U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 03-23-2009, 08:01 PM
 
Location: Jacksonville, FL
81 posts, read 129,935 times
Reputation: 34

Advertisements

You know those pestering ads that you always see on the forum? Proof for God's existence, Believe Now, etc. I decided to click on one and dissect it a bit. Feel free to add everything I missed.

Here's the link. I apologize to the admins for my not fully reading the TOS.

Does God Exist - Six Reasons to Believe that God is Really There - Existence of God - Proof of God

1. The complexity of our planet in no way proves that there is a God, or even a Prime Mover. It is just as easily possible that the habitable conditions of our planet are luck and chance, as many other happenings in the universe are. If our planet was considerably smaller, then yes, it could not sustain an atmosphere, but that is much smaller than it is. Even if its size was cut in half, it could still sustain an atmosphere. Evidence of this is right next door in our solar neighborhood. Mars is about half the size of Earth. Earth would also have to be much, much larger to even be thought of as a gas giant, or to even have nearly the same atmospheric pressure as Jupiter.

Moderator cut: Reformatted for copyright

Last edited by june 7th; 03-31-2009 at 04:49 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 03-23-2009, 09:21 PM
 
Location: South Central PA
1,562 posts, read 3,905,766 times
Reputation: 361
I think a lot of people believe because they can't accept the fact that there is no 'great plan' for their life, and that when people die, they are 100% dead except for the memories they leave. That's in addition to people being otherwise incapable for not wanting to be able to say they don't understand. They'd rather create a completely bogus and nonsensical story for their existence than to leave it to chance and amazing circumstances.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-26-2009, 01:40 PM
 
Location: NC, USA
7,088 posts, read 13,048,650 times
Reputation: 3984
Quote:
Originally Posted by tjd8591 View Post
You know those pestering ads that you always see on the forum? Proof for God's existence, Believe Now, etc. I decided to click on one and dissect it a bit. Feel free to add everything I missed.

Here's the link. I apologize to the admins for my not fully reading the TOS.

Does God Exist - Six Reasons to Believe that God is Really There - Existence of God - Proof of God

1. The complexity of our planet in no way proves that there is a God, or even a Prime Mover. It is just as easily possible that the habitable conditions of our planet are luck and chance, as many other happenings in the universe are. If our planet was considerably smaller, then yes, it could not sustain an atmosphere, but that is much smaller than it is. Even if its size was cut in half, it could still sustain an atmosphere. Evidence of this is right next door in our solar neighborhood. Mars is about half the size of Earth. Earth would also have to be much, much larger to even be thought of as a gas giant, or to even have nearly the same atmospheric pressure as Jupiter.

Moderator cut: Reformatted for copyright
Hummmmmmm, the only Two miracles I have ever personally witnessed was Tiger Woods hitting a wedge out of the sandtrap and into the hole @ 85 yards. AND, a friend of mine Jay Beane shot two flying doves w/one shot, I told him he still needed two more miracles for sainthood, he laughed.

Last edited by june 7th; 03-31-2009 at 04:49 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-30-2009, 01:54 PM
 
Location: Hernando, Ok
5 posts, read 11,734 times
Reputation: 13
One day the logical will wish they had been more blindly faithful. Along with all those things that are so impossible..........just look around at the world and life and how it all works. It is almost Spring. Watch things grow! So where did all this come from and how was life made if there is no God? There may not be any visible proof that God made it, but where is the proof that he did not, and the proof of how it ALL really came to be? I personally would rather have the blind faith and live happily and be wrong in the end and die and that's it(no more, the end), rather than not have faith and not believe in my God and savior and die and be cast to hell. What is there to loose with faith? Nothing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-30-2009, 05:02 PM
 
Location: Rivendell
1,387 posts, read 2,166,868 times
Reputation: 1650
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kristin9196 View Post
One day the logical will wish they had been more blindly faithful. Along with all those things that are so impossible..........just look around at the world and life and how it all works. It is almost Spring. Watch things grow! So where did all this come from and how was life made if there is no God? There may not be any visible proof that God made it, but where is the proof that he did not, and the proof of how it ALL really came to be? I personally would rather have the blind faith and live happily and be wrong in the end and die and that's it(no more, the end), rather than not have faith and not believe in my God and savior and die and be cast to hell. What is there to loose with faith? Nothing.
Hi Kristen and welcome to the forum. You do know that this is the atheist forum, don't you?
I tend to read all of the posts here, and I can't help but notice that you posted this exact same thing in another thread. Why are you posting it again here?
Many of the atheists and agnostics here used to be christians, so it is not like we don't grasp your god concept. I don't know anyone here who hasn't given a great deal of thought to what they believe and why they believe it.

Just because you don't know enough about science, proving negatives, and Pascal's Wager doesn't mean that there is a god.
All of the things you have brought up have been discussed at length in older threads. Please use the search engine and read what has already been discussed.
One day the blindly faithful will wish they had been more logical.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-30-2009, 07:52 PM
 
Location: Richland, Washington
4,144 posts, read 5,109,792 times
Reputation: 2539
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kristin9196 View Post
One day the logical will wish they had been more blindly faithful. Along with all those things that are so impossible..........just look around at the world and life and how it all works. It is almost Spring. Watch things grow! So where did all this come from and how was life made if there is no God? There may not be any visible proof that God made it, but where is the proof that he did not, and the proof of how it ALL really came to be? I personally would rather have the blind faith and live happily and be wrong in the end and die and that's it(no more, the end), rather than not have faith and not believe in my God and savior and die and be cast to hell. What is there to loose with faith? Nothing.
Faith makes you lost your sanity, something atheists/agnostics cherish. You might also want to make sure your god is the right god and not the Mighty Double Whopper(blessed be his giant pickles). If the god you chose to worship was the wrong god, then you've lost all self respect because you devoted your life to a delusion and all of those years you wasted on fairytales could have been given to real things and real people.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-05-2012, 02:45 PM
 
1 posts, read 1,557 times
Reputation: 12
Kristen wants to live in blissful ignorance?? That's the kind of progress hindering thinking that puts us so far behind as a species. Being satisfied with a god did it answer is completly useless and if you really believe that stop going to the doctor, dentist, ect. Because god did it and you wouldn't wan to ruin his plan with all that dirty science and intelligence.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-05-2012, 04:18 PM
 
16,600 posts, read 14,084,987 times
Reputation: 20563
Quote:
Originally Posted by Devinc1991 View Post
Kristen wants to live in blissful ignorance?? That's the kind of progress hindering thinking that puts us so far behind as a species. Being satisfied with a god did it answer is completly useless and if you really believe that stop going to the doctor, dentist, ect. Because god did it and you wouldn't wan to ruin his plan with all that dirty science and intelligence.
Kristin hasn't been online in 3 1/2 years.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-06-2012, 04:02 PM
 
7,148 posts, read 7,976,714 times
Reputation: 4383
Quote:
Originally Posted by agnostic soldier View Post
Faith makes you lost your sanity, something atheists/agnostics cherish. You might also want to make sure your god is the right god and not the Mighty Double Whopper(blessed be his giant pickles). If the god you chose to worship was the wrong god, then you've lost all self respect because you devoted your life to a delusion and all of those years you wasted on fairytales could have been given to real things and real people.
i was much more mentally healthy when i believed in god ( granted i was never devout or even religous , just a cultural catholic ) , i no longer believe in god but my athiesm was an evolutionary process which grew out of a tragic turning point in my life , i dont believe athiests are any less likely to be insane as the majority of believers are not crazy
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-06-2012, 11:58 PM
 
278 posts, read 255,547 times
Reputation: 174
I find it nauseating how sheeple try to argue that if science can't fully explain a certain natural phenomena, such as "what happened before the Big Bang"?, "why can particles bounce in and out of existance?," or "why haven't biologists been able to recreate the origins of life experiment?" their fallback position is that it's proof of the supernatural. Why should God win by default?
I find that people are:
a) Generally scientifically-illiterate, and therefore:
b) Do not understand what constitutes a proof,/evidence, hypthesis,test, or theory
c) Do not understand what is meant by the Big Bang
d) Do not understand Evolution, populations, heredity, mutations, natural selection, extinctions, and/or the power of cumulative changes over time
e) Have no incentive for intellectual honesty in their search for the cosmic questions
f) Will not forfeit their pseudo-beliefs because science, math, logic, and reason offer no eternal security blanket or psychological pacifier
g) Do not care if their sacred book, their alleged 'infallible and incontrovertible word of God' is square with reality.
h) Do not know that ALL ARGUMENTS ARE NOT CREATED EQUALLY!

So, I ask WTF is the point of arguing with these people?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top