Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-23-2009, 03:18 PM

7,915 posts, read 18,618,410 times

Advertisements

It would be interesting if a group of people could grow up in an environment in which there was never a mention in a belief in God. Because every civilization has a religion in some form in it's history it makes me wonder if an isolated group like this would just invent another god. If they were given all of the advancements in human knowledge that we have today and only religion was excluded it's possible that they wouldn't reinvent a new religion but I think it's a possibility that they might.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-23-2009, 04:12 PM

13,640 posts, read 24,500,581 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sanspeur View Post
It is far easier to let some divine power take credit for good and bad rather than take personal responsibility for your life.
I agree with this..and I am a believer
"The devil made me do it", if you get caught and are ashamed...
(not accepting responsibility for your own choices)

"Praise God, he answered MY prayers" If your pride wants the credit for someones goodness or great accomplishments
(boasting)

Old 01-23-2009, 05:02 PM

33,521 posts, read 37,121,123 times
If I do good work, why shouldn't I get the credit, and if I screw up who else is to blame but me?

Old 01-23-2009, 05:16 PM

11,446 posts, read 16,179,956 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MontanaGuy View Post
The question seems more complicated than it sounds because to me atheism seems like it's a response to a belief as opposed to being something in and of itself. So in that sense I don't think you could be born an atheist because your mind is like a blank slate at birth and a newborn baby couldn't possibly have a position on a subject they don't even know exists.
That's exactly it! Everyone's mind is in a blank state at birth. Atheism means no religion. The word atheism is a label society uses to describe. Try to conceive of this state at birth without labels. Blank state is a good description.
This may be difficult in our society because a strong belief in god is considered the norm, whereas atheism is a deviation from the norm.
Religion comes from the immediate environment, not from within.

Old 01-23-2009, 05:20 PM

3,412 posts, read 10,167,793 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MontanaGuy View Post
It would be interesting if a group of people could grow up in an environment in which there was never a mention in a belief in God. Because every civilization has a religion in some form in it's history it makes me wonder if an isolated group like this would just invent another god. If they were given all of the advancements in human knowledge that we have today and only religion was excluded it's possible that they wouldn't reinvent a new religion but I think it's a possibility that they might.
Good question, good example probably will be citizens on the island of a New Guinea.

Take a group of young children, who were brought on some isolated island, knowing nothing about god. What would they believe? How would they comprehend anything around them? Without scientific explanations that we have, they would become believers into something else, i'm not speaking of any specific religion, just something they would develop on their own. Here is how new religion would come to life!

Old 01-23-2009, 05:27 PM

3,517 posts, read 13,257,254 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShepsMom View Post
Good question, good example probably will be citizens on the island of a New Guinea.

Take a group of young children, who were brought on some isolated island, knowing nothing about god. What would they believe? How would they comprehend anything around them? Without scientific explanations that we have, they would become believers into something else, i'm not speaking of any specific religion, just something they would develop on their own. Here is how new religion would come to life!
Remember the chilling novel The Lord of the Flies? It posits just this sort of scenario.

Old 01-23-2009, 06:07 PM

970 posts, read 1,699,524 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FormerCaliforniaGirl
Anyway, a few months ago my mom told me she read an article about scientists believing they might have located an "atheist" gene. Apparently, it's hypothesized that there might actually be a gene that some people have, that makes them less able to blindly believe. This gene makes us more analytical, and more skeptical. I myself never read the article, and I haven't done much research on it, but I suppose it is feasible...
Irecommend extreme scepticism towards such a claim. Unfortunately perhaps, genes tend to be much more complicated than blueprints. As far as I know (and I've taken a course at university about it last year), every single "discovery" of a "[personality trait] gene" is either a mistake that has since be corrected, a scientific fraud, or a big media misunderstanding. This includes the "gay gene", the "motherly gene", the "hygiene gene", and the "God gene". Things as complicated as character traits are much more likely to be the indirect result of thousands of apparently unrelated genes.

Old 01-24-2009, 09:04 AM

1,384 posts, read 2,345,632 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShepsMom View Post

I posted a thread a while back on this very topic. It was in regards to 3 separate isolated islands with one being religious, one being atheist, and one being given a choice of the two and how life would differ on each.

Old 01-24-2009, 09:49 AM

8,998 posts, read 14,782,217 times
I thought everyone was born an atheist...
You don't just pop out the womb with notions of god, Buddha, or whatever.
You're indoctrinated.

Old 01-24-2009, 02:33 PM

7,084 posts, read 14,855,038 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tesaje View Post
Remember the chilling novel The Lord of the Flies? It posits just this sort of scenario.
of course, Golding posits from a different perspective, his thing was "evil is inherent in the human soul, no matter what form of innocents it takes" , he was not a believer in the "inherent goodness" of human character. His book did pose an interesting theorum.

Tesaje, I gotta spread some around before I can rep you again; or, so says the message.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism