U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 03-05-2009, 04:20 PM
 
Location: Maryland
3,540 posts, read 4,288,934 times
Reputation: 943

Advertisements

It is truely not my intention to offend anyone.
But I may just offend both Christians and atheists with this analogy.
(I'm trying to speak atheist here)

Imagine that over the millenia groups of different people either saw or heard an alien from outerspace. And over the millenia many similar stories imerged that seemed to agree with one another, and started to make sense to those who had seen, or heard the alien. Eventually all of these stories that seemed consistent with the story blended together into one volume of stories that had been told or written over the millenia.

Some people that never heard or saw the "alien" would never believe it ever existed without seeing it.

Some would believe in it because they trusted the book.

And some who had actually seen or heard the alien, if even once, would read the book with wonder and amazement.


Sincerely,

One large foot in mouth
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 03-05-2009, 04:45 PM
 
542 posts, read 944,729 times
Reputation: 157
Quote:
Originally Posted by cncracer View Post
If you believe in the Bible as truth and not myth, taking all it says as the literal truth, than you have to accept it on blind faith. Logic could not come into play in many areas. Here a few of the outstanding examples. There is no physical way a snake could form sounds other than a hiss much less talk. There is no way a person could live in the belly of a fish (Whale) for three days. There is no way the earth is only 6000 years old. There is no way a woman was made from the rib if a man. There is no way a virgin primate gives birth. I think I could continue, but you have heard them all before and know the only way an educated person could accept it is to close their eyes to reality and take a blind faith leap.
I am not one of those blind faith people so logic rules in my house.
i'm an atheist and i generally agree. i just found a flaw in your argument. a virgin can get pregnant through science. ex. sperm donations. just my 2 cents
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-05-2009, 04:48 PM
 
542 posts, read 944,729 times
Reputation: 157
Quote:
Originally Posted by oakback View Post
it is truely not my intention to offend anyone.
But i may just offend both christians and atheists with this analogy.
(i'm trying to speak atheist here)

Imagine that over the millenia groups of different people either saw or heard an alien from outerspace. And over the millenia many similar stories imerged that seemed to agree with one another, and started to make sense to those who had seen, or heard the alien. Eventually all of these stories that seemed consistent with the story blended together into one volume of stories that had been told or written over the millenia.

Some people that never heard or saw the "alien" would never believe it ever existed without seeing it.

Some would believe in it because they trusted the book.

And some who had actually seen or heard the alien, if even once, would read the book with wonder and amazement.


Sincerely,

one large foot in mouth
scientology? :d

Last edited by renter8319; 03-05-2009 at 04:50 PM.. Reason: MY FACE DIDN'T SHOW UP AFTER MY QUOTE
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-05-2009, 04:55 PM
 
Location: Earth
3,797 posts, read 4,341,363 times
Reputation: 2494
I agree regular christians are very easy to be around, it's the extreme ones that are not just illogical, but potentially very dangerous to society.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-05-2009, 05:06 PM
 
Location: Western Cary, NC
4,349 posts, read 4,570,736 times
Reputation: 7221
Quote:
Originally Posted by GCSTroop View Post
Hey cncracer,

I have a quick question. In order to be militant is it required to do all of the things you listed or can militant actions be perceived through other methodologies?
Troop, I am sure I just touched the tip of what could be seen as militant for any group. I know of no rules which would require some actions while allowing other to slide in order to be a card carrying militant. I just listed the few that crossed my mind while I was at the office and suppose to be working, but had slipped on CD to address my posting addiction problem.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-05-2009, 05:12 PM
 
4,512 posts, read 4,707,811 times
Reputation: 792
hey op, hearing logic or whatever is "natural" to the varying "degrees" of our habits and conditioning, listening has to be learned, and the conditions for such learning appear austere, to say the least.

2 u.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-05-2009, 05:16 PM
 
Location: In the North Idaho woods, still surrounded by terriers
2,178 posts, read 4,569,657 times
Reputation: 909
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oakback View Post
It is truely not my intention to offend anyone.
But I may just offend both Christians and atheists with this analogy.
(I'm trying to speak atheist here)

Imagine that over the millenia groups of different people either saw or heard an alien from outerspace. And over the millenia many similar stories imerged that seemed to agree with one another, and started to make sense to those who had seen, or heard the alien. Eventually all of these stories that seemed consistent with the story blended together into one volume of stories that had been told or written over the millenia.

Some people that never heard or saw the "alien" would never believe it ever existed without seeing it.

Some would believe in it because they trusted the book.

And some who had actually seen or heard the alien, if even once, would read the book with wonder and amazement.


Sincerely,

One large foot in mouth

Actually this is sort of what many of we non-Christians do believe...not in aliens, but the fact that many, many of the Biblical stories, recounts, etc were told & believed by other religions thousands of years before the New testament was conceived. I, (maybe "we"), tend to think that much of the Bible is the re-telling of many ancient stories from ancient civilizations, brought forth and tweaked to fit the time the Biblical books were written.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-05-2009, 05:18 PM
 
Location: Maryland
3,540 posts, read 4,288,934 times
Reputation: 943
Quote:
Originally Posted by renter8319 View Post
scientology? :d


the only "witness" for thetans I'm aware of,
is good ole LH
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-05-2009, 05:19 PM
 
Location: Maryland
3,540 posts, read 4,288,934 times
Reputation: 943
Quote:
Originally Posted by esselcue View Post
Actually this is sort of what many of we non-Christians do believe...not in aliens, but the fact that many, many of the Biblical stories, recounts, etc were told & believed by other religions thousands of years before the New testament was conceived. I, (maybe "we"), tend to think that much of the Bible is the re-telling of many ancient stories from ancient civilizations, brought forth and tweaked to fit the time the Biblical books were written.
I think alot of Jews would take issue with this.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-05-2009, 05:21 PM
 
Location: United States
2,497 posts, read 4,194,186 times
Reputation: 2128
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackyfrost01 View Post
Christians don't like hearing something that makes sense do they? Regardless of how much sense your making.

They just clam up and act like they didn't hear it.

Is that just being stubborn? Brainwashed?

I mean for me, if something is pointed out without a doubt, I tend to pay attention. I mean if your wrong or it doesn't make sense, then it just doesn't.

How do these people think that makes them so inflexible?
Brainwashed, you said it. Denial plays a large part of it as well. Another big role in it has to do with them being "taught" the religion and being taught that their way is the only way, that those who don't think their way are lesser beings. It's like a poison that cripples their logic and paralyzes our natural right to free thought. Tradition is not always a good thing. Sometimes tradition acts as a brick wall to progress.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism
Similar Threads

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 03:03 PM.

© 2005-2014, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25 - Top