Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-14-2009, 03:57 PM

5,004 posts, read 15,309,473 times

Advertisements

Forgotten Books :: Free Books, Sacred Texts, Ancient Knowledge

This book can be read for free on this wonderful website that has a long list of books that are no longer published but can be read for free.

This book go into all the myths about Christ and Buddha that have been in existence before Christ and Buddha and that are the same. It is really a detailed and well written book. A great book for any atheist to read.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-14-2009, 04:54 PM

4,348 posts, read 7,335,893 times
It is a treasure. I just skimmed the list, and flew through one book from the 1880. It has now been added to my list of favorites. Thanks

Old 01-14-2009, 06:00 PM

917 posts, read 2,292,970 times
Really cool MattieJo, thanks so much!

Old 01-15-2009, 06:06 AM

What is interesting about the pagan christs is that in the past there were sacrifices done on men and when they were being sacrificed they called out to them that they were God. They prepared the sacrifice much the same way as they did for Jesus Christ in that they beat the man, gave him a garland, often broke his legs, pierced him, gave him wine and myrth (the vingear in the Christ account was really wine), put him on a stake ro cross, and afterwards they made him a God. And now we are supposed to believe that this Jesus Christ is not like any other?

Old 01-15-2009, 09:09 AM

7,084 posts, read 14,804,246 times
Good Stuff!! Thanks for the link.

Old 01-15-2009, 08:32 PM

3,517 posts, read 13,232,285 times
That looks like an index site to the Google books trove. Here is a link to the Gutenberg Project that many years before Google did their book thing, has been making thousands of out of copyright books available on line and for download for free. It doesn't have that one but I notice that Google books says it is copyrighted material (but it was published more than 80 years ago???)
Online Book Catalog - Overview - Project Gutenberg

That book looks interesting and shows there were skeptics 100 years ago too.

Old 01-15-2009, 09:59 PM

63,453 posts, read 39,704,022 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattie Jo View Post
What is interesting about the pagan christs is that in the past there were sacrifices done on men and when they were being sacrificed they called out to them that they were God. They prepared the sacrifice much the same way as they did for Jesus Christ in that they beat the man, gave him a garland, often broke his legs, pierced him, gave him wine and myrth (the vingear in the Christ account was really wine), put him on a stake ro cross, and afterwards they made him a God. And now we are supposed to believe that this Jesus Christ is not like any other?
This symbolism is quite a widespread phenomenon across diverse primitive human cultures. Whereas you see this as somehow disconfirming the Christ legend . . . I see quite the opposite. I keep mentioning the "spiritual fossil record" (which I have researched extensively) and its importance in deciphering our spiritual evolution and its significance. We have done an impressive job in documenting our physical evolution . . . and with genetics have deciphered the "design" (let's NOT debate how the design got there, shall we?) that is represented in the DNA code. We can trace various physical attributes in the fossil record to specific gene sequences , etc. We have done no such thing with the spiritual attributes . . . probably because the brain is such a complex organ and we have barely begun to even guess about the relationship of genes to our thoughts . . . I suspect it is a long long way off. The intricacies of the DNA patterns for our brain or central nervous system are well beyond our current capacities to decipher. As Nobel Laureate Crick suggested,

. . . Problems that involve a large number of almost simultaneous parallel interactions, such as the problem of predicting how a chain of amino acids will fold up, have made little progress. Such an analysis does not augur well for problems of understanding the higher nervous system, which are mainly of the latter type.

Nevertheless, to continue with my point, if there is a "design" coded in that has enabled US to evolve physically . . . surely there is one that enables us to evolve spiritually. The only clues about that design would have to be found in the products of our mind . . . the "spiritual fossil record" and it is quite revealing and enlightening.

Old 01-16-2009, 05:44 AM

I can't see that it confirms Christ at all. Early religions often had human sacrifices in which they drank the blood and ate the flesh of the victim and turned the victim into a God, even calling out to him while he was on the cross, saying that he is God. I see no difference in this than in Jesus' so-called death. And yet in Christ's teachings I see Buddha's teachings, and in Buddha's teachings there is nothing new. These victims were said to even take the sins of man away. So I may as well believe that anyone of those God sacrifices took my sins away as I would Jesus' death. I really don't think that Christianity has evolved much from those early religions. The only thing that I see is that sacrifice is now outlawed in most places. India and Africa still have some of this happening. For example, in Indian in some parts they thrown the woman on top of her dead husband and burn her along with him.

To me, Christianity is a barbaric religion as are others.

Old 01-16-2009, 06:08 AM

4,511 posts, read 7,498,811 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattie Jo View Post
I can't see that it confirms Christ at all. Early religions often had human sacrifices in which they drank the blood and ate the flesh of the victim and turned the victim into a God, even calling out to him while he was on the cross, saying that he is God. I see no difference in this than in Jesus' so-called death. And yet in Christ's teachings I see Buddha's teachings, and in Buddha's teachings there is nothing new. These victims were said to even take the sins of man away. So I may as well believe that anyone of those God sacrifices took my sins away as I would Jesus' death. I really don't think that Christianity has evolved much from those early religions. The only thing that I see is that sacrifice is now outlawed in most places. India and Africa still have some of this happening. For example, in Indian in some parts they thrown the woman on top of her dead husband and burn her along with him.

To me, Christianity is a barbaric religion as are others.

Maybe you underestimate y-our ancestors - their records could not be written with the supporting means we do have today.
What i for one can and want to conclude from those records however, is a synchronicity of perception vs. the reality check of their time.

And what do we see today? Only another variation of the cruelties or the chance to come to a better understanding of an as yet incomplete master plan a truly divine intelligence has been availabe at all times, anywhere?

Can't understand? Sorry.

Old 01-16-2009, 08:46 AM

10,908 posts, read 9,520,473 times
Just another example of the christian proponents incorporating beliefs from prior to their origin to become their own. Kind of like the celebration of christmas. The typical way that they attempt to "prove" that they have the only "true" religion. Of course that they conscripted their beliefs means nothing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism