Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-19-2015, 08:09 AM

1 posts, read 664 times

Advertisements

[url]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l64glEru-sU[/url]
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-19-2015, 10:22 AM

17,183 posts, read 22,902,669 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lsndata View Post
Some of the things in the video are only true of particular Buddhist sects. I am reading the Doubt, a history and it details different beliefs held at different times by various Buddhist sects. Karma, for example, is not universally believed by Buddhists.

Old 09-19-2015, 12:43 PM

19,973 posts, read 13,459,195 times
Since Buddhism does not have any deities, some atheists are kindly disposed to it. It is the only religion I'm familiar with, that I can find some comfort level with as an unbeliever in any gods. Ultimately though I never found meditation helpful and besides, Buddhism is still barnacled with dogma, tradition, ritual, magical beliefs, and even a degree of denominationalism.

Old 09-19-2015, 02:14 PM

1,185 posts, read 2,219,679 times
Like all other religions, atheists write them off as fables and superstitions. They pretend they are all lies and basically go around telling everyone that 6.7 billion people are stupid. All theists are stupid in their eyes and they are right.

Old 09-19-2015, 02:24 PM

7,943 posts, read 6,063,709 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mordant View Post
Since Buddhism does not have any deities, some atheists are kindly disposed to it. It is the only religion I'm familiar with, that I can find some comfort level with as an unbeliever in any gods. Ultimately though I never found meditation helpful and besides, Buddhism is still barnacled with dogma, tradition, ritual, magical beliefs, and even a degree of denominationalism.
Actually, playing video games seems to help most people learn better focus and even widen their focus (widen their tunnel vision). Meditations are just supposed to be mental exercises to strengthen the mind in various ways... for example, escaping the barrage of city life (propaganda, traffic, crime, etc) by walking calmly in a nature-filled environment (park, etc) has statistically significant effects on the betterment of later focused learning on a population of practitioners. Western ideas of "meditation" (as in various quiet contemplation exercises) were never really meant to be done alone, but with a group of monks and/or lay-people (considering that to be a Buddhist religiously one must join a community of Buddhists). But scientific studies have shown that just sitting by itself (without doing anything specific) brings some relief from stress to a significant proportion of participants.

Some denominations of Buddhism believe in many and various supernatural entities, including things such as ghosts, fighting deities (angels and demons), basking deities (gods), hell-entrapted souls, etc.

Buddhists aren't supposed to hate each other, but there are "Protestant-like" sects of Buddhism that extensively dislike the tradition, ritual, and dogma of the particular sect of Buddhism they split off from.

Most Buddhists recognize that the primary core of Buddhist philosophy is contemplation upon the 4-Fold Syllogism (aka the 4 Noble Truths), which includes following of the 8-Fold Noble Path (doing the right thing in the 8 "sectors" of conscious life) as the conclusion.

But that is not what Buddhist religion is, because Buddhist religion adds 3 main ideas:
1. Founder (allegiance and/or gratitude for Siddhartha Gautama igniting the movement)
2. Law (allegiance and/or study of the expansions on the 8 Fold Path to ending Suffering)
3. Community (allegiance to and/or focus on building the Community of Buddhists as a whole or in particular)

Buddhist spirituality would of course be a more liberal form (as in liberty and individual equality) of Buddhist religion.

Old 09-19-2015, 03:36 PM

63,785 posts, read 40,053,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amercity View Post
All theists are stupid in their eyes and they are right.
My, my,my . . . Another fundy atheist, eh??? It takes an awful lot of arrogance to base certainty on "We don't know" and call those who believe for personal reasons stupid.

Old 09-19-2015, 04:02 PM

50,087 posts, read 20,700,397 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
My, my,my . . . Another fundy atheist, eh??? It takes an awful lot of arrogance to base certainty on "We don't know" and call those who believe for personal reasons stupid.
Maybe you should read his post again. In case it helps here is another sample of his views

Quote:
We wear our religion proudly and are the only developed nation ready to stand against the atheist offensive. Praise Jesus

Old 09-19-2015, 04:22 PM

63,785 posts, read 40,053,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AREQUIPA View Post
Maybe you should read his post again. In case it helps here is another sample of his views
Thanks, Arq. That's what I get for reading too fast and ASSuming. You know the old adage. .

Old 09-19-2015, 05:25 PM

48,564 posts, read 24,110,503 times
Quote:
Like all other religions, atheists write them off as fables and superstitions. They pretend they are all lies and basically go around telling everyone that 6.7 billion people are stupid. All theists are stupid in their eyes and they are right.
You should work on sharpening your writing skills, or perhaps at least put some added thought into making sure the structure of what you present says what you wish it to say.

Your first sentence is okay, the meaning clear. Then the trouble starts,
Quote:
They pretend they are all lies
"They" would reference atheists, but by "pretend" do you mean that the atheists know that all these religions are true, and are just faking it when they say that they think they are false? You are indicting all atheists as insincere in their lack of belief in a god? Closet theists all?

You go on...
Quote:
and basically go around telling everyone that 6.7 billion people are stupid.
..presenting us with a blunderbuss generalization. There are no atheists content to keep their opinions to themselves? There are no atheists who see the religious as incorrect, but not as stupid? All of the ones who do see them as stupid, express this view in public?

Your final stumble comes with...
Quote:
All theists are stupid in their eyes and they are right
Now, did you mean to say that all atheists see the faithful as stupid, and that the atheists are right, all theists are stupid? Or did you mean that all atheists see theists as stupid and "think" that they are right in this conclusion?

Either way, it is another blunderbuss generalization, so it actually doesn't much matter which meaning you wanted to convey.

Old 09-19-2015, 05:33 PM

7,588 posts, read 6,624,774 times
Even if his post made sense, it still wouldn't make any sense.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism