U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-31-2010, 04:38 PM

7,483 posts, read 8,522,442 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjohnson4381 View Post
I was watching Jon Stewart the other night, and they were speculating what order different minorities would make it to the White House. I think that they decided next it would be a woman, then a Hispanic, then everything else, then an atheist. I'm kind of happy they're at least talking about that stuff, but at the same time, I'm wondering why atheists are dead last? Why does everybody assume that a person has to be a Christian to be a good, competent person?
Because there are too many morons who still think morals come from a belief in God and that if you don't believe in God, you must not be a moral person. We also have too many idiots who still think this is Christian country, which is why it'll be a long, LONG time before you see a non-Christian President.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-02-2010, 04:41 AM

8,146 posts, read 3,973,241 times
agree with you, DennyCrane

Old 04-02-2010, 06:59 AM

2,108 posts, read 1,421,118 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cncracer View Post
We need to be careful boasting about this as the religious right wants to claim that title also. Most hated, abused, and looked down on must hold some value we don't quite see. If we start claiming the title they will likely start a religious war to win the disapproval of the masses.
Matthew 5:11 says, "Blessed are ye, when men shall revile you, and persecute you, and shall say all manner of evil against you falsely, for my sake".

It is a blessing to them to be persecuted because of their belief in Christ. That is why some claim that they are the "most hated, abused, etc".

It is also what we psychologists call "victim stance", in which people try to manipulate the emotions of others to feel pity and sympathize with them.

I think one reason why atheists are so feared is due to cognitive dissonance. Those believers who are comfortably confident in their beliefs probably do not have strong emotions towards us. But, those who at some level feel like their beliefs are on shaky foundation, but are determined to believe anyway, would be more threatened by our existence.

It is similar to getting into an argument with a stubborn person who simply will not admit that they are wrong. They entrench themselves that much more firmly in their position and get quite angry that you dare think differently about the subject. Insecurities breed hate, fear and contempt. When one is truly secure in your beliefs, there is no need to get so emotionally wrapped up in it or the opposition of those beliefs.

We, atheists, are only feared and hated by those who are insecure. And there must be a lot of insecure believers in America for atheists to be ranked dead last in people Americans would want to see as president.

Old 04-02-2010, 09:47 AM

9,621 posts, read 7,019,331 times
Default "I solemnly swear to uphold the Constitution of The United States, So Help Me God..."

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Gringo View Post
We atheists are small fish existing in a large sea of believers. Believers who would like to see us swallowed by sharks.
Dang, OG; you've done it now. You've "fessed up". Now you're on a list!

(PS: do you know how to rack a Rem 870 with "OO" onboard? You may need it now!!).

The regimented and well-orchestrated hatred of atheists is in keeping with the standardized response towards disbelievers. The Creed: Never let 'em gain any credibility!

Actually, it's hard to believe that such ethical luminaries as Bill Clinton or Nixon were ever devout and practicing Christians. Or Hillary for that matter, should she ever slink in to the WH. Legally I mean. But early in their new presidencies, they all pick out, to patriotic musical strains, a local DC church to attend, and then they show up on necessary dogmo-days to solemnly bow their heads. I wonder what they're actually thinking right then....

Why? Well... because they all know how they'd fare with the voters if they outed themselves as either Christians of Convenience or outright atheists.

Remember now: "W-yah" announced that He was in Iraq at God's insistence. To slay the heathen hordes no doubt. (To be quite fair, GWB is a true Christian believer. He has the moral high ground as far as that goes, and is definitely not a religious faker.)

But I"d say we've actually had several atheist presidents so far. Those guys did not consult the iconic Gods in their decisions.

Old 04-02-2010, 12:05 PM

241 posts, read 148,491 times
I can see it happening in about 20 years. Gen x and younger generations are not as uptight about religious beliefs as their parents are, and even if they are religious, more and more are not going to church. Also, younger people have grown up seeing religion mixed with politics and more and more people don't like it...this is my opinion only, of course . I just think things will change, albeit slowly.

Old 04-02-2010, 12:08 PM

516 posts, read 838,688 times
As a Christian, I would rather have an Atheist president than a fake Christian president.

Old 04-02-2010, 12:16 PM

516 posts, read 838,688 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjohnson4381 View Post
Maybe I'm narrow-minded, but I honestly don't see how any highly-educated person could be a Christian. From what I can tell, Christianity is all about doing what you're told without asking any questions. You have to believe with no evidence and vague explanations. And if you ask questions, you're gonna burn. Sounds like life under a dictatorship to me.

That just shows a misunderstanding of the Gospel...

Old 04-02-2010, 04:19 PM

7,483 posts, read 8,522,442 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mamaecho View Post
As a Christian, I would rather have an Atheist president than a fake Christian president.
Most politicians just pretend to be Christian in order to get elected. Can you imagine if someone like Thomas Jefferson were alive today? There's no way he would get elected.

Old 04-02-2010, 10:55 PM

2,756 posts, read 3,313,060 times
There's no doubt in mymind that we'll see an atheist president within 20 years or so, possibly sooner. The mindset and the tolerance of the American public can change very quickly, usually due to events that transpire during the former president's administration. A lot of time, you see a POTUS elected merely as a sort of "protest vote." For example, Jimmy Carter would never have had a snowball's chance in hell od becoming prez if it weren't for the shenanigans of Nixon. Face it: No Watergate, No Peanut Farmer in the White House. Andby the sam token (no pun intended): No George W tyranny and lies, no Obama. Therefore, in my opinion, all it will take is for one fundamentlaist holy roller president, like, say, a Huckabee or even a Romney, to pull some stunt like getting us into a holy war or trying to erase the church-and-state seperation laws, and Voila! Ya got yourself an Atheist President for the next term!
Hey, don't laugh. Look at it this way: what would you have thought if, the day after 9-11, someone told you that your next president would be a black man named Hussain Obama?

Old 04-03-2010, 02:19 PM

11,805 posts, read 14,353,590 times
It won't happen within 20 years. The organized religions are too entrenched for that to happen. Don't kid yourself. There are plenty of young theists. George W got us into a war in Iraq, the only secular Middle Eastern country, and that didn't change the religious landscape at all except to dial up the anti-Muslim, pro-Christian sentiment in this country (and radicalize Iraq).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism