, read 3,902,204 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by calmdude View Post
What bothers me is not just that evolution is a fact, but also, in the name of religion, we are dissing science and teaching the wrong things to kids. From a practical viewpoint, this is a very competitive world - getting more so as it is becoming smaller - and we need to imbibe sense (not propaganda) into our kids.
The last time I checked evolution was still called the "Theory of Evolution." I think that both go hand in hand somehow myself. Neither one makes sense in and of itself.

Old 12-07-2008, 09:15 AM

3,517 posts, read 12,050,067 times
They have long been proponents of reason and are outed atheists. They have a bully pulpit and use it well.

The real problem is that creationism uses and teaches all the inept thinking traits that are anti-science. The fundamental lesson in studying science is to learn the scientific method and to learn how to be aware of human irrational failings and how to keep them out of the analysis. Science gets nowhere when everything can be attributed to the magic man in the sky. As was so clearly evidenced by the long centuries during the middle ages when the religionists held sway and severely punished anyone who had the temerity to think.

Old 12-07-2008, 09:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaniMae1 View Post
The last time I checked evolution was still called the "Theory of Evolution." I think that both go hand in hand somehow myself. Neither one makes sense in and of itself.
Yeah, just like gravity is a theory....You need to educate yourself as to what term theory means in science...It's not what you think it is.

Old 12-07-2008, 09:45 AM

3,517 posts, read 12,050,067 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sanspeur View Post
Yeah, just like gravity is a theory....You need to educate yourself as to what term theory means in science...It's not what you think it is.
Come on guys. Gravity is not just a theory. It's the LAW!

And yeah, a theory in science has a great deal of evidence to support it and nothing that has proven it false.

A law in science is overwhelmingly shown to be true with nothing that has ever shown it to be false. The theory of evolution would probably graduate to law status if it weren't for the political nonsense.

Far different definitions than the vernacular use of the words use.

Old 12-07-2008, 09:59 AM

4,172 posts, read 5,991,415 times
Evolution is pretty close to being a very well accepted theory among scientific circles. There is much more evidence that it is true than there is otherwise. In any case, my point (post 4 above) was to protect our school kids from completely made-up propaganda like creationism. If I were that religious, I would first search for proof of god's existance instead of spending time debunking evolution which, in my mind, is almost 90% proven with no real competing theories against it.

Old 12-07-2008, 10:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tesaje View Post
Come on guys. Gravity is not just a theory. It's the LAW!

And yeah, a theory in science has a great deal of evidence to support it and nothing that has proven it false.

A law in science is overwhelmingly shown to be true with nothing that has ever shown it to be false. The theory of evolution would probably graduate to law status if it weren't for the political nonsense.

Far different definitions than the vernacular use of the words use.
Uh, I do not see the words "law of gravity" in these articles...

Gravitation - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Gravity Theory -- Introducing Energy-Density Component

You all just gotta look at this one....I thought I'd seen it all, but...Intelligent falling????

http://www.theonion.com/content/node/39512
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism