U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-23-2009, 09:35 AM

500 posts, read 579,262 times
Default Atheism?

I am a christian, but I want to know what atheism is and why it is believe, in other words what proof there is to back it up.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-23-2009, 09:37 AM

3,031 posts, read 5,480,298 times
As an atheist, I don't believe in the existence of any gods or in the supernatural -- things like angels and demons and ghosts, et cetera. The reason I believe this way is the utter lack of evidence to the contrary. As far as proof, the burden is not on the atheist to prove that there are no gods, but rather on the believers to offer us evidence that they do exist.

Old 01-23-2009, 09:39 AM

1,362 posts, read 3,047,254 times
It's more about the lack of proof for a god and the mind numbing, un-thinking, fear driven slave mentality of diety belief and the irreconcilables religion has with reality.

Old 01-23-2009, 09:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuSuSushi View Post
As an atheist, I don't believe in the existence of any gods or in the supernatural -- things like angels and demons and ghosts, et cetera. The reason I believe this way is the utter lack of evidence to the contrary. As far as proof, the burden is not on the atheist to prove that there are no gods, but rather on the believers to offer us evidence that they do exist.

So how do you think the world got here and for that matter, how did you get here.

Old 01-23-2009, 09:42 AM

7,917 posts, read 11,246,873 times
Atheism is the lack of a belief, it's not a belief itself. I'm an atheist because the claims that religion makes are not realistic or believable and appear to me to be obviously from the imaginations of human beings.

Old 01-23-2009, 09:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DTO Luv View Post
It's more about the lack of proof for a god and the mind numbing, un-thinking, fear driven slave mentality of diety belief and the irreconcilables religion has with reality.

So for you its more about having to answer to someone

Old 01-23-2009, 09:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MontanaGuy View Post
Atheism is the lack of a belief, it's not a belief itself. I'm an atheist because the claims that religion makes are not realistic or believable and appear to me to be obviously from the imaginations of human beings.
I can see where you might get that, but what religion are you speaking of.

Old 01-23-2009, 09:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by g-vegas View Post
So how do you think the world got here and for that matter, how did you get here.
We don't know and don't really see the point it has in how we live our lives. Somethings we'll never know so why bother.

Old 01-23-2009, 09:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by g-vegas View Post
So for you its more about having to answer to someone

I guess you could say that. I was super fundi wacko Christian for years and christianity has had the most devastating affect on my life more than anything. Once I started to really question what I believed and gained new perspectives on things, I realized religions are BS. There is no god/gods and living our lives in subjegation to an intense collective delusion is not how I wan't to live and I hope other see it for themselves one day.

Old 01-23-2009, 09:54 AM

521 posts, read 553,069 times
I am atheist for many of the same reasons that have all ready been expressed here. Humanity has invented hundreds upon hundreds of gods, and each just as unproven as the next. Until there is some cold hard undeniable evidence of a deity’s existence i will continue to be atheist.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism