Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-13-2009, 01:16 PM

4,511 posts, read 7,518,757 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zaptruder View Post
Transcedentalism?

Hah. More like someone's figured out how to tap their dopamine supply through thought alone.
have you been appropriately welcomed to this forum as yet?

someone just might do it right now.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-13-2009, 04:23 PM

49 posts, read 61,237 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zaptruder View Post
Transcedentalism?

Hah. More like someone's figured out how to tap their dopamine supply through thought alone.
You might want to learn how to spell the word, before lending expertise on the subject

Old 05-20-2009, 09:55 PM

49 posts, read 61,237 times
Hi Bluefly, I would like to share some experiences with you, off the forum.
Regards,
ole meph

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluefly View Post
I suspect our developed civilization is on the brink of understanding scientifically what such indigenous cultures have understood since time immemorial spiritually: the power of the energy that binds all of life to create extraordinary results.

I would differ on the above assertion that people necessarily "will" things to happen. I have simply opened myself to allow whatever reality might be out there and have had many things happen to me that had nothing to do with my desires or wishes.

Old 04-04-2012, 01:46 PM

1 posts, read 656 times
It seems to me that the idea of these other worldly realms and modes of healing have more to do with psychological desperation, willingness, and acceptance having either an effect or none at all on the biological attributes.

As for love - this is a mere umbrella term of which the definition varies from person to person; it, of course, may represent feelings of compassion, longing, dependence, companionship, sexual attraction, so on and so on and so on. Love does not exist at all - that is where Plato was mistaken with his Absolutes. To displace his theories on justice, beauty, and love we simply only have to assert that these abstract concepts do not truly exist because of their abstraction.

It may be a far stretch, but to wrap this up neatly - could it be that we could say faith of this sort - and any other for that matter - is merely an umbrella term for psychological desperation, willingness, and acceptance?

Old 04-04-2012, 01:49 PM

61,288 posts, read 87,395,538 times
one of 2 things is true. the world is governed by luck or the world is governed by spiritual/mental principles. the fact that a group of people gathered for a "spiritual discussion" aka to discuss something they solemnly affirm does not in any way exist, is an oxymoron. your post does not in any way delve into the title of your post so i did not address it.

Old 04-11-2012, 01:49 AM

3,636 posts, read 3,424,247 times
If you think you have powers that you can not explain then simply present yourself to a group of scientists for study and demonstrate exactly what you can do to them so they can document and test it.

What people like James Randi have found is that there is no shortage in the world of people claiming to have extraordiary abilities. There is a shortage though of those that can say exactly what they can do - and under what conditions - and then actually demonstrate it.

Old 04-11-2012, 08:21 AM

7,801 posts, read 6,371,160 times
Hearing voices and the like is often indicitive of underlying conditions, mental, physical or both. I would heartily recommend you refer this person to evaluation from some professionals in psychiatric help from both mental and physical disciplines. Try starting with your GP and from there follow up any recommendations you can. Best too is to try and get second or third opinions on everything too.

Alas the discourse of mediums and woo have normalised such things to the point some people hearing voices are taught that it could be angels or god or dead loved ones returning and more. This means that they ignore the medical implications of their condition and even start lending credence and... worse... sometimes even authority to the voices they are hearing. I think I have heard enough "The voices made me do it" type stories in my time to state the obvious of why that is not a desirable outcome.

What there absolutely is not, at this point, to my knowledge is even a single shred of argument, evidence, data or reasons to lend even a modicum of credibility to the idea there is some supernatural explanation for such experiences.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism