Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-07-2009, 10:12 AM

932 posts, read 1,638,102 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Georgiafrog View Post
I was raised in a Southern Baptist home. The culture of the Baptist faith permeated in pretty much every part of my upbringing. Yet my folks were kind of "southern hippie" types. Very much into the music and culture of the seventies, but finding it very important to introduce their children to church influence. Being "Agnostic" in this atmosphere was considered kind of a dirty word. Sitting on the fence was considered being intellectually dishonest. As I grow older however, and through fairly extensive travel and study, I have found at times the best position is on the fence. I don't take much stock in the bible, but still believe the best possible theory to be that the Universe was designed. There are many aspects of certain religions that I find as outlandish and unbelievable as many Atheists do, but I remain open to a discussion about what is possible. I have heard Agnosticism described as a middle ground between Theism and Atheism, with different forms of Agnostics leaning one way or the other. I guess in many ways I would be described as a sort of Agnostic. Are Agnostics lumped in with the Atheist crowd because socially the religious make the rules? Is it either believe fully, or be cast in with the "heathens"?

As far as I'm concerned (or know), the college life - away from home - on your own next step in life changed my daughters' perspectives. Of course, specifically, an agnostic roomate, and pastafarian HQ (based in her dorm) at this major university fueled any feelings a brand new adult may have been juggling.

Anyway, she has changed - and I'm always 'negative'.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-07-2009, 12:11 PM

89 posts, read 246,400 times
I have considered myself an agnostic for about 20 years. I don't believe there is a God, but I'm not 100 percent sure. And I identify with atheists because I can talk to them about my lack of beliefs. Not so with Christians or other believers.

Old 04-07-2009, 11:11 PM

11,798 posts, read 25,091,204 times
Might I point out that the definition of Atheist is simply one who doesn't believe in a god or gods. You don't have to prove there is none, as it is impracticable to prove a negative. The burden of proof is upon the believer, s/he who promotes the idea that there is. I agree with Dawkins when he says that, while he cannot be sure that there is no god hiding somewhere in the Universe, the likelihood is so small as to be at the vanishing point. Must we prove there is no Easter Bunny in order to stop believing there is?

Old 04-13-2009, 12:41 PM

2,964 posts, read 5,429,778 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Georgiafrog View Post
Is it either believe fully, or be cast in with the "heathens"?
Oh, but that's yet another constructed dichotomy, isn't it? So I'll create another one...: That where fundies and atheists are opposites related by certainties, agnostics and people of faith (as I understand and experience it, not as defined by the anti) are in a way complementary/opposite themselves, related by uncertainty. To the faithful, the universe is ultimately unknowable by us poor humans. That's the very definition of faith, which is very often overlooked in the debate.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism