U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-23-2009, 03:50 PM

81 posts, read 129,965 times

Advertisements

I don't know about you, but NOT believing in an afterlife has actually relinquished me of my fears of death. It is so much easier for me to go about my life and it makes me grateful for every breath of air I take and every day that I live. If all we have is now, then that makes me aspire to be so much more of a person in every sense. I want to be nicer to others, I want to build my knowledge, and I want to create the most beautiful things I can.

I think when I had religion, I was much more scared to live, and therefore even more terrified of death. I would find myself thinking, what if God damns me to hell for what I just said or did? Now I find that I am a more joyful person, both externally and internally, just because I am not scared to live my life anymore.

What are everyone's thoughts on the fear of death, whether you have it or not?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-23-2009, 04:44 PM

30 posts, read 99,339 times
I fear pain that is generally coupled with death, but that's it.

I know this might sound kind of corny and new age, but I think it's very important to study physics and biology at an intermediate level, and REALLY grasp the material. Once I got a better understanding of evolution, it really opened me up the absolute beauty of it all; including death.

It's why I never understood intelligent "christians" who pretend to believe things I know they are not intellectual capable of truly believing out of fear. The truth is much more beautiful than the fairytale ever could be.

Old 03-23-2009, 04:44 PM

4,512 posts, read 6,734,150 times
Death (Stanford Encyclopedia of Philosophy)

death i do not fear, only dying .....

Old 03-23-2009, 04:45 PM

7,916 posts, read 16,805,424 times
If any human being is in a situation in which their life is in danger they are going to feel fear, it's just an instinctual thing having to do with survival. At any given moment I don't even give it a thought although if I was in the last stages of a terminal illness and knew that my death was going to happen in the very near future I have no doubt that I'd be filled with all sorts of emotions and fear would probably be one of them. I know I wouldn't have any last minute conversions to religion but the realization that my self consciousness and everything that I am is going to disappear would undoubtedly have an impact on me.

Old 03-23-2009, 05:03 PM

2,497 posts, read 6,407,309 times
I just don't like the idea of never being able to enjoy the feeling of a warm summer day, or a cool fall breeze, or the feeling I get when I visit California and hang out at the ocean and Venice Beach. Hanging out with friends (the few I still have) and trying new foods. Basically the good things I feel while being lucky enough to be alive, somewhat young still, and healthy.
The thought of feeling nothing and blacking out forever and my body dying makes me sad to be quite honest. I'm not a guy who will act all tough about death, it scares me, but not because of all the afterlife crap, just because I won't be alive to experience all the great (and not so great) things life has to offer us living. When I was still a Catholic (ions ago) I never really truly enjoyed life. I was too busy being afraid of going to hell and suffering in the inferno. Now, I appreciate every single day I have on earth. Kinda strange that soon after I found my non-believing ways I also found a greater appreciation for life and the beauty in things. Talk about irony.

Last edited by jc76; 03-23-2009 at 05:19 PM..

Old 03-23-2009, 05:14 PM

161 posts, read 377,961 times
i know for sure that i was afraid to die BEFORE i knew Jesus personally as my saviour,
than when i again almost died AFTER i knew Him.
sure-
i know all the medical facts and biology reasons for death
and what happens during death.
i have seen death up close and personal with others who have died before my eyes .sometimes it is peaceful and other times it is horrible to witness.
do a study yourselves,
who dies 'the best'?
true christians who have Jesus in their hearts,
or the ones who know at the 'end ',
that they are alone spiritually for eternity.
the info is out there.

Old 03-23-2009, 05:25 PM

Location: In the North Idaho woods, still surrounded by terriers
2,178 posts, read 6,293,305 times
I "died" three times about 10 years ago, the result of a pulmonary embolism. Tenacious doctors and ER staff brought me back. I remember no white light, no distant relatives, nothing much at all about the incident, but when I finally came around I do remember feeling extremely peaceful. So, whatever "death" is, it must be a peaceful place & time. Thus being...no, I do not fear death

Old 03-23-2009, 05:26 PM

2,497 posts, read 6,407,309 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by homesheba View Post
i know for sure that i was afraid to die BEFORE i knew Jesus personally as my saviour,
sure-
i have seen death up close and personal with others who have died before my eyes .sometimes it is peaceful and other times it is horrible to witness.
do a study yourselves,
who dies 'the best'?
the info is out there.
I followed up until the last few sentences. "True Christians"??? Define this term please, I have yet to meet one of those, I have met many who claim it, but anyone can claim anything these days. Anything to look or feel superior to the other guy.

Old 03-23-2009, 05:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jc76 View Post
I just don't like the idea of never being able to enjoy the feeling of a warm summer day, or a cool fall breeze, or the feeling I get when I visit California and hang out at the ocean and Venice Beach. Hanging out with friends (the few I still have) and trying new foods. Basically the good things I feel while being lucky enough to be alive, somewhat young still, and healthy.
The thought of feeling nothing and blacking out forever and my body dying makes me sad to be quite honest. I'm not a guy who will act all tough about death, it scares me, but not because of all the afterlife crap, just because I won't be alive to experience all the great (and not so great) things life has to offer us living. When I was still a Catholic (ions ago) I never really truly enjoyed life. I was too busy being afraid of going to hell and suffering in the inferno. Now, I appreciate every single day I have on earth. Kinda strange that soon after I found my non-believing ways I also found a greater appreciation for life and the beauty in things. Talk about irony.
True, but if you don't believe you would even be conscience of the fact that you are dead, than what difference would being dead make? Are you afraid of the process of death, the last moments of your life when you realize you are dying?

Old 03-23-2009, 05:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by homesheba View Post
sure-
do a study yourselves,
who dies 'the best'?
the info is out there.
I don't think you can prove that "true Christians" die anymore of a peaceful or non-peaceful death than anyone else; simply for the fact that no one has returned from the dead to say whether their death was peaceful or not. I think your death experience depends on a number of factors, but most importantly your personality. I'm sure there are just as many "true Christians" who have died horrifying deaths they could not stand, as there are Buddhists or Hindus or Atheists or Diests who have died peaceful deaths. I am speculating here, as I have no idea what death will actually be like (and I also believe there is no such thing as a true Christian in our world today).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or