U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 05-09-2009, 02:45 AM

3,108 posts, read 4,969,869 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by esselcue View Post
Many of my friends and family are religious but there are no Fundamentalists in the mix, as far as I can tell. Religion is never discussed, really. I am not Christian, but I am not an atheist either...I am...something in between.

I'm pretty much like you somewhere in between. I lean towards more Agnostic Theist side.
Quick reply to this message

Old 05-09-2009, 04:19 AM

327 posts, read 506,776 times
I have religious friends, but really, most of them are no problem. Most of the younger Christians/spiritual people I know don't really care if I'm a believer or not.

I sometimes wonder exactly what some of these younger Christians believe in. I have one friend who's, I think, 24. He always talks to me about his faith in Jesus, but at the same time lives with his girlfriend, usually gets drunk once or twice a week, does mild drugs (weed) and can't complete a sentence at times without one or two four-letter words

Family and older people are a different story completely when it comes to caring what I believe in. They're ready for a holy war, or better, god to rapture them up to heaven away from us heathens.

Old 05-09-2009, 06:07 AM

1,121 posts, read 2,137,219 times
If you are a true friend, you must be a good listener as well as a talker. You must not judge your friends for their beliefs. Why? Because there is no proof that one of you is right and one of you is wrong. If you are arguing that 1 + 1 = 2 you could fight to the death ( although, as an accountant, I've found that I can make one and one equal anything you want it to, lol)
Your friends are your friends because of the things you have in common. My best friend and I met when I was 10 and a new student in school. She was the room monitor so got sent down to the office to get me. By the time we walked down the hall, up the stairs, and to the classroom, we were best friends and have been ever since. In 2010 it will be 50 years! As adults we actually have very little in common. I'm intellectual, she is an artist, I'm shy and retiring, she is an extrovert. Many years ago we agreed that we wanted to always be friends so we learned to respect each others opinions and each overlooked the things that we didn't like about the other person.
We live in different states now and have only seen each other about 12 times in the last 18 years, but we talk regularly on the phone.
I couldn't ever ask for a better best friend. She is like a mother, sister, aunt and playmate to me. I am greatful to have her and I know she feels the same way.
Don't let your feelings about religion and politics or anything else ever kill your friendships. You never know when your life and the example you set may change others to your way of thinking. Don't ever feel uncomfortable about listening to others. Anything that is true, will ultimately stand up on its own.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism