Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-07-2009, 11:55 PM

455 posts, read 1,017,825 times

Advertisements

Do you think you will see an American President admit they are an atheist in your lifetime?

I honestly doubt whether Obama is actually a purported Christian, but he would not have been elected had he came out and said he wasn't a believer.

It is a sad state of affairs for our country, which was founded upon secular ideals (i am so glad this country came to fruition during the Age of Enlightenment!), that there is this unspoken requirement to be a Christian to be the leader of this country.

I am hopeful that I will see the day when it is not a requirement. I feel like we are exponentially getting closer to becoming more secular due to the accessibility of information on the internet.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-08-2009, 12:04 AM
NCN

21,662 posts, read 25,611,405 times
The three reasons people came to this country were gospel, glory and gold. Your post is correct in that our forefathers made sure that they could practice any religion that they wanted to and not have a state religion, but it was so they could practice their religion. Christian people have every right to vote for someone they think will share in their values. My values do not include abortion of innocent lives. Babies that have never done anything wrong are being given a death sentence without a trial. I consider that to be barbaric.

Old 04-08-2009, 12:45 AM

300 posts, read 734,811 times
I didn't think I'd see a black president in my lifetime, but here you go. Nothing is impossible anymore on that part. Won't be surprised if the next one will be a woman and some time down the timeline, a gay atheist black woman. Neither of which traits alone should be any detrimental to doing her job.

Old 04-08-2009, 10:39 AM

1,385 posts, read 2,453,215 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NCN View Post
The three reasons people came to this country were gospel, glory and gold. Your post is correct in that our forefathers made sure that they could practice any religion that they wanted to and not have a state religion, but it was so they could practice their religion. Christian people have every right to vote for someone they think will share in their values. My values do not include abortion of innocent lives. Babies that have never done anything wrong are being given a death sentence without a trial. I consider that to be barbaric.
What does any of this have to do with the OP?

Old 04-08-2009, 10:40 AM

8,046 posts, read 28,457,968 times
In the next decade, no

In my lifetime, I hope so, and I do believe so. I'm only 31, so assuming I live to an average age, thats 10-12 more elections.

I'm curious to see what next year's census says for the percentage of people who identify themselves as "non-religious" in one form or another. I don't think a president who is openly atheist will be elected until that number reaches 50%. I believe it is currently hovering about 15%

Old 04-08-2009, 10:42 AM

7,915 posts, read 18,614,873 times
At my age there isn't even the slightest possibility that America will elect an atheist President. I honestly don't see this happening for maybe fifty years or more.

Old 04-08-2009, 10:53 AM

4,323 posts, read 6,020,829 times
I personally don't think it will ever happen. I think Americans need that assurance that there is something greater than us that exists. I don't think, given all the information I have regarding the spirit world and what is coming, that there will ever be a 50% number of athiests.

Old 04-08-2009, 11:30 AM

970 posts, read 1,699,242 times
In his memoirs, after having retired from presidency, possibly. Atheism is growing in the US, but not that fast, and it's still very distrusted. Maybe a president who refuses to discuss his religious beliefs publicly? That would be something, at least.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reverend1111
I personally don't think it will ever happen. I think Americans need that assurance that there is something greater than us that exists. I don't think, given all the information I have regarding the spirit world and what is coming, that there will ever be a 50% number of athiests.
Well, I don't have a direct line to mystical prophetic forces, but I do see it as a possibility, eventually. Just look at Europe.

Old 04-08-2009, 11:34 AM

4,173 posts, read 6,683,875 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rickmahorn View Post
Do you think you will see an American President admit they are an atheist in your lifetime?

I honestly doubt whether Obama is actually a purported Christian, but he would not have been elected had he came out and said he wasn't a believer.

It is a sad state of affairs for our country, which was founded upon secular ideals (i am so glad this country came to fruition during the Age of Enlightenment!), that there is this unspoken requirement to be a Christian to be the leader of this country.

I am hopeful that I will see the day when it is not a requirement. I feel like we are exponentially getting closer to becoming more secular due to the accessibility of information on the internet.
Chances are very slim we will elect an open atheist. If a presidents admits being an atheist, it will be after the elections and probably as a result of a "leak".

Old 04-08-2009, 12:14 PM

4,655 posts, read 5,064,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rickmahorn View Post

Historically, churches have been used by political candidates to promote themselves. It helps a guy to be seen by a few thousand people on a regular basis...appearing to be moral, upright, and have a lot in common with them.

Not to say that an atheist can't be a decent, moral person...but there's a reason that candidates go door-to-door to shake hands--they need to meet the people.

To admit that they are atheist is to remove them from a large social networking organization...and to remove something they have in common with their voters.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism