Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-23-2009, 10:09 AM

3,032 posts, read 8,918,999 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by g-vegas View Post
I was not asking about you personally, I was asking about you generically, as in humans in general. So is atheism a belief in nothing, or just people who dont have any facts
Let me be blunt...are you truly here to learn and discuss, or are you just here as yet another confrontational Christian who thinks it's his duty to spread the word of Jesus to the heathens over here in this forum? Because you're starting to sound like the latter to me.

As far as facts go...there are no supportive "facts" proving a god.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-23-2009, 10:11 AM

7,915 posts, read 18,620,342 times
As far as the origins of life are concerned, evolution is a scientific fact, so we can explain how life evolved over millions of years from single celled life to complex life. We don't yet understand the process of how non living material turned into single celled life but as we learn more about it I'm certain that the answer will be that it was a natural process that didn't involved the work of supernatural beings.

Old 01-23-2009, 10:11 AM

124 posts, read 321,784 times
Quote:
I can see where you might get that, but what religion are you speaking of.

For me it is all of them.

Old 01-23-2009, 10:17 AM

124 posts, read 321,784 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MontanaGuy View Post
As far as the origins of life are concerned, evolution is a scientific fact, so we can explain how life evolved over millions of years from single celled life to complex life. We don't yet understand the process of how non living material turned into single celled life but as we learn more about it I'm certain that the answer will be that it was a natural process that didn't involved the work of supernatural beings.

Evolution does not say anything about the origin of life, only how it evolved. The study of the origin of life is abiogenesis.

Old 01-23-2009, 10:24 AM

5,993 posts, read 3,732,293 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuSuSushi View Post
Well, also I think that people who choose to believe in a religion have some sort of mental block in that they are uncomfortable with the answer "We don't know". This is where their god comes in, because he's the handy dandy answer to it all...if you don't know, then god must have done it. If something terrible happens, well...it must have been god's will, rather than just chance.

Atheists as a whole (I believe) are quite comfortable with admitting that as humans, we don't know Moderator cut: edit about the universe. I think most of us find it kind of cool, too, because that means there's always something new to be discovered and learned.

We don't need the crutch of thinking that there's some higher power always watching over our every move and who is directing our destiny. No...we make our own destiny, and I like it that way.
Agreed.

Last edited by june 7th; 01-23-2009 at 04:28 PM..

Old 01-23-2009, 10:24 AM

7,915 posts, read 18,620,342 times
jroyals wrote:
Quote:
Evolution does not say anything about the origin of life, only how it evolved. The study of the origin of life is abiogenesis.
I know that. It's something I've been interested in all of my life.

Old 01-23-2009, 10:30 AM

473 posts, read 714,608 times
can i ask - i thought i knew the difference between an atheist and an agnostic, but now i am not sure.
could you clarify that for me?

(and just for clarification i am not bound to any particular religion- i believe in learning and someday i may figure it all out

Old 01-23-2009, 10:33 AM

16,806 posts, read 39,934,099 times
Quote:
I am a christian, but I want to know what atheism is and why it is believe, in other words what proof there is to back it up.
Science.

Quote:
So how do you think the world got here and for that matter, how did you get here.
Science is constantly working on that, and except for the all encompassing question of "what was the beginning and when was it?", science has pretty much filled in most of the blanks. In the meanwhile, as we await more answers, we atheists don't feel the need to fill in those blanks with fairy tales and made up rulers in the sky. Science is our god, and we're content with the knowledge that not all things are answerable at once.

Old 01-23-2009, 10:38 AM

3,032 posts, read 8,918,999 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mommax3plus2 View Post
can i ask - i thought i knew the difference between an atheist and an agnostic, but now i am not sure.

(and just for clarification i am not bound to any particular religion- i believe in learning and someday i may figure it all out
Mmm well an agnostic may think that there's some sort of higher power but that even if its existence is proven that there's no way we could comprehend it, and in any case it wouldn't be concerned with humans.

Or...they could also just be on the fence, saying there's not enough evidence to choose either way and that their decision is suspended until further information is presented.

You could most describe them as saying "I don't know if a deity exists or not but even if they do we can't grok it..."

Whereas atheists simply disbelieve that any sort of deity or higher power exists.

Old 01-23-2009, 10:49 AM

1,384 posts, read 2,346,052 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mommax3plus2 View Post

I'm sorry...I'm sure my explanation was overly simplified and others here can probably explain the differences better than me. Different atheists and agnostics probably have a different interpretation of what atheism/agnosticism(?) mean to them. My personal understanding is that an atheist believes there is no god until proven otherwise. An agnostic believes that we don't know or can't ever know if there is a god. I personally don't believe we can't ever know but I do believe that religion as we know it is purely man-made and most likely inaccurate. Hope this helps
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism