Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-06-2009, 04:27 PM

7,915 posts, read 18,582,570 times

Advertisements

As far as signs along highways are concerned I think that all of them are an eyesore and potentially distracting enough to drivers to cause an accident. In Panama, of all places, out by the airport in Panama City they have a number of high tech signs with brightly lit video images which is downright dangerous. If it were up to me I would only allow signs for emergency situations like missing children. I don't see that as a violation of free speech anymore than restricting the use of a cell phone while driving.
Anyway, we've really veered away from the topic so let me add my two cents worth. I do believe that eventually religion will be left behind but I think it will vary a great deal from one culture to the next. In very religious nations like America I think it will take at least a century or maybe even longer. I've said many times that people tend to hold their religious beliefs for their entire lives so it becomes a generational thing and the younger generations are generally less religious than their parents but if you have a young person today who's twenty years old for example they'll probably live another sixty years and their children may or may not believe the same things that they do. I don't see it going away anytime soon and I also think they have every right to hold religious beliefs because I believe in the complete freedom of thought which includes religious beliefs.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-06-2009, 05:06 PM

2,657 posts, read 8,010,274 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alpha8207 View Post
At any rate, saying they are 'everywhere' or 'plastered' down the roads is a gross misrepresentation.
Since you mentioned NC in a previous post, this NCer disputes that.

In municipalities where there are ordinances - Cary, Charlotte - there is a lack of those kinds of signs. Get out in the state, especially the rural areas which actually comprise most of the land cover, and you do see them. Quite frequently, in fact. I say this as a motorcyclist who does a lot of back road riding. In fact, they become a bit of an area marker for me and one that I use to direct other riders: "just go down Moses Church Road and look for that crazy wayside that usually says something like 'REPENT FOR THE LORD IS NEER' (actual misspelling) and in small letters beneath 'Ladies Auxiliary Pancake Breakfast and Koffee Klatch. 8am Saturday Morning' ".

If you aren't seeing them, it's probably because you are staying in the city areas.

Old 03-07-2009, 10:32 AM

4,348 posts, read 7,336,717 times
Here is my last post on signs. I would have posted these pictures, but thought some might not want to see them or see the humor in them. So I put them in a public album for cncracer. They are not the bill board signs, which is good because I am sure the uncontrolled laughing would be a traffic hazard at 70 MPH on the interstate.
You may need a warped sense of humor like mine to see some of the humor, but some just brings you to your knees laughing.

Old 03-07-2009, 10:47 AM

1,385 posts, read 2,447,270 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cncracer View Post
Here is my last post on signs. I would have posted these pictures, but thought some might not want to see them or see the humor in them. So I put them in a public album for cncracer. They are not the bill board signs, which is good because I am sure the uncontrolled laughing would be a traffic hazard at 70 MPH on the interstate.
You may need a warped sense of humor like mine to see some of the humor, but some just brings you to your knees laughing.
Thanks for sharing! I can see why you did not post them. I must also have a warped sense of humor. They were very funny. And I liked the tongue ones best.

Old 03-09-2009, 09:33 AM

7,784 posts, read 14,852,292 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by silverwing View Post
Since you mentioned NC in a previous post, this NCer disputes that.

In municipalities where there are ordinances - Cary, Charlotte - there is a lack of those kinds of signs. Get out in the state, especially the rural areas which actually comprise most of the land cover, and you do see them. Quite frequently, in fact. I say this as a motorcyclist who does a lot of back road riding. In fact, they become a bit of an area marker for me and one that I use to direct other riders: "just go down Moses Church Road and look for that crazy wayside that usually says something like 'REPENT FOR THE LORD IS NEER' (actual misspelling) and in small letters beneath 'Ladies Auxiliary Pancake Breakfast and Koffee Klatch. 8am Saturday Morning' ".

If you aren't seeing them, it's probably because you are staying in the city areas.
I live in a town of about 1200 people about 30 miles east of Charlotte.

I spend about as much time in cities as Andy Griffith did.

Old 03-09-2009, 09:34 AM

7,784 posts, read 14,852,292 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cncracer View Post
Whatever man.

If you're going to misrepresent, please respect our intellect enough to remove the 'churchsigngenerator.com' logo.

Thanks!

Old 03-09-2009, 09:45 AM

1,577 posts, read 3,691,364 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alpha8207 View Post
Whatever man.

If you're going to misrepresent, please respect our intellect enough to remove the 'churchsigngenerator.com' logo.

Thanks!
I have to admit, a little cropping would have made it more beleivable.

Old 03-09-2009, 10:40 AM

12,169 posts, read 17,596,878 times
I'm hoping the one silver lining in this poor economy is these mega churches going belly up. People have less money to tithe. Less missions to encourage procreation in starving third world countries.

Old 03-09-2009, 10:45 AM

3,032 posts, read 8,900,821 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zonababe View Post
I'm hoping the one silver lining in this poor economy is these mega churches going belly up. People have less money to tithe. Less missions to encourage procreation in starving third world countries.
True. But I'd settle for being treated as equals, not only in the outside world but here on these forums.

Old 03-09-2009, 01:50 PM

3,517 posts, read 13,233,914 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zonababe View Post
I wouldn't count on that happening. Some of them have been caught getting foolish people to give them all their savings and a large proportion of their social security checks. That sort of scamming isn;t going to go away because the economy is bad.

To be fair, some churches tighten their belts and ask the poor in their congregations to not give their meager funds. Whether I agree with their stuff or not, not all are scammers. But some really are.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism