U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-31-2008, 04:34 PM

2,415 posts, read 2,428,260 times

Advertisements

Atheist, are you picking or rejecting it all?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-31-2008, 05:00 PM

6,715 posts, read 12,285,900 times
I think there are some, emphasis on some, historical truths in the Bible. Yet, I've read a lot of fiction in my time and have also come across a lot of historical truths in those books as well. I think that the Old Testament does have some historical accuracy to it but I do indeed reject the parts that say God had something to do with an event and I, of course, reject the nonsense such as Adam and Eve or Noah's Ark that have absolutely no evidence to support as having happened.

I would say I reject more of it than I accept but I do think there are a few locations, perhaps wars and battles, and things of that sort that the Bible depicts accurately.

Again, though, I read spy novels about the Soviet Union quite frequently when I was a teenager and they depicted many real places and things such as the KGB, the Kremlin, etc... but that doesn't mean I think the whole novel is true.

Old 12-31-2008, 05:08 PM

2,415 posts, read 2,428,260 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GCSTroop View Post
I think there are some, emphasis on some, historical truths in the Bible. Yet, I've read a lot of fiction in my time and have also come across a lot of historical truths in those books as well. I think that the Old Testament does have some historical accuracy to it but I do indeed reject the parts that say God had something to do with an event and I, of course, reject the nonsense such as Adam and Eve or Noah's Ark that have absolutely no evidence to support as having happened.

I would say I reject more of it than I accept but I do think there are a few locations, perhaps wars and battles, and things of that sort that the Bible depicts accurately.

Again, though, I read spy novels about the Soviet Union quite frequently when I was a teenager and they depicted many real places and things such as the KGB, the Kremlin, etc... but that doesn't mean I think the whole novel is true.
How old were you when you rejected God ? IF YOU CAn remember SUCH A THING.

Old 12-31-2008, 05:11 PM

7,916 posts, read 16,812,212 times
For myself, I think I'm just looking at it in a realistic manner and I believe it's important to realize that even though portions of the Bible do have valuable advice regarding how to treat your fellow man it's also filled with so much violence and sadistic behavior that if it were not the Bible it would be an R rated book and would probably not be available for those under 18 to check out from a library. I don't accept it all because there's so much of it that is simply unacceptable. That would include the treatment of women as second class citizens and servers of men, the acceptance of slavery and the brutal treatment of those who don't happen to be the chosen people and are slaughtered like animals, and their wives and children are carted off to an unknown and probably horrible fate. I have to reject that because I find it to be inhuman and sadistic. The good parts of the Bible seem to be few and far between. To be honest with you, the Bible itself is the reason that I could never consider it to be a book that is full of love and hope and it's also the reason that I believe it is in fact a work from the imagination of human beings who lived in a very brutal age.

Old 12-31-2008, 05:19 PM

5,165 posts, read 8,270,895 times
The Bible is like a historical fiction.

Old 12-31-2008, 05:21 PM

16,584 posts, read 33,815,340 times
I think it's mostly fairy tales and fables interspersed with the odd bit of historical fact or near fact.

Old 12-31-2008, 05:45 PM

4,349 posts, read 6,625,544 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluescityleon View Post
Atheist, are you picking or rejecting it all?
The problem with the bible is it has been changed to meet the needs of “the day” by the organized church for the last two thousand years. Even in its original state it was more fiction than fact and a political tool for the government. Today it falls into a dangerous mythology used to justify killing, prejudice, and crimes against humanity. I don't accept much of it.

Old 12-31-2008, 05:54 PM

19,121 posts, read 26,719,493 times
Some of it, of course, will be based on historical fact. Places, probably people and certain events happened, I'm sure. The supernatural part? Ark? Genesis? Talking Snakes and donkeys, burning bushes etc. No, not so much. The bible can teach great things but it is not the end all be all of morality (as anyone who has actually read the bible can attest to) but I think it is a valuable historical tool.

Old 12-31-2008, 05:59 PM

6,715 posts, read 12,285,900 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluescityleon View Post
How old were you when you rejected God ? IF YOU CAn remember SUCH A THING.
I can't remember every believing.

Old 12-31-2008, 06:39 PM

3,412 posts, read 9,222,789 times
I read bible out of curiosity, i found majority of it to be boring, because majority of the bible is wars, killings and other cruelties.
There are historical places and events that might be true and probably are, but bible would be more believable, more "moral", if you take away all the gore and supernatural out of it, including Heaven and Hell. But then it would be a book of 10 pages.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or