U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-17-2009, 10:44 PM

339 posts, read 1,128,752 times

Advertisements

I was wondering if other's had any thoughts on this question?

I posted it on the AA forum because I want responses from a philosophical standpoint rather than a biblical one.

I wondered about it after studying a world religions paper, covering the mormon break away groups who rejected the practice of polygamy. Now, I understand this was on religious grounds, but it got me thinking about the subject in general, and as to why it should (or should not) be outlawed in the first place, regardless of your religious beliefs.

My stance is that I don't think there is a moral argument against it, assuming all parties are consenting (i.e. they all know about it and give their consent). One man can marry multiple women, and likewise one woman can marry multiple men (however I see the former being MUCH more common for obvious reasons i.e. the practicalities of raising children).

I can see where it can become legally complex though, and this is the only reason I can see for governments outlawing it - certainly not because it's inherently 'wrong' or immoral. I think in real life, it's probably not going to work too well for most people but regardless, I'm not sure it should be illegal?

Anyone else's thoughts? Others agree or am I just waaaay out there? If you disagree on non-religious moral grounds, why?
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message

Old 03-17-2009, 10:59 PM

7,084 posts, read 14,169,103 times
Philosophically speaking, I wouldn't mind six or seven 22 to 29 year old females, of my chosing of course. Hummmmmm, a Dusty Sandwich, I kinda like the sound of that. Then again, there is that old christer adage, that a man can not serve two (or more) masters. Most women I've met are smart enough to allow the man to think he is running things. Some guys are absolutely thick as a brick. Me too on occassion! It's a condition I like to call - "Testosterone induced dementia". - I am certainly not above it.

Old 03-17-2009, 11:00 PM

61,281 posts, read 83,360,452 times
right and wrong are moral judgments not related to philosophy
that would be a religious concept.

Old 03-17-2009, 11:11 PM

1,387 posts, read 2,351,812 times
Hkgal-
I agree with what you have said. I see nothing wrong with polygamy as long as all parties are consenting adults and there is no coercion.
I would not be interested in such an arrangement for myself. One man in the house is plenty!

Old 03-18-2009, 01:51 AM

5,158 posts, read 8,847,098 times
It's more of a sociological issue than a philosophical one.

To answer the OP though, there is nothing wrong or immoral about polygamy or any other form of marriage. The marriage we have today is actually predated by the many forms of marriage considered taboo now. As long as all participants are consenting adults, who cares?

Old 03-18-2009, 06:34 AM

339 posts, read 1,128,752 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Huckleberry3911948 View Post
right and wrong are moral judgments not related to philosophy
that would be a religious concept.
So what might those of us who are not religious use to examine the underlying origins of our beliefs? I think everything is 'related' to philosophy. So are you actually going to enlighten us with your own views, or just make pointless comments?

Old 03-18-2009, 06:44 AM

13,038 posts, read 23,668,789 times
Not a lifestyle I am really attracted to ( neither polygamy nor polyandry) but if it is consensual then I really don't see how it is any of my business.

All societies have their own rules and mores and at the end of the day who am I to judge. Not my cup of tea and I would have some reservations about situations when it is "expected" and where people are coerced into it ( as I do with arranged marriages which are often ( not always) pushed onto people).

Philosophically speaking if nobody gets hurt then fine. I suspect it does not suit the vast majority of human beings though who tend to feel possessive of their partners/husband/wives etc...
I am not sure it is entirely the "norm" in Human behaviour to equally share one's loved on with others.

But it has to be a choice.

Morality is a deeply personal thing and we all perceive aspects of human behaviour differently. Polygamy/Polyandry is widely accepted by many societies and yet rejected by many.

However I would prefer to see it as a personal choice not a societal imposition. The way marriage should be a choice not an expectation borne out of religious/moral constraints.

Old 03-18-2009, 09:10 AM

1,088 posts, read 2,120,884 times
I have no objections regarding polygamy amongst consenting adults.

Old 03-18-2009, 12:27 PM

3,517 posts, read 12,815,667 times
Just throwing in another perspective. Among the societies where it is practiced, women have little choice and are subjugated to point of being chattel. So, I would think that the two go hand in hand. Where there is polygamy, there is no freedom for women. As I think the freedom of women is a moral imperative, I cannot condone a societal structure that removes this. The freely consenting thing gets to be pretty murky - kind of like the claims of pedophiles about the freedom of children.

Is there any society that has practiced polyandry as a tradition? I can think of none.

This too illustrates the connection between subjugation of women and polygamy. It is too one sided to be moral.

Old 03-18-2009, 04:12 PM

7,915 posts, read 18,035,486 times
This isn't something that would appeal to me personally because I don't see how this is a relationship among equals although if that's what people really want it isn't necessarily wrong. This has come up as a topic before and I have expressed my concern about the children in these relationships because it is very common for groups of people who practice polygamy to live isolated lives that are hidden from the public and it appears to be quite common at least in America for young girls to be taken advantage of by much older men and I don't believe that's right. If we're talking about consenting adults I'm pretty much of the opinion that it's none of the government's business but when the situation involves children it takes on a completely different dynamic which can lead to the exploitation of those children. Polygamy always seems to be about one man with multiple wives but you never hear anything about one wife with multiple husbands and I don't think many men would even consider such an arrangement. I know I wouldn't unless Angelina Jolie told me that she needed a break from Brad Pitt every once in awhile and asked if I might be available.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism