Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-05-2010, 01:07 PM

7,084 posts, read 14,856,623 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZugZub View Post
Because most people wrongly equate religion with morality. They think that if you are an atheist, that you're just one smidgen away from being a baby-raping cannibalistic axe murderer.
Hey Now!!!!! and just what, prey tell, is wrong with Cannibalism? It could well be a viable answer to an overpopulation problem.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-05-2010, 02:07 PM

51 posts, read 122,331 times
Default I would call that 'unreal' expectations and write a book on it

Quote:
Originally Posted by MontanaGuy View Post
I wonder how an atheist of mixed black and asian race who'd recently undergone a sex change from a man to a woman would fare in an American election.

if he/she/s-he made it to the election stage that is.

Old 04-05-2010, 04:14 PM

1,969 posts, read 6,390,135 times
I'm sure there have been numerous personally agnostic presidents, and possible several personal atheists, but you cannot say such things and get elected. Numerous presidents had no formal religious affliliation (most famously Jefferson and Lincoln). Taft said "I do not believe in the divinity of Christ." So we clearly have had many confirmed non-christians as president already. Now it is somewhat of a Litmus test, but almost a completeley hollow one.

Old 04-15-2010, 08:55 AM

138 posts, read 173,010 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tesaje View Post
Jon Stewart isn't exactly a pious person. He skewers the religious sensibilities of this country all the time. It is called satire. His satirical point is that this country is so prejudiced against atheists, and is so over the top in its religiosity, the atheists are the most reviled minority - in a long list of reviled minorities.

great answer. This is the country with "In God we trust" on our currency yet is proud of the supposed seperation of church and state.

Old 04-17-2010, 11:45 PM

11,798 posts, read 25,179,640 times
Many people in this country are not in favor of church-state separation, unfortunately.

Old 04-22-2010, 10:07 AM

857 posts, read 1,422,153 times
If the non religious are to ever gain a political foothold in America they need to stop calling themselves atheist or agnostic, these are anti terms and make the religious feel like we are against them. Humanist is a better term, focus on what we believe are the good inharent in people, and allow that to represent our political beliefs. Atheists are viewed as immoral people, which anyone familiar with atheism knows is not the case. A humanist has a better image and is much more acceptable in a politcal environment. Just take religion out of the equation all together, I believe in the betterment of mankind through peace democracy and education, there is no need to talk about religion unless religion tries to hinder any political goal.

I have not done any research but I was surprised to find there are groups all over the world that follow this idea and follow humanist groups.

American Humanist Association

Old 04-24-2010, 07:38 PM

690 posts, read 2,107,744 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Gringo View Post
Wonder no more...

We atheists are the most despised subgroup in America.

Austin Cline from about.com writes, “Every single study that has ever looked at the issue has revealed massive amounts of bigotry and prejudice against atheists in America. The most recent data shows that atheists are more distrusted and despised than any other minority and that an atheist is the least likely person that Americans would vote for in a presidential election. It’s not just that atheists are hated, though, but also that atheists seem to represent everything about modernity which Americans dislike or fear.

Research Finds that Atheists are Most Hated and Distrusted Minority | NEWS JUNKIE POST

We atheists are small fish existing in a large sea of believers. Believers who would like to see us swallowed by sharks.
Hah...maybe we should take it as a compliment. We're so cutting-edge and different that people are scared of us. And, even though atheists have been around forever, it takes a little bravery to admit that you are one. On the other hand, you usually don't have to admit to being black or a woman. That's generally pretty obvious.

Old 04-24-2010, 07:47 PM

[quote=mrmikeman;13533091]
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjohnson4381 View Post
I was watching Jon Stewart the other night, and they were speculating what order different minorities would make it to the White House. I think that they decided next it would be a woman, then a Hispanic, then everything else, then an atheist. I'm kind of happy they're at least talking about that stuff, but at the same time, I'm wondering why atheists are dead last? Why does everybody assume that a person has to be a Christian to be a good, competent person?[/quote]
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjohnson4381 View Post

I think its because of a misguided belief; the belief that an Atheist person doesn’t consult to a higher power so their choices and beliefs lie only in that person (mortal) inner judgment and not from a divine wisdom.
In my opinion, it’s a sad undermining of human capabilities.

The Religious Beliefs Of Our Presidents
Yeah, its sad to think that a lot of people don't believe that people can be good just for the sake of being good.

"Jefferson and Lincoln did not claim membership in any Church." That's good to know. I'm really not all that surprised, though.

Old 04-24-2010, 07:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dusty Rhodes View Post
Hey Now!!!!! and just what, prey tell, is wrong with Cannibalism? It could well be a viable answer to an overpopulation problem.
I actually heard that women are having fewer kids now and the population is leveling out. John Pearce wrote a book about it. I haven't read it, though. I just saw some interview.

Old 04-24-2010, 08:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ulnevrwalkalone View Post
If the non religious are to ever gain a political foothold in America they need to stop calling themselves atheist or agnostic, these are anti terms and make the religious feel like we are against them. Humanist is a better term, focus on what we believe are the good inharent in people, and allow that to represent our political beliefs. Atheists are viewed as immoral people, which anyone familiar with atheism knows is not the case. A humanist has a better image and is much more acceptable in a politcal environment. Just take religion out of the equation all together, I believe in the betterment of mankind through peace democracy and education, there is no need to talk about religion unless religion tries to hinder any political goal.

I have not done any research but I was surprised to find there are groups all over the world that follow this idea and follow humanist groups.

American Humanist Association
Interesting! Maybe the word "atheist" itself is what's really dragging us down. I'll have to do some research on these "humanist" groups.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism