U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Merry Christmas!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-06-2009, 09:17 PM

4,669 posts, read 1,681,807 times

Advertisements

Ray Comfort has raised $20,000 to challenge him to a debate. Think he has the intestinal fortitude to show up?

YouTube - Ray Comfort apologizes for banana illustration
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-06-2009, 09:36 PM

2,598 posts, read 3,538,603 times
Are you serious? Really, are you serious? I am over here half-laughing as a** off and half in utter disbelief that you have the capability to vote in this country.

Let me just say this. For myself, I wouldn't debate with you. It isn't because I am afraid of you, it is because there is no debate between myself and yourself. If someone is so stuck in their beliefs and thought process that they believe the 'Banana Man' has a convincing argument, there will never be a debate -- there will be aneurysm. I would guess that Dawkins' logic is quite similar.

For the same reasons that you don't debate and yell with children, you typically do not debate/yell with those who take religion this seriously and feel that this type of logic is sound.

...Wait, are you serious?

Old 04-06-2009, 09:46 PM

2,258 posts, read 1,863,791 times
Alien man hates banana man, they have a fight; alien man wins. Alien man.

Old 04-06-2009, 11:01 PM

Ray Comfort has challenged Dawkins to a debate. At this point Dawkins has tucked his tail between his legs and run home to mommy. He seems scared.

If Comfort is as much an idiot as you people seem to thinkhe is it should be the easiest $20k Dawkins ever made.

Old 04-06-2009, 11:36 PM

2,598 posts, read 3,538,603 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kdbrich View Post
Ray Comfort has challenged Dawkins to a debate. At this point Dawkins has tucked his tail between his legs and run home to mommy. He seems scared.

If Comfort is as much an idiot as you people seem to thinkhe is it should be the easiest $20k Dawkins ever made.
I think Dawkins' sanity is worth more than 20,000 dollars.

What does he have to run from? He's been on many conservative Christian shows and had good discussion with people. Dawkins has never been about blood bath's. At some point, you have to allow nutcases to be nutcases. Live and let live, kdb -- just as we are allowing you.

Take care.

Old 04-06-2009, 11:46 PM

Comfort will kill him 1 on 1 in a debate.

What do you expect? Dawkins has demaned $100 k. He's like the atheist version of a televangelist...he just comes out of his ivory tower once in awhile, waves....picks up a check and goes back in.

Old 04-07-2009, 12:18 AM

11,805 posts, read 14,376,578 times
Ray Comfort (the Banana Man) wouldn't stand a chance against Dawkins. I think Dawkins is simply trying to be kind to the logically challenged Comfort. It would be a waste of his time. I find it difficult to believe that you are serious too.

Old 04-07-2009, 12:21 AM

25,003 posts, read 18,646,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by catman View Post
Ray Comfort (the Banana Man) wouldn't stand a chance against Dawkins. I think Dawkins is simply trying to be kind to the logically challenged Comfort. It would be a waste of his time. I find it difficult to believe that you are serious too.
I quite sure he's not...This thread smells like something that lives under a bridge.

Old 04-07-2009, 12:40 AM

4,247 posts, read 2,163,442 times
I agree with the evo-lutionist - Ray would not win this one. He just throws out quick pharses (that are on the surface quite reasonable) with no real explanation - not good in a debate that will demand a little more on the science side of this debate. Not good for Christianity for him to do it.

Old 04-07-2009, 01:00 AM

4,047 posts, read 2,990,954 times
Dawkins has no reason to apologize for his "alien remarks," because the only way people are able to ridicule him for it is when they twist it around and don't understand what he said. He never said he believes aliens created us, just that it's an equally viable explanation to goddidit since we have no evidence either way. Even in that video, it said, "and Dawkins believes we may have been created by aliens!" No, he just doesn't reject it as impossible, just like every other unprovable creation story.

Comfort, on the other hand, completely missed his target with his banana and had to change his argument from "the banana was created by god because it couldn't have happened naturally" to "humans have the ability to selectively breed bananas so god must have given us the intelligence to do it." If he really meant to just use our intelligence as the argument, he wouldn't have said anything about a banana that he thought humans had nothing to do with.

But the fact that we don't have everything perfect (in fact the world is very hostile to us), and have had to work hard and build off the efforts of our ancestors who suffered gravely for their lack of technology, seems to highlight a severe lack of evidence for a (benevolent) creator.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $89,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism