Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-08-2009, 06:50 AM

16,806 posts, read 39,794,847 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by hkgal View Post

Are you open about your atheism?
Very much so.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hkgal View Post

Why or why not?
I find it a handy thing to mention when someone decides to direct their proselytize cannon at me, and when someone who is brand new to the internet and email starts bombarding me with the same religious crapola I've been seeing for many years.

Or when someone asks me if I want to go to church with them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-11-2009, 12:10 PM

288 posts, read 916,469 times
Quote:
Are you open about your atheism? Why or why not?
All of my friends and family know I'm atheist. My family is traditionally Buddhist, but has never been religious.

I'm quite open about my lack of religious beliefs, but I'm almost never asked about my [lack of] faith -- even while growing up in the Bible Belt.

Old 02-11-2009, 07:37 PM

690 posts, read 2,103,249 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by neutrino View Post
All of my friends and family know I'm atheist. My family is traditionally Buddhist, but has never been religious.

I'm quite open about my lack of religious beliefs, but I'm almost never asked about my [lack of] faith -- even while growing up in the Bible Belt.
Me either. Most people assume that I'm a Baptist or something similar, since that's what most people are around here.

Old 02-17-2009, 06:20 AM

1,577 posts, read 3,691,364 times
Its no one's business so I keep it to myself. If pressed I'll tell em, but it rarely comes up. Most of the time I make it clear the religion isn't a topic I'm going to discuss as its too touchy, so it never comes up.

I usually just play along with other's comments and try to change topics if I can.

Old 02-19-2009, 01:55 PM

857 posts, read 1,417,869 times
i think we all need to be a little more open about our beliefs. and I see a lot of people say they do not deny it but do not flaunt it either (im in the same boat)... maybe we should. I think if people could identify that others around them were also athiest/agnostic they would become more open about it too. I believe a lot more people are athiest/agnostic than most people think, we just do not show it. they have the jesus fish, maybe we should make an athiest equivalent... snake maybe?

Old 02-19-2009, 05:15 PM

8,998 posts, read 14,745,295 times
If it comes up in conversation, I don't mind saying I'm an atheist.

Old 02-22-2009, 03:45 PM

16,294 posts, read 28,436,651 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by renter8319 View Post
i'm open if asked, but i don't flaunt it. i also expect that people won't flaunt there religious beliefs to me.
I agree, and that is my philosophy also, unlike many so called christians that wear a cross the size of a Buick in their 'in your face' I'm a christian boasting.

Old 02-22-2009, 03:47 PM

16,294 posts, read 28,436,651 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LiveTodayLez08 View Post
If it comes up in conversation, I don't mind saying I'm an atheist.
If it is someone you really don't care about, and you want to have some fun, tell them you are a "god fearing atheist". The look you get is often priceless or it is completely over their head.

Old 02-22-2009, 05:16 PM

7 posts, read 9,402 times
I agree with you all--I have never hid my being atheist, but also do not flaunt it. Still, when I mention it to people once in awhile, I get that "look"--either like I am a freak, or am a brave soul for admiting it.

Old 02-22-2009, 06:46 PM

81 posts, read 143,998 times
I am agnostic and try to be open with certain people. I think the majority of my friends know I am agnostic, however I could never tell my immediate family (save one person possibly) about my friends, since they are all devoutly Catholic. My mom would probably disown me if I told her, to be honest. I think it's an unfortunate situation, that I can't tell my own mother my beliefs because she's so intolerant. She'd probably be more accepting of me if I told her that I was homosexual (which I'm not, but do not have any problem if you are).
I don't run around professing that I am agnostic, because I don't think it's relevant that I am in most everyday situations. I think we should have some patience with those that choose to share their religion (and also let them know when it's reached the point of annoyance) with others. I'll listen to anyone who wants to tell me about their views (however drastically they clash with mine).
Based on my experiences, I would say the biggest problem with the world is intolerance, in any form (but namely religious intolerance). No matter how annoying or intolerant another person may be, in order to achieve true religious freedom, we should all take the step to be more tolerant in our own lives.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism