Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-10-2009, 09:33 AM

7,915 posts, read 18,623,378 times

Advertisements

kdbrich wrote:
Quote:
I think he's running scared. He got worked over by Stein, and he's afraid of Comfort.
I just watched that video that agnostic soldier posted and the word that seems to best describe Comfort is crackpot. Dawkins would mop the floor with this guy. This street corner circus-like performance is simply not up to the standards of Dawkins and it would dignify and elevate Comfort by even having anything to do with him. Are you trying to convince us that Dawkins is afraid of this kook or are you really trying to convince yourself?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-10-2009, 09:39 AM

4,655 posts, read 5,068,879 times
It's a shame that I doubt we'll know....as dawkins is the one refusing to meet with him.

Old 04-10-2009, 09:52 AM

970 posts, read 1,700,043 times
How many times do I have to repeat this? Dawkins has a policy never to debate with a creationist. That's the most obvious reason why he refused.

Old 04-10-2009, 09:59 AM

7,915 posts, read 18,623,378 times
Roxolan wrote:
Quote:
Dawkins has a policy never to debate with a creationist.
It's also a very good policy because if he were to engage in debates with creationists it would give the impression to uninformed viewers that there really is a legitimate scientific debate among mainstream scientists as to whether or not evolution is valid. It would give creationism a certain prestige that it doesn't deserve.

Old 04-10-2009, 10:38 AM

4,655 posts, read 5,068,879 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roxolan View Post
How many times do I have to repeat this? Dawkins has a policy never to debate with a creationist. That's the most obvious reason why he refused.

He apparently is willing to debate it though, if paid $100 k

Old 04-10-2009, 10:50 AM

1,362 posts, read 4,618,557 times
Fine, tell Ray Comfort to peddle enough bananas to come up with Dawkins fee.

Old 04-10-2009, 03:58 PM

307 posts, read 479,421 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roxolan View Post
What's this?? Dawkins has debated with at least one creationist, John Lennox. To his shame, Dawkins prefers wishy-washy victims like the wringing wet Archbishop of Canterbury who he can run circles around.

I believe Richard Dawkins has never agreed to a serious debate around the table with a creationist scientist. Methinks he's scared.

Old 04-10-2009, 04:02 PM

307 posts, read 479,421 times
The one with Lennox was not a debate or discussion, rather one statement of belief followed by the opposing belief...he did not have to get cornered with any tricky questions. The man is a militant atheist who has set himself up as the intellectual voice of reason. But he has feet of clay.

Old 04-11-2009, 12:05 AM

4,367 posts, read 3,483,507 times
Quote:
I believe Richard Dawkins has never agreed to a serious debate around the table with a creationist scientist. Methinks he's scared.
"Creation scientist"; truly an oxymoron.

Old 04-11-2009, 06:14 AM

970 posts, read 1,700,043 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kdbrich
He apparently is willing to debate it though, if paid $100 k
[rhetoric warning: the money goes to a charity, not Dawkins himself]

I imagine his reasoning is:
- Dawkins never debates with creationists because it only helps the creationist cause by making it seem like there is a real controversy in the scientific community.
'Why I Won't Debate Creationists' by Richard Dawkins - RichardDawkins.net (http://richarddawkins.net/article,119,Why-I-Wont-Debate-Creationists,Richard-Dawkins - broken link)
Quote:
The point is not [...] whether or not you would 'win' the debate. Winning is not what the creationists realistically aspire to. For them, it is sufficient that the debate happens at all. They need the publicity. We don't. To the gullible public which is their natural constituency, it is enough that their man is seen sharing a platform with a real scientist. "There must be something in creationism, or Dr So-and-So would not have agreed to debate it on equal terms." Inevitably, when you turn down the invitation you will be accused of cowardice, or of inability to defend your own beliefs [how prophetic...]. But that is better than supplying the creationists with what they crave: the oxygen of respectability in the world of real science.
- However, what if the creationist is giving $100k to the Richard Dawkins Foundation for Reason and Science?
- This money (quoting Dawkins) "will NOT be available for buying animatronic dinosaurs with saddles, or other similar nonsense". It will instead be used by the foundation to promote science education and other things harmful to creationism.
- Thus the benefits should balance out the loss.

I was not aware of Dawkins' debate with Lennox (in fact, I'd never heard of the man ). Was the debate about creationism vs evolution? Because this is what Ray Comfort is specifically asking for. Interestingly, he is not on the Discovery Institute list of "scientists skeptical of evolution" (not that his presence would mean much (http://tinyurl.com/dzw88f - broken link)).

By the way, did you know another thing about the Dawkins/Comfort not-debate? Ray Comfort didn't actually ask Dawkins if he wanted to debate. That's right: he announced his desire to debate Dawkins for $10k (and made a few snarky remarks about "those evolutionists that never accept debates") without bothering to contact Dawkins at all! It was days after the announcement that he received a mail about it from a journalist, whose relation with Comfort is unknown.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism