Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-25-2009, 03:34 PM

1,115 posts, read 3,133,261 times

Advertisements

I am curious about what atheists think of Buddhism and other Eastern religions?

Buddhism does not define God, or claim to know what God is. To me, Buddhist philosophies and beliefs seem very reasonable and open-minded (unlike Christian beliefs). Buddhism makes a few assumptions about reincarnation and karma, but these seem much more natural than other religions.

Personally. I have never believed in any of the religions of the book. I've always believed them to be false belief systems for the ignorant. But at the same time, atheism does not feel right either to me. Atheism seems like a reactionary stance against the nonsense of the religions of the book, yet it is not a solid belief system itself.

I've heard the Christian perspective on Buddhism. It usually goes back to their faith in Jesus as the one and only God, therefore Buddha is a "false idol" and Buddhism is an evil false religion. You all know that whole view that they have......

But I am curious what the atheist perspective is. I see a lot of back and forth between Atheists and Christians. And Islam and Judaism often enter the debate too. But Buddhism only seems to enter the conversations rarely.

Anyone want to share?

Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-25-2009, 03:45 PM

3,412 posts, read 10,167,793 times
I'm looking to buy a Chinese Buddha statue, because i like the cute bold guy with a fat belly!!!
Buddhism would be my first choice if i was under the gun to believe/follow anything.

Old 03-25-2009, 04:00 PM

81 posts, read 144,396 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FunkyMonk View Post

Buddhism does not define God, or claim to know what God is. To me, Buddhist philosophies and beliefs seem very reasonable and open-minded (unlike Christian beliefs). Buddhism makes a few assumptions about reincarnation and karma, but these seem much more natural than other religions.

Personally. I have never believed in any of the religions of the book. I've always believed them to be false belief systems for the ignorant. But at the same time, atheism does not feel right either to me. Atheism seems like a reactionary stance against the nonsense of the religions of the book, yet it is not a solid belief system itself.

I've heard the Christian perspective on Buddhism. It usually goes back to their faith in Jesus as the one and only God, therefore Buddha is a "false idol" and Buddhism is an evil false religion. You all know that whole view that they have......

But I am curious what the atheist perspective is. I see a lot of back and forth between Atheists and Christians. And Islam and Judaism often enter the debate too. But Buddhism only seems to enter the conversations rarely.

Anyone want to share?

Thanks.
Truly, out of any religion in the entire world, Buddhism is the only one that I think is logical. After deciding I was not Christian anymore, I seriously considered Buddhism prior to becoming agnostic. If I was going to be a part of any religious group in the entire world, Buddhism would have to be it. It seems like the most logical and open-minded religion out there.
I'd actually like to learn more about Buddhism, since all I really know about it is its early history and what I've learned from going through internet articles. I'm assuming that you're Buddhist, and if not I apologize for assuming, but if you are, would you be obliging enough to explain to me a bit about Buddhism?

Old 03-25-2009, 04:08 PM

19,012 posts, read 29,708,171 times
Quote:

Anyone want to share?

Thanks.
Oh yeah?

Send Hinduism with all its Gita, upanishads, vedas and puranas into a Bessemer converter and call what comes out Buddhism.

If atheists reject hinduism, they should reject Buddhism too. No cherry picking from the cake

Old 03-25-2009, 04:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjd8591 View Post
Truly, out of any religion in the entire world, Buddhism is the only one that I think is logical. After deciding I was not Christian anymore, I seriously considered Buddhism prior to becoming agnostic. If I was going to be a part of any religious group in the entire world, Buddhism would have to be it. It seems like the most logical and open-minded religion out there.
I'd actually like to learn more about Buddhism, since all I really know about it is its early history and what I've learned from going through internet articles. I'm assuming that you're Buddhist, and if not I apologize for assuming, but if you are, would you be obliging enough to explain to me a bit about Buddhism?
I used to be really interesting in Native American spirituality and shamanism from around the world, and I took what I learned very seriously and practiced the techniques.

Then I started learning about Buddhism and I realized that it has a LOT in common with Native American traditions. I sensed that there were certain spiritual truths that are universal to all these different paths. These truths are just aspects of the human soul that people have learned about over the millenia.

The best thing about Buddhism is that is isn't even really a "religion", it's more like a spiritual path. There is not much dogma at all in Buddhism, and many Buddhists reject what little dogma there is.

I like to practice Buddhist meditation techniques and yoga. And read Zen koans and poems. I love the spiritual growth aspect of it, and there is no holy book to read, no rules really, the only rules are in respect to yourself, not some imaginary God.

I can't bring myself to say "I am a Buddhist", and I don't like to categorize myself. But as time passes I find myself getting closer to it. Buddhism is just a great way to enhance your spirituality. And it allows you the mental freedom to believe anything you want and explore other things.

I personally do not consider Buddhism a religion. Would you call yoga a religion? Would you call shamanism a religion? I don't think so. I would call these things "spiritual paths" or something like that instead.

Old 03-25-2009, 04:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colossus_Antonis View Post
Oh yeah?

Send Hinduism with all its Gita, upanishads, vedas and puranas into a Bessemer converter and call what comes out Buddhism.

If atheists reject hinduism, they should reject Buddhism too. No cherry picking from the cake
But if you choose to blindly reject all religions and teachings, aren't you being just as closed-minded as the religious zealots?

Old 03-25-2009, 04:30 PM

19,012 posts, read 29,708,171 times
Quote:
But if you choose to blindly reject all religions and teachings, aren't you being just as closed-minded as the religious zealots?
For argument's sake, the atheist is against organized religion.

Buddhism is an organized farce which plagiarized convenient parts of Hinduism.

Think of Christianity and a subset. The atheist will readily reject both. If this does not happen with Buddhism, then they better put their ideology under serious review

Old 03-25-2009, 04:37 PM

1,088 posts, read 2,195,502 times
I don't agree with Buddhism anymore than I agree with any other religion. However, I still understand and respect the right of others who wish to consider themselves Buddhists. Its just not for me.

Quote:

Think of Christianity and a subset. The atheist will readily reject both. If this does not happen with Buddhism, then they better put their ideology under serious review
For argument's sake, atheist does not mean opposed to organized religion. Atheism merely means "no belief in a god". End of story. Being against organized religion is another bag of tricks entirely. However, some atheists are also anti-religion.

Old 03-25-2009, 04:43 PM

Quote:

Well, I disagree with your opinion about the origins of Buddhism. I used to be very skeptical about Buddhism too. I read the history of Buddhism long ago and I immediately denounced it as BS just like you.

Then I traveled Asia and went to Buddhist temples and saw what they were really doing. And to me, it is not even a religion. It is just a bunch of people working to enhance their spirituality. There was no dogma, no rules, no BS, just real spiritual work.

So even if it started as a farce, or as someone looking for fame and glory as a prophet (which could e true). That doesn't change what it is today.

And today, it is just a very simple set of guidelines a person can follow to attain enlightenment. It is very similar to the traditions of Native Americans, some African tribes, even lots of Pagan beliefs.

I am not a full on Buddhist myself and I cannot say it's ll true. But I do see a lot of misunderstandings about Buddhism in America. I think people overlook the possibilities of it.

Old 03-25-2009, 04:53 PM

Believing that there is no God seems very similar to believing in God.

Either way you are making assumptions about what God is.

When we should just admit that it's beyond what we can possibly know.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism