Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-22-2009, 06:52 PM

1,117 posts, read 1,994,726 times

Advertisements

I apologize if this subject has been discussed in a previous thread...I did some searching and didn't find anything, so I thought I'd start a thread myself.

Basically, I'm wondering if any of you feel you were "born" an atheist?

You see, I've had several people ask me, "When did you become an atheist?". And the truth is, I can't ever remember NOT being an atheist. I can't remember any defining moment, or any epihpany where I thought, "Ah hah! There is no God."

My parents are atheists, and like me, they too can't remember ever not being atheists. My sister is an atheist, and her son is an atheist. But atheism truly was never discussed in my family when I was growing up. I didn't have my first discussion with my parents about atheism until I was well into my 20's.

When I was 6 years old, my best friend (who was from a very religious family) invited me to church with her. I asked my mom if I could go (I had never been to church), and she was absolutely fine with it. She bought me a new Sunday dress, and gave me a quarter to put in the offering plate. And off to church I went.

Sunday school was great! I loved the punch and cookies, and the arts and crafts. But I remember having absolutely no interest in the religious aspect of Sunday school. And the sermon that followed nearly killed me because I had to sit still and be quiet for an entire hour. But I did like it when we got to stand up and sing at the end.

After about a year of attending church with my friend, I told my mom I didn't want to go anymore. She didn't question my decision and just said it was okay with her.

And I never attended church again.

As I grew into my teens, that same friend was part of youth church group that conducted bible study classes once a week, and went on all sorts of youth outings. My friend invited me to several of the outings, and I declined. I didn't like anything "churchy". Although I didn't give it much thought at the time, I didn't believe in any of the "nonsense" about God, Jesus, and the Bible. It all seemed completely implausible and very much like an old wive's tale to me.

I think I first heard the term "atheism" in my early 20's. It was a relief that there was actually a term for my lack of belief.

Anyway, a few months ago my mom told me she read an article about scientists believing they might have located an "atheist" gene. Apparently, it's hypothesized that there might actually be a gene that some people have, that makes them less able to blindly believe. This gene makes us more analytical, and more skeptical. I myself never read the article, and I haven't done much research on it, but I suppose it is feasible...especially since I asked my (now grown) nephew when he realized he was an atheist, and he answered, "I've always been an atheist."

Anyway, any thoughts from anybody? Have any of you had the same experience that I have?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-22-2009, 07:02 PM

11,446 posts, read 16,185,973 times
Everyone is born as an atheist. Religion is injected from parents or community.

Old 01-22-2009, 07:12 PM

1,117 posts, read 1,994,726 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Visvaldis View Post
Everyone is born as an atheist. Religion is injected from parents or community.
True...but what separates those who, once they are introduced to religion, buy into it with complete faith, and those who don't buy into it at all? It can't all be taught. I mean, after all I attended Sunday school and did all the lessons and listened to all the sermons, and I never...not once...believed any of it.

I guess my point is, how much is belief in God environmental (taught) and how much is biological (instinctive)?

Old 01-22-2009, 08:37 PM

1,384 posts, read 2,346,810 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FormerCaliforniaGirl View Post
True...but what separates those who, once they are introduced to religion, buy into it with complete faith, and those who don't buy into it at all? It can't all be taught. I mean, after all I attended Sunday school and did all the lessons and listened to all the sermons, and I never...not once...believed any of it.

I guess my point is, how much is belief in God environmental (taught) and how much is biological (instinctive)?

It's probably psychologically complicated based on the environment a person is raised in, their personal insecurities, etc. My parents, although Catholic, weren't overly bearing and didn't use "God" to control me. From a young age, I didn't really believe the Catholic version of god, but still believed he existed. It is only in the last 5-10 years that I've begun to question the foundations of it all and now fully agnostic.

However, to get back on point, I believe the more the parents, environment, friends, etc. influence with religion, the more likely someone is to hold strong religious beliefs...to an extent. Of course, education and natural intelligence will also play a role in shaping a person's beliefs.

Old 01-22-2009, 08:44 PM

122 posts, read 224,389 times
Atheist gene? I asked my grandpa, and he says no one he remembers in the family was ever an Atheist (everyone else in my family tree as far as I can see is a Theist).

This was very interesting... But when I was 7 I remember walking out in church which led to me finally telling my parents that the idea of mass prayer & worshiping scares the jeebies out of me. Since then I wasn't forced to go to church anymore. I told my parents I didn't believe in god a couple months earlier than this, but they still wanted me at church with them.

I wasn't born Atheist. For sure.

I was just fed Roman Catholicism. Very crazy with the sacrifices and all. They try to lure you in with juice and cookies.

Old 01-23-2009, 10:35 AM

7,915 posts, read 18,624,668 times
The question seems more complicated than it sounds because to me atheism seems like it's a response to a belief as opposed to being something in and of itself. So in that sense I don't think you could be born an atheist because your mind is like a blank slate at birth and a newborn baby couldn't possibly have a position on a subject they don't even know exists.

Old 01-23-2009, 01:02 PM

3,517 posts, read 13,261,663 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MontanaGuy View Post
The question seems more complicated than it sounds because to me atheism seems like it's a response to a belief as opposed to being something in and of itself. So in that sense I don't think you could be born an atheist because your mind is like a blank slate at birth and a newborn baby couldn't possibly have a position on a subject they don't even know exists.
That's a good point if you define it as an active position. But since the word means no belief in god, then technically, all babies are atheists as they have an absence of god belief. They must learn about god to believe in god.

Old 01-23-2009, 01:22 PM

33,536 posts, read 37,140,220 times
Certainly we are all born without belief, but I think some people are physiologically more disposed to be followers rather than think for themselves....It is far easier to let some divine power take credit for good and bad rather than take personal responsibility for your life.

Old 01-23-2009, 01:33 PM

4,156 posts, read 11,010,718 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sanspeur View Post
Certainly we are all born without belief, but I think some people are physiologically more disposed to be followers rather than think for themselves....It is far easier to let some divine power take credit for good and bad rather than take personal responsibility for your life.
Amen! er, I mean I agree.

Old 01-23-2009, 02:34 PM

3,517 posts, read 13,261,663 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sanspeur View Post
That could be, and I suppose that is what the OP was implying with the research. The better way to phrase the question is are some are born with a predilection to atheism and some are born with a predilection towards faith.

Then the next question is do those born with a predilection towards faith turn into believers in god when brought up not to? We already know that many of us became atheists despite training to be believers.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism