Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-11-2010, 12:13 AM

17,183 posts, read 22,902,669 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Milleka View Post
Ok, well I've spent the last 20 or so minutes looking for the story I heard and now I can't find it. But, it was surprising to me to hear that more educated people were turning toward religion instead of the other way around.
I did find this story, but it doesn't say more educated people are turning toward religion at least not exactly. It says that *if* someone is educated and believes, they are more likely to go to church and to act on their religious beliefs.

Church Attendance Higher Among the Educated

Quote:
It is common knowledge that educated people are less likely to say they believe in God. They are also less likely to say religion is important in their lives. What is not well know is that educated people are more likely to say they attended religious services in the last seven days. Education is negatively correlated with expressions of religious belief, but maybe positively correlated with religious activity.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-11-2010, 05:09 AM

1,224 posts, read 3,999,487 times
Uhhh. Ok. Semantics. I'm not sure what your point is Nana.

Old 12-11-2010, 05:17 AM

4,348 posts, read 7,353,647 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NCN View Post
Where would the fact that 99% of the prison population do not believe in God figure into this?
You have the inverse of the percentage. Check your Data. Less than one % of the US prison population are Atheist. The largest majority are christians, and catholics.

Old 12-11-2010, 05:22 AM

4,348 posts, read 7,353,647 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NCN View Post
I also read or heard on the news that the more well-off financially a person is, the more likely they are to believe in God.
I think you are just making thing up to see if you can get a rise out of the thread. Statistics show the higher the education level the less a person is likely to be religious. I have not looked for a match to wealth and religious views, but with many of the worlds richest making statements on thief lack of religion I suspect this is one you made up too.

Old 12-11-2010, 05:36 AM

1,224 posts, read 3,999,487 times
NCN didn't post it to get a rise. I'm the one that actually brought it up to begin with. It was a story on NPR the other day. I think we're on the same side, but it's hard to tell. Yikes.

Anyway- the whole prison thing... They can say all day long that they are Christian or believe in God or whatever. It doesn't make it true. They are PRISONERS. Not exactly a group of people who are known for their truth-telling abilities. If I'm in prison, I'm going to say or do whatever it takes to get out of there. So, these statistics of prisoners who claim they've found Jesus seem a little off to me.

Old 01-13-2013, 05:19 AM

2,096 posts, read 4,774,546 times
I'm sure there are plenty of negative things that correlate positively towards intelligence. Not that atheism is negative necessarily, but atheists having higher IQs doesn't follow that they are probably right.

Old 01-14-2013, 09:45 AM

9,327 posts, read 12,999,233 times
There's a small correlation between religiosity and intelligence as a whole, although this probably increases toward the tails of the bell curve.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism