U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Closed Thread Start New Thread
 
Old 01-18-2009, 12:26 AM
 
3,259 posts, read 5,097,230 times
Reputation: 1470

Advertisements

Since I'm a Christian, our hope was empty and we go back to nothingness. At least we won't go to hell for rejecting Jesus. But if by chance the athiets are actually wrong, then that's a HELLuva chance to take as well.

 
Old 01-18-2009, 02:08 AM
 
225 posts, read 306,399 times
Reputation: 115
This is one tired, worn out line of thought. Only you 'choose' to believe in things that are not there, apparently to avoid a hellish afterlife. I have no choice but to rationally look at the world around me and take it on face value. Sure, some sort of Heaven sounds great. Wish it were true. But wishing doesn't make it so.
 
Old 01-18-2009, 03:24 AM
 
Location: Brussels, Belgium
971 posts, read 1,502,401 times
Reputation: 235
Oh god, not Pascal's Wager again. This argument is not new, not original, and has been refuted dozens of times. Besides, did you read this rule?

What if you die and face a God who rewards critical thinking and punishes blind faith?
 
Old 01-18-2009, 03:43 AM
 
Location: Sheffield, England
2,639 posts, read 5,930,413 times
Reputation: 3249
You could ask "what if?" till the end of time. There are thousands of religions and worldviews out there so, if God does actually exist in some form, the chances that you've picked the right one are minute anyway. That is, if God does exist at all. Everyone is essentially in the same boat, no matter what they believe, and this is why, realistically, everyone is agnostic at heart. You can be certain of something and still be wrong.
 
Old 01-18-2009, 04:04 AM
 
9,912 posts, read 12,184,827 times
Reputation: 7257
Default What If the Atheists are right?

Quote:
Originally Posted by antredd View Post
Since I'm a Christian, our hope was empty and we go back to nothingness. At least we won't go to hell for rejecting Jesus. But if by chance the athiets are actually wrong, then that's a HELLuva chance to take as well.
We are. Now think of all the great things you can go and do with all that mental energy.

Nothing personal antredd, but I've more than made my peace with myself, and I'm happy to take my chances. Just as I'm sure you are.
 
Old 01-18-2009, 04:31 AM
 
4,997 posts, read 13,542,664 times
Reputation: 2400
Quote:
Originally Posted by antredd View Post
Since I'm a Christian, our hope was empty and we go back to nothingness. At least we won't go to hell for rejecting Jesus. But if by chance the athiets are actually wrong, then that's a HELLuva chance to take as well.
So you love God because you fear hell. That love could very well be in vain because you should never love someone in order to avoid something horrible. That is like loving a person because if you don't he will kill you. Of course, sometimes victims do fall in love with their kidnappers out of fear somehow. And so now this God you love is holding you captive.
 
Old 01-18-2009, 07:11 AM
 
Location: Mississippi
6,715 posts, read 12,039,798 times
Reputation: 4273
Quote:
Originally Posted by antredd View Post
Since I'm a Christian, our hope was empty and we go back to nothingness. At least we won't go to hell for rejecting Jesus. But if by chance the athiets are actually wrong, then that's a HELLuva chance to take as well.
I find it interesting that people will draw this assumption that there is either their specific God or there is no God at all. What if you're wrong about any other of the multitudes of Gods people have worshipped throughout history? Allah? Zeus? Thor? Odin? Ra? What happens if we're wrong about those Gods?
 
Old 01-18-2009, 07:57 AM
 
Location: In the North Idaho woods, still surrounded by terriers
2,178 posts, read 6,151,713 times
Reputation: 973
Then, Troop, the Christians will not get their 72 virgins
 
Old 01-18-2009, 09:36 AM
 
7,654 posts, read 9,674,682 times
Reputation: 495
Quote:
Originally Posted by Predos View Post
A fallacy of logic based on preconceived ( and most likely false) assumptions. Unproven and unprovable, a waste of time.
Well, is your assumption based on personal opinion? Or can you show us that the Biblical prophecies are false? Easy to say a waste of time, yet do you have any evidence to refute the prophecies of the Bible? Because unless you do, I would say it is your statement that is really a waste of time.
 
Old 01-18-2009, 09:54 AM
 
Location: The land where cats rule
10,946 posts, read 7,977,821 times
Reputation: 3602
Quote:
Originally Posted by Campbell34 View Post
Well, is your assumption based on personal opinion? Or can you show us that the Biblical prophecies are false? Easy to say a waste of time, yet do you have any evidence to refute the prophecies of the Bible? Because unless you do, I would say it is your statement that is really a waste of time.
How about these, just for a start. Prepare your spin to convince yourself of the error being true.

Jeremiah 3-17: All nations will embrace Judaism

Jeremiah 5-31: The prophets prophesy falsely

I generally don't waste my time with your biblical nonsense, but since you insist on evidence from your own source...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top