U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-08-2009, 10:02 PM

29,038 posts, read 45,039,938 times

Advertisements

I thought the Atheists would appreciate this... tonight I attended a "Godless" (aka "Humanist") Passover Seder at my Aunt & Uncle's house in Massachusetts. I knew there was something odd about the Haggadah (prayer book), but I almost didn't notice there's NO mention of God! They belong to a Humanist Synagogue in Cambridge, which I guess is like an Atheistic form of Judaism. Pretty cool, huh? My Grandmother calls it a cult, though - LOL.

I've always called myself an Agnostic Jew, but to be honest I still like a traditional Reform Synagogue. It's just what I'm used to, and the old hymns/prayers are comforting to me. But I did like this non-religious Passover thing, especially since the service part was nice and short... got to the food more quickly, hehe. Anyway, I just thought you'd like hearing about this, and was curious if anyone knows about this "sect" of Judaism?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-08-2009, 10:24 PM

1,387 posts, read 2,166,698 times
Yes, I have some friends in the Bay Area who are atheist jews. They even have an atheist Rabbi. They do all of the traditional jewish rituals without the god part. I got the impression it was a rather large congregation.

Old 04-08-2009, 10:31 PM

29,038 posts, read 45,039,938 times
Usually "Atheist Jews" are just Reform Jews, like myself... I haven't heard much about Humanist Judaism, so that is a new one to me!

Old 04-09-2009, 06:56 AM

3,517 posts, read 12,053,898 times
I remember a Jewish friend I used to know in college who said that the natural progression of religion is to go from a multitude of gods to one god to no god. Judaism is full of cultural tradition so it makes sense that those who don't believe in the magic aspects would like to gather and still celebrate the cultural holidays. It isn't really any different than the multitudes of us who grew up in the Christian tradition celebrating Christmas but ignoring and leaving out the religious aspects.

Besides, we all should celebrate the return of spring. What's not to like about the world springing back to life?

I never liked Easter much (except for the egg hunt) because it was always very dark and dreary with all its condemnation of sin and death.

Old 04-09-2009, 08:44 AM

4,669 posts, read 4,093,723 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gizmo980 View Post
I thought the Atheists would appreciate this... tonight I attended a "Godless" (aka "Humanist") Passover Seder at my Aunt & Uncle's house in Massachusetts. I knew there was something odd about the Haggadah (prayer book), but I almost didn't notice there's NO mention of God! They belong to a Humanist Synagogue in Cambridge, which I guess is like an Atheistic form of Judaism. Pretty cool, huh? My Grandmother calls it a cult, though - LOL.

I've always called myself an Agnostic Jew, but to be honest I still like a traditional Reform Synagogue. It's just what I'm used to, and the old hymns/prayers are comforting to me. But I did like this non-religious Passover thing, especially since the service part was nice and short... got to the food more quickly, hehe. Anyway, I just thought you'd like hearing about this, and was curious if anyone knows about this "sect" of Judaism?

why bother? is it just for cultural experience?

Old 04-09-2009, 08:56 AM

3,517 posts, read 12,053,898 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kdbrich View Post
why bother? is it just for cultural experience?
You're question was already answered in the op.

Old 04-09-2009, 04:59 PM

53 posts, read 138,209 times
There are a number of secular jewish organizations that observe jewish holidays without reference to god and even offer secular bar mitzvahs. Google "secular jews" and you will get a ton of information.

Last edited by ranchoparque; 04-09-2009 at 05:01 PM.. Reason: typo
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism